1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Praying in King James??

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by annsni, Nov 17, 2010.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Just think of it this way. If you are an older Christian, and all you have used all your life is the KJV (i.e. you don't have much use for mv's); much Scripture has been committed to memory over your lifetime, then it is only natural that over that period of time one has become accustomed to pray in the language that you read the sacred Word, and have memorized it. It is not sin, strange, odd. It is what many older Christians do. They shouldn't be labeled pretentious, hypocritical or all the other silly accusations thrown against them. That is what they have been doing all of their lives. I find it odd, that to accommodate a few people, arrogance would demand of these dear folk that they would "translate" in their mind all the KJV Scripture into modern English before they use them in prayer. Not saying you do Ann, but it seems that that is what some on the board would advocate.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh OK. I thought you were saying this to ME and I just said that I thought it was interesting since I had never heard it. :)

3. CF1

CF1 New Member

I remember the 1-3 year period when people began talking about how you can pray without Thee's and Thou's. It was a very uncomfortable time for many to decide to break away from the Thee's and Thou's. There were solemn questions in people's minds whether they should do it or not. As some took the plunge and started to pray without Thee's and Thou's, it sounded strange at first, then it became more natural.

It's kind of like when businesses started to have optional casual dress, no tie, blue jeans, etc on Fridays. That was a hard change for many. Or like when JF Kennedy did not wear a hat, and then men stopped wearing hats everywhere they went.

Other languages don't use Thee's and Thou's. Yet formal English speakers placed a high reverence on using Thee's and Thou's in their language for many, many years. For those that still remember those ways of speaking it is still meaningful to them.

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I use to laugh when I went to a COG service where just after worship time was "prophesy time" or some one always spoke in "tongues". Interestingly, the interpreter always began his/her message from God the same way: "Thus Saith the Lord!" God can't seemed to get past the King James vernacular.

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You seem to have not comprehended my statement. I have said at numerous points that quoting a sacred text is totally different than just slipping into this prayer language. Heck, most of the Bible I memorized as a child is in KJ, and that's how I would quote it. So just quote the KJ. Same thing with hymn lyrics or similar texts. Just quote them as they are.

I also said it's not that big of a deal...and merely that people shouldn't feel the need to shift over into another way of speaking to talk to the Creator. And unless they talk in KJ all the time, there shouldn't need to be any translation of their own thoughts.

So let's just chill out a bit, dude.

6. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "we" ?

Isn't this thought from your heart the same as saying a person is wrong for praying with thees and thous? And the scripture states that all wrong doing is sin, correct?

The sin would be judging with one's heart another's God given liberty or motives without knowledge.

Some of the post in this thread have spoken from a judgmental heart.

Others need to examine themselves to see if their own heart is guilty of this sin even though they may not have revealed it here with their words.

:jesus:

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Nobody thinks it's a sin. I don't. I don't think anyone here likely thinks that.

And I'm not judging. I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for this, and if all is right in their heart between them and God, then certainly proceed in the same manner.

But we still need to think theologically, examining all of our little idioms and idiosyncrasies for their implications in our lives. It might be that they are just a crutch, a gimmick, or actually a barrier that we place up between our hearts and God.

That's certainly work laid aside for the Spirit.

So carry on as you wish. Kinda sorry I even entered this discussion, since a bunch of folks seem to just be ready to jump on me.