1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Protests against Wall Street spread across US

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Oct 4, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yea right! The government is guilty for wall streets greed. The government made them take the money and then give themselves huge bonuses?
    :laugh:

#21 freeatlast, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

How bout I come tell you how you have to decorate your house? Saying greed is wrong is one thing. Saying regulation needs to be enacted to tell people what to do with their stuff, is another.

The government is the problem. Wall Street is only a problem, because the government is MAKING it a problem.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Unions give Wall Street protesters some oomph
    http://news.yahoo.com/unions-wall-street-protesters-oomph-160657181.html

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

apples and oranges. :laugh:

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Let me ask you folks here, have any of you ever had a poor person give you a job?

I am not a big fan of Wall Street, but capitalism is good for everybody. The rich man needs folks like us to make his product, and he needs folks like us to buy his product. Doesn't bother me at all if he gets rich giving thousands of folks good jobs.

Europe and Asia are smarter than us, they allow business to make money. They have lower taxes, they don't have all the regulations we place on business. It is no wonder businesses are fleeing the country going overseas. Reduce taxes and regulations and business will stay, they want to employ Americans if it was profitable to do so.

Even super-liberal 60 Minutes had a show a few weeks ago showing how other countries are attracting business and jobs. Ireland has a corporate tax rate of of 13%. Hundreds of companies have moved their corporate headquarters there. You don't have to be a genius to figure this out.

I haven't seen much on all these protests, but from the little I've seen they look like a bunch of wannabees. This is who they want to be.

[​IMG]

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I don't think anyone here is against someone being rich. The problem is not the making of money in an honest manner. The problem is making it off the backs of people in an unjust manner such as taking tax dollars intended to grow the economy and using them to fatten the pockets of the already rich.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's only taken 100 years for the Bolsheviks to conquer America, and that without firing a shot.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

Then you need to meet some more folks on this board.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, the old Party line. . .

10. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If by that comment you mean to include me, then you are incorrect;I have nothing against rich people per se. I DO have something against enrichment at the expense of others through exploitation of those weaker than themselves. I seem to recall large tranches of the OT explaining that God doesn't like that much either. I'm really not sure how a Christian can -rightly - demand that the government does something about the obscene Holocaust that is abortion whilst is the same breath demanding that the government does nothing about the above kind of economic injustice; it seems to me that in both cases the Christian is duty-bound to call upon the government to uphold and enforce God's standards.

11. mandym

mandym New Member

On this side of the pond we live in a country that was founded on the principle of limited government. Protecting life is one thing and a given role of our government as indicated in our constitution. Economic injustice is relative and most often not real. The left would want wealth redistribution regardless of circumstances. Most of the time these "injustices" are not real but instead a political agenda to create a false crisis to gain ground in a political movement.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

OK, now please answer as a Christian rather than as an American.

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Then why bother calling on the government to do something about abortion? Why be bothered about Teh Gayz? There's something horribly inconsistent going on here....

14. mandym

mandym New Member

Nothing inconsistent at all. It is false that if you support the government being involved in one thing then you must support them being involved in everything or nothing. Not sure where that mentality comes from. Conservatives would not want government involved in the homosexual issue except they are using government to indoctrinate children.

Government is the resolution to protect life. But it is not the resolution for anything that bothers us. The more government gets involved the less freedom we have. I know this is a foreign and difficult thing to understand on your side of the pond.

15. Matt Black

Site Supporter

You're conflating disagreement with inability to understand. I fully understand the principle of limited government, I'm just not sure how a Christian can support it in the light of the OT.

16. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

How many of those same protesters drive Priuses, have iphones and ipods, eat at McDon's, shop at Walmart, etc.?

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard saith unto his steward, Call the labourers, and give them their hire, beginning from the last unto the first. And when they came that were hired about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny. But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny. And when they had received it, they murmured against the goodman of the house, saying, These last have wrought but one hour, and thou hast made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day. But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny? Take that thine is, and go thy way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee. Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? [Matt], Is thine eye evil, because I am good?

18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

You don't really want to enter into a proof-texting battle, do you?

19. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are having a march in Portland OR today. The city requires a permit. The organizer says they will not, based on legal advice, give the city their plans or where they are going, nor will they get the required permit.

It is a protest against the establishment and it is meant to disrupt the public.