1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer Meeting Problems

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by UpwardBound, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

Yes Jason to me it is very wierd also that there is even this problem. But there is.

Why doesn't everyone attend the Wed. Night Service, or Bible Study or help with the children/youth? And why isn't Choir practice scheduled on a different day?

Sherrie

2. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Diane, it's called "Reducing the Risk" and we have it here also. Anyone who works with children, 6th grade and under, must have a background check kept on file. There must be at least 2 adults in each room with children, and all doors must have a glass pane in them for anyone to be able to see in.

Unfortunately, in today's world, I think "Reducing the Risk" is a good and necessary program.

3. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

We have a Wednesday night prayer meeting, but it's called Pastor's Bible Study and Prayer Meeting. We also have our discipleship classes at the same time on Wednesday night, so "Wednesday Night Pastor's Bible Study and Prayer Meeting" is mostly attended by senior adults who are not in other classes. Choir meets immediately after Bible Study/Prayer Meeting and discipleship classes.

AWANA meets at the same time, so most of the kids are there. We have childcare for children under age 4.

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

We have choir on Sunday mornings before Sunday School. We made the transition due to the fact that it's hard to get out of prayer meeting at 8:00-8:30 and get in a good rehearsal. Sunday morning has worked out for us. [​IMG]

Many churches call it Prayer Meeting and spend only 10 minutes or so really praying. Cut the announcements, sing a hymn, share the word and spend some time in prayer. Bible Study is important, but, sometimes we need to just pray. I've been to the Wed. night services where they spend 5-10 mins welcoming and announcing, singing 3-4 hymns, Bible study and giving 5-10 minutes to prayer.

I was at a church that met on Saturday nights to pray together and at the end focus (praying) for the next day services. We always had a great turn out. Sadly, the church gradually kept putting it off until it stopped altogether. The pastor and staff fell into backbiting and division. When they were'nt at each others throat, they teamed up against the deacons. I asked a friend/deacon what happened and he said we stopped praying.. :eek: The church withered and split. I don't want to be there again.

5. UpwardBound

UpwardBound New Member

What established the "proper time of one hour" for prayer meeting?? That was my question. It doesn't matter to me who meets where. I was more curious as to why it took a congregational vote to change the length of a service. [/QUOTE]

That is the way this church works. Church council must first consider it. They then decide whether it goes to the congregation for a vote.
    This is how it originally got reduced to 45 minutes to accomodate the choir.

As to what makes the one hour model the standard, of 100 churches polled, all except one used the one hour. That did not preclude it from going longer if the Spirit moved. In our case, it cannot go longer because the choir begins its practice at 7:15 p.m. in the same area prayer meeting is held. So, once its forty-five minutes are up, its up.

As I stated before, the choir gets first consideration in our church, prayer meeting gets second seat. Those in charge set it up this way. Those in charge want to keep it this way.

6. UpwardBound

UpwardBound New Member

Well, the choir has 12 members. The practice room holds 20. Prayer meeting is to large for the practice room. We do have a large fellowship hall, however, where prayer meeting would go very nicely. There are a lot of older people in our church, though, who feel prayer meeting belongs in the sanctuary.

7. UpwardBound

UpwardBound New Member

Hi Jason. I have a hard time understanding this as well. I am one of the ones trying to work this all out, but the problem is, I am not a deacon or on the church council where these decisions are made. I am here to get perspective from others so some of us "members" can go to the Council and get our views in on how best to resolve this problem between prayer meeting and choir.

This issue became an us versus them kind of thing when the choir wanted to begin practice early, but the prayer meeting, being one hour, prevented that. So, the church council's answer at that time was, reduce the prayer meeting to forty-five minutes. Which has caused a lot of trouble for prayer meeting. Over the years prayer meeting has lost a lot of participants on account of this change. When asked to make some change which allows the prayer meeting to have its hour, (Or more), no one in leadership is interested enough to do anything about it. In this case, it really has been choir versus prayer meeting. It is the first time in forty years I have ever seen anything like this.

Hopefully, soon, prayer meeting can get another room, another day, a longer time. Still, I always value the perspective of others and that is why I am here getting that perspective. [​IMG]

8. UpwardBound

UpwardBound New Member

UPDATE! I started this thread to get feedback on my church's prayer meeting/choir conflict. Thought I would update everyone.

Prayer meeting got its full hour restored. Choir was told to move into and use their music room for practice. The choir refused, however, to change its time by fifteen minutes so it would not conflict with prayer meeting. Since choir overlaps prayer meeting, the choir still cannot attend prayer meetings.

9. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

UpwardBound...I am happy you got your hour, sad they will not move into their own new room, and also they still do not have a chance to pray.

Sherrie

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is preventing the choir from attending the "HOUR OF POWER" In my view, they are CHOOSING NOT TO ATTEND!
    I concour with a previous post. "Where is the leadership?"