1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Problem Is Authoritarianism and Not Legalism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jan 26, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't let any church or person keep you from doing what God wants. Not all or any church will support your ministry.

2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't say I've been struggling for 25 year, maybe the last 5-7 but I get your point

Several years ago my son and I were talking about this certain church and he matter-of-fact told me that he "didn't get anything from that preacher". My response was, "We shouldn't go to church to get...we should go to church to give".

Approaching the Lord to give of yourself will automatically cause Him to give more abundantly to you. His leadership will prove you right. There are some people who need to be lead around by others and there are those who allow the Lord to lead us. Put Him first and forget about all the rest. Won't be long and He will open the doors to one of His Preachers.

3. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

What would he be able to give in an organization where every time the people are gathered, they must sit quietly & listen to one man lecture? Should he exercise his spiritual gift in the 10 minutes between SS & "church"? Seriously, when the church is assembled, how much time is devoted to the exercising of spiritual gifts be anyone other than the sole authority pastor?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jim Putnam mentions in one of his books that the self focused person cannot be discipled. The person cannot be discipled until he becomes others focused. When a person becomes a new believer everything they hear is new and the see what they are learning. As time goes by the person hears things they have already learned. So the differences are becoming less and less.

I subscribe to professional magazines because there is often at least one new thing I learn even though I was a student at one of the top schools in the world. The graduates of the same school subscribe to many of the same magazines too. When one is at the top he is not content to settle for what he knows already but is ever learning. Even though my pastor does not have near the education and language skills I have I learn something I had not thought about and encouraged to walk with God. Years ago I did some research throughout the year for a local pastor who wanted me to help him. We were like a team. Through our dialog and study both of us benefited.