1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Psychology, Education, or Deaf Rehabilitation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Mexdeaf, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I recently underwent a major lifestyle change that will permit me to pursue the master's degree that I have long coveted. Due to my ministry and hearing disablilty, I can attend any state college scot-free, books and tuition included. I am excited about the possibility and potential of multiplying my ministry opportunities.

However, I am struggling with which area of study to major in. I am considering (and of course praying about) getting a degree in one of the following areas- Psychology, Education, or Deaf Rehabilitation.

Psychology has been an interest of mine for years- as a matter of fact it was my minor for my BA. Education seems intriguing because teaching is one of my God-given gifts. Deaf Rehab, because I pastor the deaf.

I thought I would ask a multitude of Godly counselors what they think. I would appreciate your input.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think this is all between you and the Lord. I'd say show up at the school and let him guide your path. He might have a direction you yet to know.

What do you mean by pastor the deaf? Is your eitire congregation deaf as in no need for a PA or do you have a few deaf people in your group? Do you sign as you preach/teach or do you have someone do it for you?

My daughter has two friends that are deaf so they text back and forth on their phones (she doesn't know sign). I noticed they don't use slang nor do they ever phonetically spell words like cuz for because. I imagine its for the obvious but it makes me wonder more about how to approach them with the question. Will I be ok to send them a text (while in my presence) asking if they know Jesus? Anything I should know before I know so (any surprises I may encounter)?

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I am pastor of a deaf church. We have some hearing members. I am hard-of-hearing myself, so I can speak as well as sign.

This might sound like a 'gimme', but every deaf person is different. From what you say about the way your daughter's friends text-message, I would guess that they are well-educated. If you have a relationship with them, i.e. they know who you are, you might just start by asking them some simple questions about themselves. I would approach them in a non-threatening manner, meaning that I would ask them questions such as, "Do you go to church?".

Many deaf are mad at God because of their deafness. They have never read Exodus 4:11. God created the deaf for His glory!

I have to run, but will be happy to answer any more QQ you might have.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I usually try to see where all her friends stand on the subject of eternal security. I started to bring it up this past Saturday but something told me not to. I see why after reading the part of your post I bolded and am glad the Lord sent you my way first. I will definately take my time with these guys. They seem like good kids.

They are identical twins by the way. One can make noises almost like he is trying to speak but just can't enunciate. He was supposed to received a set of high powered hearing aids today but I haven't seen him to see how that's going. Maybe you will understand this statement. They should allow him to hear sound. Not like I hear but he should be able to hear sounds... His brother is mute.