1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Project BB:

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Apr 27, 2008.

1. skypair

skypair Active Member

OK...

Say you had a chance to teach "college and career" AND God was telling you that you have the time finally to accept such a ministry AND you have successfully navigated the career maze whilest keeping, no, growing in your Christian faith (retired).

1) Could you be "relevant?"

2) What, in your opinion, do these young adults need to know?

My feeling is that at their age they need a good grounding in Proverbs.

Anyway, this won't be a debate thread but one where I hope we all can address the spouses, parents, employees, paritioneers, leaders, etc. of our future and how can we connect them with their great futures?

skypair

2. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I'm afraid I need to know what "teaching college and career" means before I answer. Does it mean being a careers advisor, that is, a teacher or lecturer who gives advice to students about careers? (Probably not - that doesn't seem to make sense in the context :) ).

Does the thread title mean that you are setting the question as a sort of "project" for members of the Baptist Board to work on?

Sorry to be so ignorant.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

Sorry I seem so illusive. It means Sunday School and I was looking for ideas from y'all -- maybe a series or study or program -- maybe just things they need to know at that age to influence them for life.

skypair

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks Skypair! Now I understand. I'll give it some thought, but I am not sure how useful I can be on this, as the British idea of Sunday School is that it is for children.

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Yeah, we call it "small group fellowship" over here now. In a big church, it becomes the "fellowship within the fellowship" and sometimes leads to 1Cor 11:18-19. I know the early church operated on this smaller church model. I'm not sure if this is a good thing that we do as much as it alleviates the pastor of individual needs and supervision.

skypair

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My husband is working with this age group and has been recently been working through a book of the Bible with them (he's done 1 Samuel and Philippians most recently). I think this age group really needs help maturing because we've babied our teens so much that this age group just doesn't understand the idea of growing up. That and socializing together is really important.

7. sister christian

There is absolutely nothing wrong with actually teaching practical real life applications.

If kids don't learn these things in the church, from a christian perspective, where will they learn it?

Kids need to be taught what to expect in the real world. Kids, even Christian kids, are not automatically born with good work ethics, first of all. That is one thing that needs to be taught. The value of excellence of work needs to be taught. These kids don't even know the very basics because they are not taught.

So, if the book of Proverbs can be taught and used to teach basic work principles, then yes I think that would be good.

8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Ha! I love it.

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "What, in your opinion, do these young adults need to know?"

Everything you and I didn't know at that age! What else? :laugh:

Face it they need to know everything so dive in most anywhere. Proverbs might be a good place to cover all sorts of areas.

10. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

My Father teaches that age, and he calls it 'Christian Family Living.' He bases most of his topics out of Proverbs, but covers things like budgets, discipline, Bible study, you name it. He must have some curriculum or sequence of topics somewhere...

11. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg to differ. The first thing kids need to learn at church is God's Word - the Bible. Then they can learn how to apply what they learn in God's Word to every day situations.

You work from the inside out - not from the outside in.

Just my opinion.

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

See -- that's what I need! :godisgood:

Having been through the whole drill, is there some way I can communicate to them HOW to trust God? Can I make Solomon's advice -- or 1Pet 2:12-25 -- or 1Tim 6:1-11 -- as relevant to SUCCESSFUL Christian living as they were to me?

Yes, we have "babied" our teens! "Molly-coddled" David Lamb might even say! Most of them have never even applied for or worked a serious job before going to college (which means most have not seen the jobs they NEVER want to do again if they can finish college.). My nephew is my "case in point." Flunked out of college -- then saw what the jobs were -- THEN decided he might just like college after all! He's repeating his first semester on his TX scholarhip his dad paid for and thought he had "wasted."

I think I could do it. How's hubby doing?

skypair

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

Thanks, sister. Recently we had a men's video series "Winning at Work & Home" by Robert Lewis. Only thing was, all the "old farxs" (sp?) sat together and the "young bucks" were at other tables. This is not helpful to the younger men who had no experience. Yet you would think that would be the purpose of such fellowship, right?

skypair

14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Rubato, that might be helpful. :type: I hadn't thought about the budget aspect but I was just 2 phases short of passing the CPA exam in 1992! And that is definitely good advice. If you get an outline, PM me, please.

skypair

15. skypair

skypair Active Member

That's the issue, isn't it, SBC. Whether they will learn the Bible if is doesn't apply -- if they can't relate it -- to LIFE.

skypair

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

My thoughts are...

Identify WHY I should be able to teach them anything, right? And I'm not a preacher who they kinda already think "stands above" all the frey of living in the world. (Can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into this job?) God, since age 16, has lead me through what I consider a spiritual and earthly success (per Prov 3:16, 22:4 BTW). Some people have the one -- some the other -- few both.

Then comes the "how." Well, MIRACULOUS is all I can say. Every one of those things Solomon mentioned was tested -- health, honor, riches. It was as if I were trying to tell the story of David today, IMO. But the glory is all to God cause I'm not that smart, sophisticated, or endowed physically (the first two of which many here can and will attest! :laugh:).

Well, gotta go. Love you guys. Keep up the good work!

skypair