1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Prayer (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by David Ekstrom, Dec 25, 2006.

1. David Ekstrom

David Ekstrom New Member

As we approach a new year, I'm thinking, as I'm sure you are, of what needs to be done to advance God's kingdom this coming year.

Last year we baptized five people. I guess to most of you that doesn't seem like much, but to me it was really something. Our church is very small and it's been down for quite a while. I really, really, really prayed for fruit. I walked that sanctuary so many times. I got into that baptistry that had sat dry for many years and prayed again and again.

God blessed. But why don't I always pray like that? Why am I so hot and cold? Why is fervent, persistent, got-to-have-it-or-I'll-die praying so rare with me? I think the difference between me and the people God really blesses is that they are always like what I'm rarely like.

"You have not because you ask not." And I ask not because I want not. Or rather, as James says, I want but the things that I want are selfish, ungodly and worldly.

But at least at this moment, here I am, Lord. For the moment, I want godly things. I want conversions. I want baptisms. I want growth in my church. Not just spiritual growth. I want numeric growth. Don't know how long this will last but I'm asking now.

How about you? What does God want you to want?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Nice testimony!

Heart felt prayer is always the right thing to do. I hope to be committed in that area this next year as well.