1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll on Doctrines of Grace and Free Will

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CF1, Nov 12, 2010.

?
  1. Doctrines of Grace / Predestination / 5 Point Calvinism

38 vote(s)
    55.1%
  2. Doctrines of Grace / Predestination / 4 Point Calvinism

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Doctrines of Grace / Predestination / 3 Point Calvinism

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Accepting a mixture of Grace and Free Will

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  5. Doctrines of Free Will + Eternal Security is Secure

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  6. Doctrines of Free Will / Full Arminianism

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Open Theism (God can make up his mind later)

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Don't believe we should summarize the Bible in terms above

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  9. Undecided / Have not really studied it enough to know what I believe with the terms above

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. A mixture of various views above (I checked multiple options)

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Back when this thread was started (almost a month ago) I voted 4 point. Like my friend here from Bama, the two that give me "minor" heartburn are Limited Atonement and Irresistible Grace. I think he summs up pretty well how I see things at this point of studying this issue.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Webdog is correct. Anytime a Christian is in the "majority", they need to step back and be sure their beliefs are in agreement with scripture. Remember, the nation of Isreal thought it was in agreement with Law, yet Christ told them they had missed the entire point.

3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Huh?

I think I'm done in this particular thread. We're so far and scattered that any attempt to salvage our discussion will prove futile.

Look for me to pick up fresh in the next one.

Also, I'm having to curtail my time on the board, as they are checking computer activity at work these days. This does not qualify as work related, so if I'm gone more, don't take that as that I don't have a response or don't care about the issues. Just can't spend as much time! :tear:

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Huh? :) I was following along quite nicely.
    No problem, look forward to it.
    ...you mean after the thesis you wrote about marriage on the other thread, right? ;) I'm just needling you, my whipped brother :D

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK? Thennnnn who is in the majority? Is she talking the poll or is she talking world view?

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Exactly. Calvinism is a minority. It is a majority here, among people who study and care enough about God's Word to spend time debating and defending it, but a decided minority in the marginal church in America. I think that is quite telling.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Should I be offended at this post? Or maybe you didn't mean it the way it sounded?

I am not a Calvinist, but believe me, I study and care about God's word.

Calvinists certainly aren't the only ones who love God.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I meant exactly what I said. I wasn't the one who brought up the "broad path" argument. That was one from your side of this debate, against the results of this poll; I suggest you direct your offense against her.

But, yes, the only place that Calvinism is a majority, is among Bible scholars/Seminary professors. Calvinism is in the minority among the laity. That does seem to suggest something.

The fact is, someone is wrong. And I think that someone is you.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

And you Calvinists wonder why we "Bible-believers" say you are arrogant? That's right, it's only we who reject this evil, man-made, ungodly, straight from hell doctrine that know anything about what God is really doing. If I thought this were actually true, which I don't, would you admire me for stating what I believe is true, or would you be offended at my comments?

You may not like it or even want to admit it, but there are sincere God-loving Christians on both sides of this issue.

10. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I Like this quote. Which goes back to the question: What is essential for salvation? My answer the grace of God made manifest by the Blood of Jesus Christ.

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

It is not arrogant to believe you are right. On the other hand, it is idiotic to be accepting of things which you believe are not only wrong, but rob God of glory, and besmirch His holy name.

As far as your last comment; just because someone is sincere, and God loving, doesn't mean they are right.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well...alrighty then.

Your post really isn't worth the effort to respond to, except to say that I will not be directing my offense at my sister MK. I KNOW she loves the Lord and doesn't deserve your harsh words against her.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yea, I think this is true. It seems to be a problem developing on here that one cannot state anything authoritatively or frankly without being attacked as arrogant.

We have to speak in platitudes and tip toe around everyone's feeling laden sleeves until the men on here seem almost effeminate.

It is as if our speech is to be so bland and trite that nobody is ever wrong and everybody is always right. The only exception is when someone says he is right and someone else is wrong- then that person is arrogant and abrasive and unchristian and immature- and wrong.

Debate seems to be less and less about iron sharpening iron and more and more about propping up one another's tender egos.

More on this on the "baptist DEBATE forums" thread in the General Baptist section...

#113 Luke2427, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2010
  14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

15. quantumfaith

This is a "logically equivalent" statement for ALL parties and positions concerned.

16. quantumfaith

"In essentials, Unity; In non-essentials, Liberty; In all things, Love."
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Changed my mind. I am going to respond to this.

Exactly what does that suggest to you?

The laity is too stupid to understand God's word? Only "scholars" and "professors" have to ability to interpret God's word correctly?

This is the perfect example of arrogance. And worse, it is directed towards the brethren.

It reminds me of the Catholic church, who decided the Word of God did not belong in the hands of the common man. I am thankful for men like Tynedale who died to put the Word in the hands of stupid people like me.

#117 Amy.G, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2010
  18. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I will be gone for this entire day and don't have time to fully answer all the points raised since last night.

I will say however that my "broad path" comment was meant to accomplish just what it has: it shows the pride and arrogance of those Calvinists who insist they are correct in their views without being able to substantially answer the questions posed by "the other side".

Luke, both here and in his other thread wants to know why we all don't understand that Calvinists are right and everyone else wrong, because of some misguided idea of "authority". I answered that in his new thread and won't repeat it here, except for to say that NO ONE HERE is my authority. Go read the rest over on the other thread.

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Amy, I don't know what's happened to you, my dear friend, but you seem to have changed somewhat in your posts, especially when it comes to dealing with those who hold to a view different than yours. I miss my friend.

20. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

That's the one bad thing most people see concerning those who have a reformed theology.

They hold this elitist attitude. They also tend to then go further and feel that only those who know the languages should say what the Bible says. We have therefore replaced the Spirit who leads into all truth to the "pseudo-scholars"!

Another thing, look how the man on here addresses a lady, Amy. Ridiculous.

Then the abrasive ones that say to one another "You're not abrasive!"

It's like one sheet of sandpaper saying to the other sheet of sandpaper "Am I abrasive?" and the other replies "No, am I?" to which the other replies "Not at all!"

pfffft.

:thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.