1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proper use of cross

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like your thoughts on this. Many people are pet lovers and go to great extremes to care for them.

When a pet dies it can be a very sorrowful time. Many people even have full funerals for their pets.

My question is do you feel it is proper to put a cross on the grave of a pet?

I for one feel it is a blasphemy and mockery of the work of the Lord. What do you think?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it's necessarily mockery; it may be a misunderstanding or simply a borrowing for aesthetic purposes. Lots of people wear crosses as jewelry who have no understanding of its symbolism, except in a cultural sense.

On the other hand, it may symbolize the deep faith of the pet owner. Doesn't Paul teach that Christ's redemptive work extends not only to humans but also to all of creation?

"For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now." (Romans 8:19-22)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see a problem- if it gives conform to the pet owner - so be it.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cross on the grave of a pet speaks of the owner of the pet.

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Down in Alabama I once saw a sign with an arrow pointing to the location, "Coon Dog Cemetery." :rolleyes: Don't know if they had crosses on the graves. Don't think it's blasphemous, but I do think it's kind of dumb. You might love it, but it's just an animal. Blasphemy is a form of insult, and I don't see that a cross on a pet's grave is insulting God.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mother has to make a decision today about whether or not to provide extraordinary care for her dog. I don't think it is going to make much difference either way as far as the dog's lengthening his life, but my mother has to be the one to make the decision. I have advised her to let the dog go if they cannot offer significant hope that the dog will bounce back from his severe decline.

When this dog passes, it will be a major grief for my mother. The dog has been her faithful companion since my father's death. She will face an empty home.

Back when I was doing nearly a funeral a week for mostly unchurched families, I would often explain to the grieving that the funeral should not be an expression of how much you love the one who has died (who could afford such a thing?), but an opportunity to take stock of that person's life and your own life as a pathway to healing and transformation. The ceremony is a means of letting go and moving on. It was also an opportunity for me to share the gospel in an extremely natural way.

I have no problems with a simple funeral for a beloved pet, as long as sound theology is presented and the expense kept to a minimum. When my mother-in-law's beloved dog died about a decade ago, I helped dig the grave and led a short impromptu meditation on God's gift of animals to humankind, and our stewardship of them. With pets, there is a foretaste of the unfallen future world where humankind will have our full abilities to steward the animals (the birds of the air, the creatures in the sea, and all that walk upon the earth), where there will be no more destruction and death.

In light of our future hope in Christ and the redemption of creation that is promised, I see nothing wrong with it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rsr's post
    I don't think it's necessarily mockery; it may be a misunderstanding or simply a borrowing for aesthetic purposes. Lots of people wear crosses as jewelry who have no understanding of its symbolism, except in a cultural sense.

On the other hand, it may symbolize the deep faith of the pet owner. Doesn't Paul teach that Christ's redemptive work extends not only to humans but also to all of creation?

"For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now." (Romans 8:19-22)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

An interesting subject relative to the creation re R8:19-23 and the redemption.

I am not sure of what is said.......

Moreover, I saw under the sun that in the place of justice, even there was wickedness, and in the place of righteousness, even there was wickedness. I said in my heart, God will judge the righteous and the wicked, for there is a time for every matter and for every work. I said in my heart with regard to the children of man that God is testing them that they may see that they themselves are but beasts. For what happens to the children of man and what happens to the beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts, for all is vanity.[fn] All go to one place. All are from the dust, and to dust all return. Who knows whether the spirit of man goes upward and the spirit of the beast goes down into the earth? So I saw that there is nothing better than that a man should rejoice in his work, for that is his lot. Who can bring him to see what will be after him? Ecc 3:26-22

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again[fn] he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
    Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.
    That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.[fn]
    Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You[fn] must be born again.’
    John 3:3,5-7

But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” Mark 10:14,15

? Waiting for the manifestation of the sons of God ?

What does the redemption of the body have to do, with it all?

Just stuff to think about or not think about.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not go the graveless route like Roy Rogers did with Trigger (taxidermy).

They now can freeze dry them too: