1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Precedence of Baptism as a Prerequisite for Participation in Lord's Supper

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Hardsheller, Dec 6, 2005.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Stephen. Hardsheller, I think you will find these next few posts more to the point.

From Close Communion; or, Baptism as a Prerequisite to the Lord's Supper, John T. Christian is quoting (probably Abraham) Booth:

I don't have Christian's book, just a note I made. If I am guessing the right Booth, this is probably a quote from Pedobaptism Examined (published in 1805) by Abraham Booth (1734-1806).

2. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1610, A Short Confession (being mainly a translation and reproduction of a 1580 Mennonite Confession of Faith, and being signed by John Smyth & others)
    http://www.reformedreader.org/ccc/scf1610.htm
    I did not find a direct quote from John Clarke or Obadiah Holmes, but in Baptist Piety (p. 105) Edwin Gaustad states that the communion of the Newport (RI) church was strict or closed.

1655, Midlands Confession
    http://www.the-faith.org.uk/midlands.html
    1660, Standard Confession
    1673 (I think), John Bunyan
    http://www.johnbunyan.org/text/bun-confession.htm
    1679, The Orthodox Creed (can be found in Brackney's Baptist Life and Thought, Lumpkin's Baptist Confessions of Faith, et al.)
    1729, John Gill; Goat Yard Declaration of Faith
    http://www.5solas.org/media.php?id=546
    1783, Kehukee Baptist Association (can be found in A Concise History of the Kehukee Baptist Association by Burkitt & Read)

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1801, Terms of Union of Elkhorn and South Kentucky associations (can be found in Lumpkin's Baptist Confessions of Faith, et al.)
    1816, Principles of faith of the Sandy Creek (NC) Association (can be found in Lumpkin's Baptist Confessions of Faith, et al.)
    1824, Hudson River Bapist Association (can be found in Brackney's Baptist Life and Thought and HRBA minutes)
    1858, John Leadley Dagg
    1861, Swedish Baptist Confession of Faith (can be found in Lumpkin's Baptist Confessions of Faith, et al.)
    1877, W. B. Boggs (from The Baptists, Who are they, and What do they believe? [Canada, 1878])
    A Case For Closed Communion - taken from Baptist Pamphlets, 1880

Communion at the Lord’s Table Confined to Churches
    Incidental Points Pertaining to Close Communion - from J.B. Jeter, Baptist Principles Reset (see also chapters 11 & 12)

In Terms of Communion at the Lord's Table (1846) and The Memorial Supper of our Lord (1907), R.B.C. Howell and J.M. Frost take the position that repentance, faith, baptism are prerequisites. I couldn't find these cited online, and don't have them myself.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    In his Appendix to the 1646 First London Confession, Benjamin Cox laid out the requirement for baptism to partake of the Lord's Supper:

(The 1646 Confession specifies that the mode of baptism should be "dipping or plunging the body under water.")

In 1654, Irish Baptist Robert Patient went so far as to say:

An interesting early discussion of this topic was conducted by William Kiffin and John Bunyan in a series of pamphlets.

Bunyan (whom some here will consider not to be a Baptist) believed in immersion but was not a stickler.

(All quotations from Differences in Judgment about Water Baptism, No Bar to Communion)

Kiffin, on the other hand, feared the effect of Bunyan's views on church membership. To open communion to the unbaptized, he said, would open to the door "Popish Purgatory, and Monkery and ten thousand other things;" for him, "No one were Inchurched without water baptism."

(Quoted from McBeth, The Baptist Heritage, p. 83)

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The First London Baptist Confession (1646), specifies that:

(Empahsis added)

The 1689 London Confession, however, is not so specific, saying only that:

(The 1762 Philadelphia Confession echoes the 1689 Confession.)

However, the New Hampshire Confession of 1833 makes clear the linkage between baptism and communion: