1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Plagiarism at Baptist Board

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lou Martuneac, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Dear BB Readers:

I have the unpleasant task of informing you of another stark example of plagiarism that is becoming common practice with some Grace Evangelical Society “Crossless” gospel advocates. This latest is from Free Gracer and this is not a first occurrence of blatant plagiarism on his part.

I will document Free Gracer’s plagiarism in a moment. First, however, as an FYI, Mr. Jim Johnson, another Crossless gospel advocate, committed plagiarism on scale that as far as anyone who witnessed it is concerned is unparalleled in Christian circles. You can read the documentation of Johnson’s massive plagiarism by viewing Copyright Infringement & Mass Plagiarism: Jim Johnson’s Series, Destroying Free Grace Theology.”

Wikipedia defines plagiarism as, “the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.” Now, I will draw your attention to the plagiarism of Free Gracer. As mentioned, this is not the first time that Free Gracer has been found to be plagiarizing the work of other men.

In the Was James Written to Believers thread, comment #7, Free Gracer posted an extended comment. That comment was copied and reposted by Baptist Believer on Page 5, comment #41.

I will not repost Free Gracer’s entire lengthy comment, but I am going to post samples from it followed by the same notes from the article he plagiarized. The article Free Gracer plagiarized is titled, FAITH WITHOUT WORKS: A DEFINITION by John Niemelä

EXAMPLE #1

Free Gracer (comment #7)
    From Niemelä’s FAITH WITHOUT WORKS, (p. 6, last paragraph)
    Example #2

From Free Gracer (Comment #7)
    From Niemelä’s FAITH WITHOUT WORKS, (p. 8, second paragraph)
    EXAMPLE #3

Free Gracer,
    From Niemelä’s FAITH WITHOUT WORKS, (p. 8, footnote #11.)
    This latest example of Free Gracer’s plagiarism was easy to recognize. The plagiarized author’s writing style is far superior to how Free Gracer typically writes. A simple search yielded the plagiarized document.

Free Gracer did not even try to disguise his plagiarism. Maybe he thought no one at the Baptist Board would be familiar with the writing of John Niemelä, another GES “Crossless” gospel advocate.

I have no explanation for why Free Gracer continues a pattern of plagiarism in his blog posting. One would expect the shame and humiliation of having been caught before would restrain him from new episodes such as this one. I am hopeful he will acknowledge and apologize without qualifying or trying to justify yet another example of his plagiarism?

LM

*Earlier today I e-mailed Antonio to inform him that his plagiarism has been discovered and will be noted at the BB.

#1 Lou Martuneac, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Two things:

1. Who cares.
    2. And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

1. plagairism is a crime. I hope we should care about that.
    2. I see nothing in LM's OP that didn't follow this guidline any more than 99.9% of the posts on the BB.

4. ReformedBaptist

Are you going to take your brother to court?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know you like reading things into statments...but where did you even remotely come to that conclusion :confused:

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The late commedian Milton Berle had a line that said, "I know a good joke when I steal one." That is :laugh:

Many Christians, from all points on the theological spectrum, seem to recognize a good 'theology point' when they steal it, as well. Unfortunately, that is :tear:

While I do not recall having addressed any particular incidents of slightly reworded plagiarism, per se, here on the Baptist Board, I have called out individuals who have "cut and pasted" items, without giving any credit to an author.

And Moderators and Administrators of the Baptist Board have called several into account for doing just this, as well, since I've been here. As well they should, IMO!
    Seems pretty clear to me.

Both plagiarism and 'chopping and gluing' without giving credit, are stealing - "pure, flat, and simple".

Ed

#6 EdSutton, Aug 19, 2008
  7. ReformedBaptist

You said it was a crime. I see nothing from this post from Lou or you that shows any desire to cover the brother's sin or restore him to Christ. Basically, I see no love at all...not the love of Christ. I see a desire to expose the brother's faults.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't say it's a crime, our government says it's a crime.

Also, you must have stopped reading before you got to Lou's last statment.

9. ReformedBaptist

Lou's comment is meaningless and empty as he already "exposed" his brother's sins.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...and this is strictly your opinion, of course.

11. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Who cares?

Who cares? All of responsible academia and every person and organization who cares about truth cares about and will never tolerate plagiarism.

What do you think happens to the seminary student who submits a paper that contains obvious plagiarism? Expelled!

I think you wrote that you are in seminary right now; or was it Baptist Believer; I don't remember. Tell the truth: If you turned in a thesis that was 5% plagiarized, 2% plagiarized and you admitted it; what would your academic counsel do about that? Give you a failing grade, expel you? There would be consequences for you wouldn’t there? You don’t care if another man plagiarizes?

What do you think happens to the journalist/author who is caught publishing work that is not his own? Fired, loss of career, reputation and credibility destroyed.

Imagine a husband/father in a career who is caught in an act of plagiarism. He is either reprimanded, and quite possibly fired. Imagine how the conversation goes when he has to tell his wife and kids he was terminated for plagiarism.

One would think that would be enough to restrain a man from repeatedly committing plagiarism.

Here is sample copyright statement,
    It is never right or allowable to plagiarize in any medium: print, electronic, film or blogging; NEVER!

What da Rosa did (again) is inexcusable. He will be forgiven, whether he admits it or not, but this is never tolerable.

BTW, your citing 1 Peter 4:8 as if that is grounds to allow for and wink at open sin is an abuse of the passage.

LM

#11 Lou Martuneac, Aug 19, 2008
  12. ReformedBaptist

1. Your not the man's pastor.
    2. Your not the one who has been plagairized.
    3. You did not go to your brother first before exposing him.
    4. If you are without sins, then you may cast the stones.
    5. I still have no impression from you that you have loved your brother in this.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

If you think there is a problem, or some law has been broken on the BB don't you think it better to report it rather then start a gossip thread naming the person?

14. ReformedBaptist

Thank you. I was feeling mighty alone calling for another way to deal with a brother's sin that laying out his dirty laundry for everyone to see.

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

As regards (#2.) Does stealing show this love, somehow? I don't think so, but maybe that is just me.

As regards (#1.) "Who cares?"

Uh, how about the Baptist Board - do we/they count?? You, I, and every other member of the Baptist Board, from Andrew T. and webmaster, every Administrator, and Moderator, to the newest member of the Baptist Board, from I Am Blessed 19 with 43,500+ posts to the newest member that has yet to make his or her first post, agreed to abide by certain rules and a "User Agreement" when we joined. Here is an excerpt from what we all agreed to:
    'Nuff said??

Ed

16. ReformedBaptist

I knew the legalists would sieze upon my "Who cares" statement. Ask me if I care? lol No, I am not winking at sin. No, I don't think stealing is ok.

You missed the point Ed, you of all people! This brother should have been taken aside and dealt with lovingly and privately. Nuff said?

And this is all that I am going to say on the subject. End of story.

RB

(goes back to writing in the sand...)

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Any you know matter of factly that this has not happened in the past?

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Who plagerized ths definton? Was it you or the author of wiki? You certainly failed to give proper attribution to the correct author:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Plagiarism

Maybe this is yet one more reason to not cite wikipedia but instead use real sources.

#18 Revmitchell, Aug 19, 2008
  19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is today "selective reading day" here at the BB? Lou started the very post you quoted by saying "Wikipedia defines plagairism as,..."
    This makes no sense since wikipedia is composed of "real" sources.

20. ReformedBaptist

Nope. Got to go with the information I have webdog. Nothing in Lou's post indicated he went lovingly to this brother before posting here.

That is all..I have to say..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.