1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pray obama fails?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ps104_33, Jan 20, 2009.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You got it Brother...

If my candidate wins then he is a prayer answering God.

If my candidate looses then he is passing judgment on the nation and you can't blame me...

No two ways about it... :thumbsup:

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Brother, I believe many of us have put God in our little boxes of who we think God is.

There's a holy wild to God that we need to respect.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Of course we should and I do (Dan 2:21). It is too easy to forget that so thanks for reminding me (us).

==Though I did not vote for Mr. Obama, and though I strongly disagree with him on some issue, I pray that he is a good president.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Martin, I'm with you.

5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Praying against Obama politically is praying that America will fall into a depression. Do you really want that to happen?

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could you give us the primary source of that information?

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I posted the link above in my post. It was from an interview with the then religion reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times newspaper back in 2004 before he won the senate seat (but had gotten the nomination for his party). It is well documented.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then is anyone who runs against him in '12 running against God? Or does God really let the voters decide who will be in office and claim responsibility?

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==No place in Scripture are we told to sit by and do nothing. Different people will run for office and God's will will be done. The person God has chosen to place in that office at that time will be placed there (Dan 2:21). God is sovereign, He is in total control. That is why we can trust Bible prophecy. God not only knows what is going to happen, He is in control of what happens. That means everything that occurs on this planet is either caused by God or allowed by God. And everything God causes or allows is caused or allowed for a reason. Mark my words, George W Bush was President of the United States from 2001 until 2009 for a reason and Barak Obama will be President of the United States from 2009 until 2013 or 2017 for a reason. We may not yet know the reason, but God does. In that I take comfort, regardless who the President is.

#89 Martin, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
  10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks. What I read reminds me of what many in Baptists churches believe and struggle with because of their lack of knowledge and growth. Most in the church today are not discipled but rather preached to and taught to but never taught to personally follow Christ. They are told the way but not shown the way. No parent in their right mind would ever do such a foolish thing to their children.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And if he gets bumped off, that will be God's will. Correct?

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The OP would certainly indicate that the person would never help Obama to be successful and then if he did fail the person would chalk it up to God. If Obama did become a success who could take the blame for that?

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Turn the tide toward what???

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I would not put it this way - is this an idea from that guy who likes to beat drums in the woods like the New Agers?

God is not wild; Jesus is not wild. Wildness connotes being uncivilized, out of control, and primitive. God is strong and mighty but not wild. I think being wild is part of the fallen nature.

15. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This I do agree with.

So I will pray for Pres. Obama as we are told to do in Scripture. However, I will also pray that he will not be allowed to further evil agendas, such as abortion or same sex unions.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Marcia, "wild" has a metaphoric meaning of not being domesticated.

Are human beings able to control?

There's a Holy Wild to God.

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm with Marcia here----President Obama isn't the most brilliant person who could have run for President---whether Demo or Rep or Indep---nevertheless--he's in for 4 and maybe 4 more----for a picture of true political brilliance---study Condy Rice!!!

I feel though---he's in the White House with "Oprah" doctrine riding his wake and Oprah theology is with him in his waking and sleeping hours----and perhaps the devil will attempt to "sift him as wheat"

Hense is where you and I as true born again believers step in---to pray that "hedge" of protection around him--both physically and spiritually---and to pray that the Holy Spirit will bring conviction to his soul on those issues that press him everyday.---Jesus said Himself that the Holy Spirit's job is to "convict the world of sin"-----may He write on the walls of the Oval Office---just like He did back centuries ago in another dude's office!!!

Bro. David

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calling God "wild" does not become right, just, or respectful just because you add the word "Holy" to it.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here's what Ligon Duncan has to say about praying for our new president:

You can read the entire thing at http://fpcj.blogspot.com/2009/01/pastors-perspective_20.html

20. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I'm not sure what you mean by that. My statement is based on Scripture and therefore stands without need of further comment. If you believe history is out of God's control then you are unorthodox in your beliefs.