1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Plan to Crack Down on 'Sanctuary Cities' Killed in Senate

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Oct 17, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

WASHINGTON — A House-passed plan to threaten local police agencies with losing federal money if they don't assist in cracking down on illegal immigration was defeated Tuesday in the Senate with a 52-42 vote.
    Sen. David Vitter, R-La., introduced the plan Tuesday in his chamber as part of the appropriations bill covering the Department of Justice. He said the amendment would take aim at so-called "sanctuary cities" that have policies that protect illegal immigrants from federal efforts to find them and deport them.
    "Some of our largest cities practice sanctuary policies that protect and provide assistance to illegal aliens. My amendment instructs (the Department of Justice) to withhold federal policing funds from those cities that continue their sanctuary city policies," Vitter said in news release.
    Vitter's amendment would withhold money from the Justice Department's Community Oriented Policing Services, or COPS, program. Recent awards for the program created during the Clinton administration include $43.6 million to 117 law enforcement agencies to fight methamphetamine; $159 million in technology grants to 37 agencies; and $15 million to seven Louisiana agencies for crime fighting in the state, according to recent Justice Department information.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,302464,00.html

2. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

"Vitter's amendment would withhold money from the Justice Department's Community Oriented Policing Services, or COPS, program. Recent awards for the program created during the Clinton administration include $43.6 million to 117 law enforcement agencies to fight methamphetamine; $159 million in technology grants to 37 agencies; and $15 million to seven Louisiana agencies for crime fighting in the state, according to recent Justice Department information."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,302464,00.html

Maybe this has something to do with the its defeat, but I don't know. If not, it would serve as a good excuse.

I admit that the democrats have been soft on illegal immigration, and this is something that I rank as one of the top problems our country faces today. The main problem is that the republicans are no better on this issue.