1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Positive rather than negative morality

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Joseph M. Smith, Dec 29, 2010.

1. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

Church government (or whatever the proper term) of Baptist churches has always bothered me. I have seen what you call the laissez-faire attitude of the congregation and the pastor decision-making take a church down the wrong road. This type of church government sometimes leads to people in the pews getting wounded, switching churches, or quit church all together. Some of the wounded stay and develop the attitude of not wanting to get too close.

It is good to hear some churches have a strong constitution, bylaws, policies, procedures, and (it is hoped) some sort of oversight.

Another area that bothers me is the vendor relationships of a church. I attended a church a couple of decades ago where the pastor made a push for a new activities center. Well, after the funding drive, the pastor's brother-in-law ends up doing the construction work.

Churches need ethics, just like businesses and government.

...Bob

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The consensus of the medical world is that a limited amount of alcohol is beneficial to the cardio-vascular system, especially in the form of red wine.

Sure, if you look hard enough you can find a contrary opinion.

The problem is not in the lack of benefit but in the act of over indulgence.

The heart that requires over indulgence in any good thing is the problem.​

Mark 7
    18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;
    19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?
    20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.
    21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,
    22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
    23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man.​

A similar but more focused question than the O/P:

What's the benefit of eating a Krispy Kreme donut fried in hydrogenated fat, saturated with refined sugar and starch each ranging from 200-400 calories with no "real" nutrition?

Just the taste-bud pleasure and probably not a major health risk for most of us if we eat just one a day (or less often).

Or the benefit of ingesting carbon dioxide from a carbonated cola drink containing fructose corn syrup, sugar, phosphoric acid and caffeine at 160 calories per can?

Again, just the pleasure and probably not a major health risk for most of us if we drink just one a day (or less often).

HankD

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

When I get some time, I will rewrite this whole discussion using another example. This discussion was NOT intended to be about alcohol, but about the style of ethical decision-making that we might consider. Do we decide about moral issues on the basis of what is wrong and therefore should be avoided? To be sure, we must. But can we not also look at certain actions and decide that, while there may be nothing particularly or intrinsically wrong with them, there is also not much that is right, positive, life-giving, kingdom-affirming.

Stay tuned.