1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Priesthood of Believer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shortandy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we have done: We have taken the great, sanctified Baptist doctrine of the priesthood of the believer, and made it to cover every damnable heresy that mind could imagine! It’s a tragedy--it's a tragedy.

W. A. Criswell

2. CF1

CF1 New Member

Here is some scripture to figure out how to apply to this situation:

1 Timothy 3 (New American Standard Bible)

Overseers and Deacons

1 It is a trustworthy statement: if any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do.
    2 An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

3 not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money.

4 He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity

5 (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?),

6 and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil.

7 And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

8 Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain,

9 but holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience.

10 These men must also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons if they are beyond reproach.

11 Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things.

12 Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households.

Be realistic, having children vote might help them feel ownership in the church at some point, perhaps for simple decisions of the church family, but they don't have the maturity to handle decisions in the manner described above.

#22 CF1, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2010
  3. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen and Amen!

4. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

Please excuse my ignorance CF1 but I am struggling to see how the scripture you quoted has anything to do with converted kids voting when it speaks about qualifications for overseers and deacons...please explain further.

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe CF1 is appealing to the spirit of the law in the absence of the letter of the law concerning children and their rights in the local church.

Perhaps CF1 is alluding to the fact that there are very strict and narrow guidelines in Scripture concerning leaders, their maturity, stability, spirituality, etc... apart from the fact that everyone who is redeemed is a NT priest.

It would seem therefore that God (being a very consistent type of person) would require somewhat similar guidelines (howbeit perhaps not so confining) of "decision makers" who guide the church.

Even the world has enough sense to not allow children to drive a car, vote in elections, pilot a 747 airliner, etc.

How much more to allow them to guide the church which has an eternal consequence?

Personally, and IMO, children should not be allowed to vote no matter their "spirituality" and standing as NT priests just as the offices of leadership (deacon, pastor) have additonal requirements above and beyond the NT priesthood.

If it were left up to me, the right to vote on local church matters would require that:

One be a baptised believer, a member by choice/will in attendance and good standing at that local church for at least a year and over 18 years of age.

Even at that, these requirements leave plenty of room for mischief.

HankD

#25 HankD, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I believe the concept of the priesthood of the believer has everything to do with intercessory prayer on behalf of another. This even a child in faith can do.

It has nothing to do with voting.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I can't believe that adults in a church seriously took this position.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

In our church, you must be 18 to become a member. You can be baptized before then, but you cannot officially join as a member until you are 18. A few years ago, someone brought up allowing teens (I think 14 and over) the right to vote at business meetings. It did not pass at all; one point made was that if they could not be a member, they certainly could not vote. Only members can vote.

9. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

The membership thing seems wrong to me. I joined my church when I was 14 and have voted in business meetings since, as all members have the right to vote on church matters according to the bylaws.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If you're not tall enough to be seen... ;)

11. FR7 Baptist

I'm 6'3":smilewinkgrin: and my church uses voice votes.

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, that falsetto voice would be a dead giveaway at 14, anyways. :laugh:

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Children have no business voting. They lack the experience and maturity to be dealing with church business.

14. FR7 Baptist

Is that in your church's bylaws?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yep............this church had sense enough to realize this early on. Letting children vote is foolish. They do not have the mental capacity to understand the issues. not even at 14

16. FR7 Baptist

What is the age limit in your church?

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

18. FR7 Baptist

:tongue3: Well, I'm older now, so no problem there.

19. FR7 Baptist

That makes sense given that's the age at which people can vote in political elections. I remember the first time I voted, in the August 2008 primary election. I was so happy.

With that said, I don't support a minimum age for voting in church business meetings, because that would make me a hypocrite.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is that?