1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Printer Sharing

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by ralb, Sep 6, 2004.

1. ralb

ralb New Member

Can anyone help or direct me to an existing thread on this? I am trying to set up printer sharing.

I have two Dells running XP. Each one also has Norton Internet Security. They are connected to the internet via a Linksys router. I have run the Network Connection Wizard on both computers, at least 5 times on the non-host computer.

I finally got to the point where the host computer can "see" the non-host computer (it shows up in the workgroup) but it does not have access. The non-host computer can not "see" or access the workgroup or host.

I think I have eliminated everything in Norton Internet Security that may have been blocking my efforts. I asked for security alerts on other items that I didn't want to mess with to see if they might be the culprit. I have also gone through the troubleshooter many times.

Can anybody help?

2. g220

g220 New Member

ralb,

Have you shared the printer in control panel --> Printers and Faxes --> (rightclick on printer) Properties --> Sharing Tab? You may also need to share the drives you want to make available similiarly by rightclicking on the drive and changing the Sharing and Security... option.

You may have already tried these, but if not have a look [​IMG]

3. ralb

ralb New Member

Yup, I did.....thanks. Finally got the printer and folder sharing to work a couple of days ago. I had to use the numeric IP addresses of the computers because neither computer seems to recognize the other computer's "name". I'm not sure that everything about the network is working the way it is supposed to but as long as I got the sharing to work I'm not going to worry about it too much.