1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Powerful Video!!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JerryL, Apr 1, 2008.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

So when are you going to let us in on the secret of your perfect representation of the the "picture of glory" in the Bible?

Please, try not to make us laugh as you explain it.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

You do realize that a drama is not meant to be what we think it will literally be like? Right?

It is a portrayal...a picture....a representation...trying to get a message across....hmmm...sounds similar to a method of teaching Jesus used, how about that!

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't have a "perfect representation" of the "picture of glory" in the Bible. But as we read the Bible, can you think of any place where the glory of God and the greatness of salvation is trivialized in such a fashion as this?

And where did Jesus use something like this?

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

wow....nothing to offer but criticism. Who would have guessed.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Well, certainly Jesus never was in a drama. However, his method of teaching did involve teaching what the kingdom of God was like. Using things illustrate specific truths. Heaven forbid we do the same.

#45 dan e., Apr 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

And deservingly so. There is nothing to compliment in this video. And the evidence of that is seen not only by looking at the video, but by looking at the things people here are saying about it.

Well said. And very damning of this video which presents nothing of what the kingdom is like. Heaven forbid we do the same.

7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I would argue that this drama is not intending to show what the kingdom of God is like....but it is trying to put in a picture the process of the gospel. By that I mean why we need it, and how it saves us. So, in this way it is using a similar method of what Jesus used. It is a drama showing that this is what the gospel is like. When coupled with preaching the gospel, it is extremely effective. Especially in areas where there is a language barrier. You can portray the gospel very effectively. I've done it. I've seen it happen.

You need to lighten up on how quick you are to bash certain methods. It calls much of your character into question, as well as your experience. Something like this tells me you have little experience in attempting to communicate the gospel to people who don't enjoy listening to you preach at them. Tell me if I'm wrong...but that is how your harsh criticisms come off to me.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

When we read the prophets, we see that God used object lessons to communicate His truths. If God can use representative objects to teach His truth, why can't we?

Sorry, Brother Larry...you have a right to your opinion on this issue (as do I), but it is just opinion.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I recall reading somewhere that this drama was done at a youth conference. So, it was directed at youth and it wasn't done as part of a church service. (not that I would have a problem with that personally.)

Just some info.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

So now we are back to having no place where Jesus did this, since your argument was that Jesus did stuff like this to show what the kingdom is like. You have just undermined your own argument it seems to me.

I see nothing in this video of the process of the gospel.

What is it about people dancing across the stage to a inane song that is like the gospel? What scriptural basis is there for this being like the gospel?

Why would you think I am quick to "bash" certain methods? Trust me, this is a long studied conclusion that is only strengthened by stuff like this. The fact that no one here can articulate a biblical basis for it only furthers strengthens it.

Why is it that someone who evalutes somethign biblically has their character called into question? This type of personal attack has no place in this discussion. My character is fine. Question my view if you like, but not my character. And when you question my view, please use Scripture. So far, that remains strangely absent here.

You are wrong. My criticisms are harsh because this video is unacceptable biblically. The church today is grossly deceived and this is more evidence of it.

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

We can. I am not against the use of object lessons to communicate with people. I am not sure where you got that from. Reading my comments should help to show that my objection is to the trivial nature of this "object lesson" combined with the inane song that communicates no recognizable biblical truth about the gospel, combined with the very low view of Christ and the gospel that is found in it.

Perhaps it is only your opinion that my view is an opinion. Why not bring some Scripture to bear on this? So far, the best that has been put forward is an assertion that was later retracted by dan e. And you assertion that prophets used object lessons, which is hardly disputable, but hardly relevant.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I got a different meaning out of the video. I saw it as the girl being a lost sheep. I interpreted it to mean that the girl was saved, then the world drew her back into it and Christ went after the lost sheep and brought her back to him.
    I didn't see it as a presentation of the gospel, which is saving lost people.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

That makes it worse doesn't it, since it tacitly argues that it is okay to give our young people a low view of God and the gospel that would not be appropriate in church (though you say you don't have a problem with that). "It was just a youth conference" is a very bad argument, it seems to me.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

More evidence that my "opinion" is well-founded. This is murky at best. There is no clear meaning in it, and certainly no clear presentation of the gospel.

15. dan e.

dan e. New Member

That isn't a picture of the gospel?

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Yeah, right.

I don't trust your judgment on this. You allow your preference to cloud your "long studied conclusion".

Like I said, this is just a means to portray a picture. Nobody said it is the only way, or the best way (that would sound too much like your position), but it is a way; and it can work.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The "gospel" is good news for lost sinners.

The girl in the video was saved, but she strayed. It was a story of God's love toward His children. If we stray, He will not abandon us, but bring us back to Him.

That's just my opinion.

Since it's a drama and not scripture, I imagine others who watch it may get a different meaning.

18. dan e.

dan e. New Member

The girl is God's creation of humans. Obviously the guy plays God. He creates her, gives her control of His creation, then she leaves to follow sin represented by different temptations. Then, God comes down and takes her sin, and saves her. This drama is a picture.

19. dan e.

dan e. New Member

And how is this drama not putting that into a picture?

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh: See, we each got a different picture.
    Like I said, it's just my opinion.

I still liked the video and see nothing wrong with it.