1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

public schools

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandym

mandym New Member

Your lack of imagination is in no way evidence of facts.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since all public schools are different depending on their county and district (etc) I think this is a decision that must be made on a case-by-case basis. The elementary school across the street from my church is first rate. If I had children, that is where I would want them to go. The principle is a dedicated Christian as is much of the staff. There is no "once-size-fits-all" approach here that is reasonable. Each school, public or private, must be judged individually.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OIC, your evidence of the facts could be compared to the reasoning that if one wanted to be a fighter he could read about it in a book and then simply just use his "imagination" once he stepped into the real ring. :laugh: Ah, I think you insist on following that philosophy and you'd be lacking your whole head.

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Uh no, your poor assumption that home schoolers do not have enough peer interaction to equal public schoolers. It is a fallacy

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they are interacting with the same "types" they will be witnessing to...then what would be the point of homeschooling them away from the same??? Can't have it both ways friend.

6. mandym

mandym New Member

Where did you ever get the idea that homeschooling was about keeping them away from other kids?

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give me a break! It has been all over this tread that people do not want to subject their children to the environment of the public school's children and their ways.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

Home school is about getting a real education unlike what can be obtained in most public schools. It is about educating children with biblical principles for many home school children. It is about escaping left wing indoctrination like Columbus committed genocide and raped native Americans by way of example. You should talk to home school parents before you talk about them.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My girls were both home schooled and then entered 9th grade at the public school. When it was time for "Back to School Night", I met each of the teachers and always let the teachers know that my 9th grader has been home schooled and so to expect a little bit of a learning curve to get used to a different way of learning (more lecture than self-taught). I consistently got the same answer from teachers - "I should have known because they are very different than the other students. They are much more mature and respectful and they are learning very well." The maturity was always mentioned about the girls and I have seen that consistently in my kids. As I said, my 16 year old was recruited to work for a professional - and she was just a cashier in the grocery store - because of her maturity and professional attitude even just as a cashier. The socialization my children receive is VASTLY better than what happens in school. I couldn't even compare the two.

Other than that, :)MY daughter’s leadership role was only one small part of the academics advantages she received from public school and I would be willing to bet MY daughter is smarter than YOUR daughter and we can compare other accomplishments any time you wish! :laugh: ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, I KNOW my daughters are WAY better. Smart doesn't even begin to define them. :D

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, my daughter was able to go into 9th grade Earth Science and have an intelligent argument with the teacher - with respect. This teacher had taught on the college level so was certainly not stupid and she admitted to me that my daughter's arguments stumped her and she had to do additional study on the subjects. My oldest daughter was so comfortable speaking of her faith that she was actually physically assaulted in the school and yet she continued to speak to that young man who assaulted her and teach him about the Lord. Both girls were "sheltered" yet were very comfortable defending their faith as 14 year olds and never once have they wavered even now in college. So you could have had the same experience with your daughter had she been home schooled.

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, no. Some of us don't want to hand our children over for 40 hours a week to be reared by ungodly people with an ungodly agenda to indoctrinate our children contrary to what we are teaching them at home. We'd like our kids to actually learn the 3 R's without getting all the extra disruptions and time wasted at school. We'd like our kids to learn based on their individual learning style instead of the "one size fits all" that you find in public schools. Big difference from that and not having ANY contact with anyone else.

You're basing your argument on the assumption that we homeschoolers rear our kids under rocks somewhere, with no contact with anyone outside some sheltered little bubble. You're using a VERY broad brush to stereotype us, and it's just not so.

And seriously, this "my kid was raised better than your kid" attitude shouldn't be found ANYWHERE between Christian brothers and sisters. The bottom line is, you raise your kids the way you believe God wants you to, and I do likewise. Our methods may differ, but we're all hoping and praying for the same outcome, right? Don't we all want our kids to grow up to be godly, responsible adults? So, there shouldn't be any judgmental attitudes on either side of this debate.

12. milby

milby Member

Dear Mr. Benjamin,

After reading all your attacks on homeschooling, I think I have finally figured it out. You chose to put your kids in Public school. You don't Homeschool. Therefore homeschooling does not effect you. Except for one thing, your conscience. In your heart you know that you should have or should be homeschooling but it is much easier to just put them on the bus.

Why else would you be so adament about attacking homeschoolers? You see it is just like Bill Mahr (the funny man on tv that is a devout athiest), deep down he knows there is a God or else he would not feel the need to attack Him. If he truly believed there was no God he would not give it a second thought. Doesn't effect him.

Why else would you be debating a bunch of Homeschoolers other than you know you should be one of us.

13. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are so off the wall on this! I wish people would read more carefully and stop the personal accusations accompanied with outrageous sarcasm.

I simply based my argument on ONE! specific situation of where a child would have an edge and have spelled THIS out to at three people like yourself that have failed to keep the context and tried to raise this strawman in defense. Go back and read the tread. It has to do with experience in witnessing and defending the faith to people out in the world. NOWHERE have I started attacking homeschoolers children with my suggestion as stated. There is just a bunch of childish rhetoric coming back from highly offensive people who automatically attack others rather than address the issue at hand because they can't stand any criticism... AT ALL!

Any "my kid is better than yours" stuff that was brought up and used out of context, and I have also already addressed that! The rest was only in good natured fun and was obvious to anyone with a 3rd grade comprehesive level that it wasn't serious. As far as I'm concerned your rebuke amounts to ignorance and/or false accusations.

14. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ought to report you for questioning my salvation, but I don't play that game!

The statement that I have attacked homeschoolers is an outright lie! Read the post above!

Go get the knot out of your panties!

15. milby

milby Member

Read it again. I did not question your salvation. Read it again.

And to use your line.... my last post "was only in good natured fun and was obvious to anyone with a 3rd grade comprehesive level that it wasn't serious"

And by the way I am a man and don't wear panties :)

16. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, rrright.

They probably have pink polka dots on them regardless.

17. milby

milby Member

Did you read it again. Do you understand now how I was comparing your motives to Bill Mahr, not your salvation.

And if I wore panties I think pink polka dots would be cute.

18. milby

milby Member

Seriously I suddenly feel convicted about how I am talking to you. It is not very "Christian" I'm sorry.

You public school, I homeschool, I will leave it at that. You can have the last word if you want.

19. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's forgiven and forgotten.

20. milby

milby Member

decided to delete this post

#100 milby, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
Thread Status: