1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Politics in Corporate Worship: What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jaigner, Aug 15, 2010.

1. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

You can take it any way you want RAdam. I explained myself to Pastor Larry

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

That's funny, I read through the whole thread and I didn't see anyone claim that the US is somehow God's chosen people.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that is said like in the 8th verse of the Star Spangled Banner

4. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

It is? Wait there is no 8th verse. You're funnin me Salty

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hello jaigner. I commend you for your stance. As for me I NEVER say the pledge even outside of church since I believe it violates the command to swear not.(no oaths). :thumbs:

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume you know that the command of Jesus went even further, as he said, "Say 'yes, yes,' or 'no, no;' anything more than these comes of evil." So-- you don't pledge anything to anything/one. You must not sign anything like a "commitment card." You must not have a passport, since you must swear, or 'affirm,' your loyalty and defense of the constitution. Same for entering military service, plus an affirmation to obey the officers appointed over you. Certainly you made no "wedding vows." And, you never even joined Scouting.

Is all the above correct?

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You are correct. I would not join the military if I was required to make a pledge or swear allegiance. Making such a pledge does not cause it to happen. I would simply serve according to the Lord, not a constitution or I would not serve. I do not sign comment cards. I do not have a passport. I am single. I am not part of scouting. Like many today there is a wide spread effort to try and justify their disobedience to the Lord by trying to bring up scenarios where they claim one must disobey. However we never have to disobey. The Lord said if you love Me you will keep my commandments.
    I assume you were refering to Matt 5:37. The context of the passage is dealing with being honest and not trying to exceed that with an oath. In other words having a pure heart. There ws a time when a man was as good as his word, however today I am afraid very few men have such a standard. :thumbs:

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So does that mean the Bible contradict itself? Even God said I swear...
    Pledge is given 22 times
    Even God gave an oath (oath 61 times)

Could be we need to take this verse in context.

Remember - we should never say "but I have always believed that" rather - what does the Bible teach - in context?

Remember - "and Judas went out and hanged himself" - "go thou and do likewise" is not quite in context

9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I would agree.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=710612106

Listen to both parts. I think pastor weaver makes some very good points.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Like I said the liberal church is always seeking ways to justify their sin. The bible never says we are to hang ourselves. Men twist scriptures by adding to them for their own use and self justification to over come conviction and live in disobedience. I have one Lord, not two. He alone receives my duty, not any pledge. For those who want to pledge to a flag, a statue or what ever else do so, but for me I make it to the Son of God and no one or nothing else. :thumbs:

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears you took my post out of context - oh well

12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

My apologies. Please explain if you would? :tonofbricks:

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

14. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Was not Paul making an oath when he said, "I call God as my witness—and I stake my life on it—that it was in order to spare you that I did not return to Corinth." - 2 Co. 1:23

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

In the passage you gave Paul is not invoking an oath. He is simply calling God as a witness to what he (Paul) had already done. He is not swearing an oath to someone or something other then God.

To make a pledge of allegiance to a flag one is making a pledge that they are now required to carry out without conditions. The person in essence has made a vow to disregard God's calling, and commands, and place the flag above Him. We are warned not to make pledges/vows and then not keep them. You cannot have two masters. I choose to not make the pledge/vow and have just one Master. The falg/country will receive my support as long as it does not violate the word of God. However in those times when it does I have comitted no dishonor to the Lord by making a pledge that I cannot/will not keep. :thumbs:

16. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Really? Paul's words sound alot like swearing and affirming. In fact they sound exactly like that. At any rate his words are considerably more than just a yea or nay. Could it be that Paul realized Jesus only meant that we shouldn't swear falsely, and that a commitment is meant to be kept?

I'll inform the army of your position on this. They'll be very disappointed, but may carry on after some fashion.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think that the Lord would have said that if that is what He meant. Adding to scripture is a very dangerous practice.:thumbs: