1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Proverbs = Promises?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ccrobinson, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

The Proverbs 22:6 thread is at 30 pages and will probably be shutdown soon. I think the topic is good enough to keep discussing, so I'm starting this thread.

There are those who contend that the words "will not" in Proverbs 22:6 make that verse a promise. They then make it into an all-or-nothing proposition, that either Proverbs 22:6 is a promise, or God is a liar. It's not a stretch to say that the idea of God lying to us is anathema to every single person on this board, and I think it's important to get to the bottom of this.

Which of the following is true?

a) Proverbs 22:6 is a promise, therefore, every single proverb must be a promise.

b) Proverbs 22:6 isn't a promise, and all other proverbs aren't promises either.

Since the framers of the Proverbs = Promises debate seem to make this all-or-nothing, I don't think we can have a middle ground here. Either every proverb is a promise, or none of them are. If a middle ground is possible, please explain what that middle ground might be.

I do have a couple of questions in regards to a).

If a) is true, why is the book called Proverbs and not Promises? God is not the God of Confusion, right? But, if we have a book of promises, why are they called Proverbs?

If a) is true, are there any examples that seem to contradict the idea of even just one proverb not being a promise? Again, this is all or nothing, so if we have even example where a certain proverb obviously isn't a promise, then b) becomes true and the debate is over.

2. standingfirminChrist

You forgot c) Proverbs 22:6 is a promise as are many of the proverbs, but not all are promises.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I'm fine with adding a 3rd option.

4. readmore

readmore New Member

Actually, I believe the question can be posed even more generally. Maybe this is the point on which we will have to agree to disagree.

Do you believe literary genre should be a consideration when interpreting Scripture?