1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Promoting Harry Potter

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rufus_1611, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I do like trees and would be interested in advance wood working, yes.

I could think less about me if you would get a hobby and stop concentrating so hard on me.

And once again for you benefit, I wasn't correcting, just trying to dodge the thought police (i.e., you) about a mispelling, while still answering a post in a manner I felt necessary. See, you are as bad at trying to correct people's thoughts and developing a personal agenda against someone, as I am about spell check.

you really should stop hijacking threads with your infatuation with me, it is pathetic.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

grow up....and leave the ego at the door.

3. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

wowser, what a zinger. you about got me with that mud.

I guess the most hypocritical thing (and most humorous to boot) I have seen on the BB has been YOUR personal attacks on me regarding my stance against someone else.

now, how about getting back to the topic and not wasting my time?

If you can curve your infatuation for just a day... Your best bet is to pray about it and seek some counsel. Best to ya!

Does anyone remember the Potter book burnings that took place when the books first came out?

#183 Bro. Williams, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2007
  4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

CURVE your infatuation? Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!! CURVE??!!?

This coming from one who claims to be a teacher? The word is CURB, meaning to restrain. You are not really a teacher...admit it...you write speeches for President Bush, don't you?

#184 Magnetic Poles, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2007
  5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not to mention he didn't capitalize the "w" and "y" in his first line. :laugh:

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

[​IMG]

Enough already!

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

**Moderator warning**

The thread will be steered back toward the original subject "Promoting Harry Potter" and posters will conduct themselves in a manner worthy of the Lord Jesus Christ or else the threadl be subject likewise to be closed

Bro. David

8. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

That last part was actually funny.

Curb - curve, my bad. I do the same with "their - there" when in a hurry. Thanks for the correction.

Back to Potter,

I remember a big stink at the public school here over having the books in the library at school. Big special meeting over and what not. It has been a continuing issue now for a time.

9. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

uh Um sorry I didnt get right back to you
    I don't post much on these forums
    Wow you have only been here since Jan 2007 ans already have almost 400 posts
    and I have been a member here since 2004 and have not contributed to the forum nearly as much as you have.
    I guess the mission field takes up way too much of my time to post here like I should:wavey:

10. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

riiiiight.

harry potter. harry potter. harry potter. can we no longer focus?

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

My daughter read the last book in the series today (she started it yesterday). She said it's pretty good. She says it turns out Snape was actually a good guy. That's interesting because I thought the idea was to portray Snape in such a way that you never find out if he's good or bad.

Yes, she's a fast reader. She broke a 25 year school record for vocabulary in 1st grade. Here I am a writer/editor and I can't read nearly as fast as she can.

12. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Npetreley: thank you...

and now no one even has to read the book... they get to know the answer and save whatever the book costs. thats a deal.

here is a stupid question. is harry potter a witch or a warlock? (its 1am, much more can't be expected...)

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I don't read Harry Potter books, but I was under the impression that a 'witch' was female and a 'warlock' was male...

14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Neither, Potter is a wizard I believe. Warlocks are associated with Dark Magic if they are referred to in the books at all. That is a specific question I can't remember the answer too. Hmmm, and I read the last book just this week. I think I'm right though.

15. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

In the series, magic is a talent/gift that certian people have (much like the powers the folks have in fantastic four or xmen or even the "force" in star wars). Magic itself is not good or evil - although folks who wield it can be good or evil. The "Dark Arts" do not come from a sinister side of magic, they are magic that can hurt or kill a person.

There are only a couple of actual evil people in the series - Voldemort being the main one - he is more of a hitler character than satanic - as neither God nor Satan are mentioned in the series, nor is the occult/seances etc.

as NPet has given up that Snape turns out to be a good guy (but very confilcted)- harry willingly lays down his life for his friends. Seems that when his mother sacrificed her life for his, part of voldemorts soul winds up in Harry, so the only way for voldemort to die is for harry to die. Harry does not put up a fight and when voldemort sends a killling spell at harry it evidently only kills the voldemort part of him.

INterestingly enough, there are some pretty good Christian allegories in this book, in fact perhaps more than are in Lord of the Rings and enogh that if a child reads the book a parent can talk about the differneces in this fable and the actual life of Christ