1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Real Wine in Communion

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by LadyEagle, Jan 9, 2006.

?
  1. Yes.

88.5%
  2. No.

11.5%
  3. Don't know - no opinion.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. natters

natters New Member

Found this while doing some other research:

One of the earliest church fathers, Clement of Alexandria, lived in the 2nd century A.D. He wrote a chapter on wine (The Instructor, Book 2, chapter 2: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf02.vi.iii.ii.ii.html). Here are some interesting (to me, anyway) exerpts from him:

"I therefore admire those who have adopted an austere life, and who are fond of water, the
    medicine of temperance, and flee as far as possible from wine, shunning it as they would the danger of fire."

"And in the case of grown-up people, let those with whom it agrees sometimes partake of dinner, tasting bread only, and let them abstain wholly from drink; in order...But towards evening, about supper-time, wine may be used, when we are no longer engaged in more serious readings. Then also the air becomes colder than it is during the day; so that the failing natural warmth requires to be nourished by the introduction of heat. But even then it must only be a little wine that is to be used; for we must not go on to intemperate potations. Those who are already advanced in life may partake more cheerfully of the draught, to warm by the harmless medicine of the vine the chill of age, which the decay of time has produced. For old men’s passions are not, for the most part, stirred to such agitation as to drive them to the shipwreck of drunkenness. For being moored by reason and time, as by anchors, they stand with greater ease the storm of passions which rushes down from intemperance. They also may be permitted to indulge in pleasantry at feasts. But to them also let the limit of their potations be the point up to which they keep their reason
    unwavering, their memory active, and their body unmoved and unshaken by wine."

"But the miserable wretches who expel temperance from conviviality, think excess in drinking to be the happiest life; and their life is nothing but revel, debauchery, baths, excess, urinals, idleness, drink. You may see some of them, half-drunk, staggering, with crowns round their necks like wine jars, vomiting drink on one another in the name of good fellowship; and others, full of the effects of their debauch, dirty, pale in the face, livid, and still above yesterday’s bout pouring another bout to last till next morning. It is well, my friends, it is well to make our acquaintance with this picture at the greatest possible distance from it, and to frame ourselves to what is better, dreading lest we also become a like spectacle and laughing-stock to others."

"In what manner do you think the Lord drank when He became man for our sakes? As shamelessly as we? Was it not with decorum and propriety? Was it not deliberately? For rest assured, He Himself also partook of wine; for He, too, was man. And He blessed the wine, saying, “Take, drink: this is my blood”—the blood of the vine. He figuratively calls the Word “shed for many, for the remission of sins”—the holy stream of gladness. And that he who drinks ought to observe moderation, He clearly showed by what He taught at feasts. For He did not teach affected by wine. And that it was wine which was the thing blessed, He showed again, when He said to His disciples, “I will not drink of the fruit of this vine, till I drink it with you in the kingdom of my Father.” But that it was wine which was drunk by the Lord, He tells us again, when He spake concerning Himself, reproaching the Jews for their hardness of heart: “For the Son of man,” He says, “came, and they say, Behold a glutton and a wine-bibber, a friend of publicans.”"

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I agree. That's why I don't eat 17 donuts at a time or make love to my wife in public. </font>[/QUOTE]Thank the Lord!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you natters. I really needed that laugh today! :D