1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pros and Cons of Mission Boards

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by bapmom, Nov 6, 2005.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Lately Ive been posting in the Fundamentalist area and forgetting that Im not in the MIssions area!

But Id like to ask this question here.

This is what I posted over on the other thread....

".........We are still looking for a good mission board. I quite often wish we could just go without one. The more I hear the more I think they may be alot more trouble than they are worth.

Perhaps thats an idea for another thread?
    Pros and Cons of Mission Boards....

Actually Id like to see thoughts on it.

We are thinking of going with a mission board that is run by a local church.

Ive also heard of one or two mission boards that are not supported by missionaries at all. Instead they are run by volunteers and any support that does come in for them is in the form of money given to the board for the express purpose of running the board. They are run as if they themselves are missionaries as well...so they get their own support that way."

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've only spoken with one couple that went out by themselves, and that was 20 years ago or so. They were glad they had done it, but they were poorly supported due to their lack of a board. They were in South America somewhere so didn't have as many headaches with government back then and in their country.

I like the idea of several churches banding together, but it is easy for personalities and personal preferrences to get involved, though they don't need too.

There are some good mission boards around, one of which I have personal knowledge. This one tries to be accountable to the supporting churches and involve the local churches. They offer support and training to the church as well. Not sure how the local churches feel about their success at this however. They are independent and fundamental.

http://www.biblicalministries.org/

As to individuals doing it, is that any different than a board? Less accountability for what they do and that might be a problem.

Knew a man years ago that ran a dairy farm that supported a number of missionaries on the field. All of them set it up that way. So, there are other alternatives to boards if you really don't want to go with one.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

This must be a matter od personal choice. I am very grateful for our mission board. They are a service to us, not an authority over us. It has its problems, and things that I disagree with, but to me the pros far outweigh the cons. We do have to pay an administation fee, but I feel that it is a reasonable cost. My sending church is still my ulitimate human authority. We have no field councils to exercise authority.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are in total agreement here, C4K. Our administration fee is probably the lowest around. And the board actively DOES NOT try to tell us God's will. Boards with field councils are to be avoided. Field councils WILL enforce their view of God's will on you. I had a big run in with the field council of another board (long story). While I was good friends with some of the men and respected them as missionaries, put them together in a field council and the result was disastrous.

The home church is the sending authority whether or not you go through (not from) a board or your home church handles your finances. The board should simply be a simply a service organization to help you with things your home church cannot do or cannot do well. (I'll deal with that in a separate post.)

Story time, kiddies! I went to a missionary Baptist church missions conference with one of the Corley twins, who have worked together with the Navahos for almost ever and are wonderful missionaries. The rascal made me take my own car, and then left me there before lunch--must have known what was coming.

Anyway, the church didn't believe in boards, so over lunch I had a little debate with with one of their missionaries about the merits of boards. He put out a salt shaker and said, "I'm out of my local church." Then he put out a pepper shaker and said, "You are out of a board." I said, "Don't take me out of my church. They are sending me and supporting me. I'm still a member there." I rearranged the pepper shaker and said, "I'm out FROM my local church, THROUGH my mission board." He said, "Well, everything should go through the local church." "Everything?" I asked? "Yes, everything." In my shy and timid way I then said, "What kind of Bible is that?" "A Cambridge." "Is that a local church?" End of conversation, debate over! :D

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I like what you said there! Thank you.

I guess it takes alot of research before deciding on a missions board, too.

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I totally agree, which is good since we are with the same mission agency. ;)

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Bapmom,

You might look into GIBF missions- www.gibmissions.com. From what I read on your posts and looking at your church's web site it might be a good fit for you.

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Oh, yeah, as to the field council thing... listen to Bro. John! He is giving wise advice!

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you need to do is make sure you are in God's will in this matter. That is the most important advice any of us can give you. Having said that, if you choose a board with problems, yes it can be more trouble than it is worth. However, a good board can save you a lot of work and trouble, so that you can do God's work more effectively. Personally, I never regretted for one minute going with our mission board.

Here are some things that a board can do, but a local church sending agency either cannot do at all or cannot do well.
    (1) Provide you with many contacts for deputation. Our board will send us a list of churches supporting our missionaries in a given state.
    (2) Handle political matters. Some governments do not recognize local churches in government matters.
    (3) Help you get your visa by virtue of already having people in the country to be your guarantor. If you were to come to Japan as an independent, there is a good chance no one in established boards would be your guarantor. I can tell you some real horror stories about independents.
    (4) That brings me to say that a board usually affords better accountability. It is sometimes hard for a pastor to keep proper track of a missionary. This is one reason many churches will not support local church-sent missionaries.
    (5) Help in cases of terrorism or disaster on the field. Our board employs an international security agency which can extract us in case of emergency.

There are other things, but hopefully this will get you thinking. [​IMG]

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You, too, 4HisGlory? [​IMG]

And by the way, to the best of my knowledge ours is the fastest growing IFB board out there.

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You, too, 4HisGlory? [​IMG]

And by the way, to the best of my knowledge ours is the fastest growing IFB board out there.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Guess that makes me the odd man out [​IMG] . Although I do have many friends with your board and we cooperate in evangelism with one of your missionaries here in Mexico.

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Mexdeaf,

I looked at that website, and it does look like one we'd like. We'll have to look into it more. We already know their Secretary, he pastors church that was sort of "sister church" with the church my hubby grew up in.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Who do you know in Mexico Mexdeaf?

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I guess I don't after all. For some reason I was thinking that C4K was with BIMI, don't know why. We cooperate with another BIMI missionary in deaf evangelism. I don't know any BWM missionaries here. I'm in Tampico on the east coast.

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I went to college with at least a couple of your missionaries from BWM. Kim Rynesburger was my roommate for 3 years!

Mike Lyons was my choir director in high school.

17. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

I am an independent church sent missionary. I have been in missions since 1991. I have never had a need arise that God has not taken care of through my church or one of my other supporting churches. That is to the glory of God.

As polite as I can be, I must take umbridge with those that have said there are things a local church can't do or cannot do well. Through Christ I can do all things. With God all things are possible. If God has called you to go to the mission field sent through your local church, there is no situation that will overtake you. He will provide everything and everyone you will need.

Having said that, please read this paragraph before you make personal judgments about me (JohnV). I do not think mission boards are wrong, bad, or of the devil. They serve a purpose. They came into existence because the local church has dropped the ball over the years concerning the Great Commission. If there had been no mission boards or missions societies over the past 200 or so years America would not be the great country that she is today. God has blessed America because of her zeal for the Word of God.

Think about this. Maybe someone can confirm this with solid factual evidence. I was told that America is no longer the leading country when it comes to sending missionaries to the field! If that is true America is in trouble.

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

MikeinGhana,

I can't give you factual evidence, but it would not surprise me to find out that is very close to the truth.

Amongst our group, we are seeing many sent out of the Philippines. As a matter of fact, we just welcomed our first Filipino missionary to Mexico to the country last week. Here in Mexico we have sent some 10 missionary families to places such as Argentina, Brasil, and other SA countries. These folks are all supported by our Mexican churches.

Concerning local church sent missionaries, God bless them!

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I think the statistic is that there are more missionaries retiring and/or coming off the field than there are missionaries going TO the field.

The stat I heard was that if the trend continues then soon we will no longer be the leading country.

But more and more I do hear of our missionaries sending out their own people from their churches on the field, to other countries.

More and more we see "missionary's churches" who support a number of their own missionaries.

So I don't think that the statistic is totally negative. But I know what you are saying. We are getting complacent about missions here in the USA.

20. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The trouble with that statistic though bapmom is that it is very broad in its inclusivness. If we were take every kind of IFB church and missionary and call it a "denomination" it would indeed be growing in its missionary personal.

I always wondered is so many missionaries are retiring, then why on earth is there no money to support their replacements?