1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preaching I would Not Listen To...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm in agreement with you here, brother. But I have another question, why is it that a few preachers, there message stick with you, much better than most and there are only a few of those preachers that I'm talking about, the message sticks, they are very good. Some I haven't heard in years and I can still hear them in my mind and am still learning from them and I don't mean one sermon but most of what I have heard from them. I do like sermons that teach. Some that come to mine:

R. G. Lee
    R.B. Thieme, Jr.
    Adrian Rogers
    Al Janney

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Preaching that uses the specific names of people in attendence. The Pastor did that to me once, and althouth it was a compliment, I could've just died. Everyone was staring at me. I wanted to just grab my purse and run out the door. Also preachers who scream and pace like drill sergeants. One time we had a visiting preacher like that. He actually stopped walking and stood there sreaming just inches from one guy's face. I really did think a fight was going to break out, but the man stayed where he was and just brushed it off. Kudos to him! I might of gotten up and screamed back myself!

love,

Sopranette

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've slept through some pretty good sermons myself while in the pew, and I'm a preacher.
    I found out that it is not easy to sit down and stare at the man on the pulpit for a long time without dozing off.
    At first I thought maybe it was because of age, but then I saw some young men, who were quite active in their churches, do the same.

Call it adult attention deficit or whatever.

But there are certain conditions, IMO, which can lull one to sleep even if the sermon is quite interesting and instructive, or the speaker is eloquent and persuasive.

Lighting, or maybe the height of the podium vs the seats or pews, a humming from the fans or the air-conditioning, a tendency for the speaker to adopt a monotonous tone of voice or draw up lengthy illustrations with too many embellishments, the age/s of the listeners, their physical conditions.

I will not take offense at anyone who sleeps in church while I'm preaching, personally.

If you reread the responses, none are expressing that they would rather hear things soothing to the ear, IMO.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Sleep apnia (sp) is common and I never call on or put anyone on the spot for sleeping. I just make sure that they are not near any windows. :laugh: Acts 20:9
    And again I can agree with 90% of what is posted here. Maybe even 95% but who's counting.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I used to work the night shift 20 years ago in my late 20s and early 30s. I would get off around 7 or 8am and then be at Church for am services. By noon it would be all I could take to remain awake. Often I would surrender to fatigue and I got so good at it that I could keep my head still but I could not overcome the deep snort right after dozing off. Those were very tough days.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

50ish. I think he was born in 55. He brings this guy from Youngstown every year to do his Churches anniversary. My understanding is the guy has a fairly good size congregation in Youngstown.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I have no problem with a preacher using anecdotes, but they must serve the preaching of the Word, not the other way around.

We were called to Preach the Word, not preach anecdotes. But in some quarters, this I'm afraid has been lost upon many.

8. Gayla

Gayla New Member

How 'bout when the preacher makes a point that he, apparently, thinks should get an AMEN.
    Then he'll say, "Say Amen, or not."

9. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I think there is a tendency among some preachers to try to make the sermon relevant to 21st century American Christians. And too much emphasis on talking about how much Jesus loves us, imo. I don't think that you can get any more relevant than that Christ died to save sinners, of who I am chief, as Paul stated. And in terms of relevancy, WWJD is not nearly as important as WDJD (read 1 Cor 15:1-4.)

So I encourage all you preachers to preach the Word, God's Word, not your word. Remember to condescend to men of low estate. Preach with words in power, but not in words to impress your listeners with your education, or insight, or wisdom. Strive to train your listeners to challenge their ability to hear, and comprehend. While persecution may cause many to seek Christ, it doesn't have to be that way. God's Word doesn't return void. Plant and water. Trust Christ to give the increase.

my two cents

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

His ministry cause some members in a church I pastored to be led astray.

#50 gb93433, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
  11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We do not have to try because scripture is relevant.

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sometimes I force myself to watch TBN and listen to those wacky preachers on there to see if I can figure out why people like them so much. The most I've been able to stand it is about three minutes, and that three minutes made me sick to my stomach. I can't stand charismatic nonsense (Hinn), false prophecy (Pat Robertson), or sugary stuff (Osteen).

13. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

What's wrong with that again? Job was a prosperous Godly man.
    Not that a Christian should be worried about receiving wealth.

Nothing wrong with sticking to the right Bible. ;)
    We only need one, not an updated, watered-down version every year.

Also, there's nothing wrong with a shouting and Bible-thumping preacher.
    I wouldn't attend a church with a soft- spoken watered-down pastor.

Pastors who give pardons to sinners who don't truly repent and justify sins need to step down.
    Too many brush aside sins that are acceptable to people now because they are afraid of losing members.

I know one online where the pastor laughed when the soon to marry bride said that her and her fiance, basically were fornicating. This "pastor" needs to find another job.

Me either.

14. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

James 2:17-26 (KJV)
    17: Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
    18: Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
    19: Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
    20: But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
    21: Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
    22: Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
    23: And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
    24: Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
    25: Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
    26: For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

15. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay well I dont get why people put preachers on TV down. Some of them are very good. Yeah theres the whole doctrine thing for those of you who are into that, I personally am not. I know the Lord loves me for who I am jeans wearing, non-kjv, short spiky blonde highlighted hair woman that I am. I work outside my home and come home and run my house and the kids. My husband has it in his head that his career as a soldier comes before me and the kids so I pick up the slack as the head of household. A job I enjoy? Nope not a chance. It was those preachers like Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer and Jesse Duplantis and others who have gotten me through the last 18 months of my life. Do I agree with everything they teach/preach, no but some of what they say really does speak to you. :wavey:

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is the same sort of people who listen to the shout, stomp, and spit preachers.

17. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

You mean the pastors that have passion and zeal for the Lord. :smilewinkgrin:

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Perhaps you should mull over 1 Tim 6:5-10:

"People who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. 6 Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, 7 for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. 8 But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 9 But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. 10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs."

19. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

What's wrong with that again? Job was a prosperous Godly man.

Not that a Christian should be worried about receiving wealth.

Seems you bypass things. ;)

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

It seems like you were in support of the prosperity "gospel," God's wants you healthy and God wants you wealthy.

There's a big difference with Job and what these guys are preaching today.

I think you'll agree with me.