1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purgatory

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by herbert, May 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herbert

herbert Member
    Site Supporter

The Catholic Church teaches that people who die end up in one of two places: Heaven or Hell.

Those who end up in Heaven do so 100% by grace through Christ.

On the way, though, souls bound for Heaven may experience a “final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.”

What exactly is so Scripturally, logically, or rationally controversial about this doctrine?

Herbert

#1 herbert, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What is wrong with it? It is heresy. It is not found in the Bible, but in pagan teachings.
    What does the Bible teach?

2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
    2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
    3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
    --It teaches first of all that we are spirit beings clothed with a temporary body. We are like the angels, but the angels have no bodies. We have a temporary body. It is corrupt. Paul calls it a tabernacle, like a tent. A tent is temporary. It doesn't last forever. That is a good thing. I live in a place where the temperature gets down to minus 45 in the winter with an windchill value of minus 70 (and that is Celsius!). That is minus 94 Fahrenheit. A tent wouldn't do me much good.

But Paul says we earnest groan to be clothed upon with our house from heaven, if so be that being clothed we shall not be found heaven. When the rapture occurs this body will be changed. It will become immortal, incorruptible, a heavenly body.
    1 Corinthians 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
    52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
    53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
    So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

This temporal body will no longer exist. It will become a redeemed body.
    Paul said:
    Romans 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.
    We wait for the redemption of our body. It is not redeemed now, but someday it will.

Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
    Philippians 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

To live is Christ; to die is gain. There is no other way to understand this verse. If Paul lives on this earth he would live for Christ and help out churches such as the Philippians.
    If he would die it would be gain; gain because immediately he would be with Christ.

The same truth is expressed here:
    2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
    One is either on earth in his body or he is present with the Lord. There are no other choices. There is no such thing as Purgatory. It is a man-made philosophy--something brought in from the paganism of Greek mythology.
    http://www.mtc.org/purgtory.html

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.