1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Qualities of God

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Feb 22, 2008.

?
  1. God only has male qualities.

6.3%
  2. God only has female qualities.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. God has female and male qualities.

6.3%
  4. We shouldn't describe God as having male and female qualities. He is the origin.

81.3%
  5. We understand male and female qualities because we know who God is.

25.0%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What do you think?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question!

I don't think it is proper to act as if God is male/female because He is the originator. The proper pronoun for God is masculine. He likens himself to a mother chick who wanted to gather Israel to himself. But to see God as either/or seems imho to be putting him into boxes He hasn't put himself into.
    looking forward to the opinions for this one!:tonofbricks:

3. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I agree with Tom.:thumbs: Even if he is on the "Left Coast"

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    or as some radio guy used to say, "the west coast of the east coast":laugh:

5. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I agree with Tom also.

Malachi 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

How did the prophet Isaiah see God in the temple? (Isaiah 6:1-5)

Isaiah 6:1 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
    Isaiah 6:2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
    Isaiah 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
    Isaiah 6:4 And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
    Isaiah 6:5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

6. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

In my understanding, God has qualities that we might assign to males and others that we might assign to females, but in the Bible we refer to him with masculine terms, which are appopriate as long as we don't pust the references too far (like actually stating that God IS male).

7. standingfirminChrist

If God was neither male nor female, Jesus would have referred to Him as 'It' and not 'He' 'Him' or 'His'.

The fact that He called God "Father" shows God is male.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. God is spirit. Masculinity is determined by physical anatomy, which the Father does not have.

9. standingfirminChrist

God is a Father, not an it.

10. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

God said "I AM", no one knows with certainty that which God is, and even more important...who cares...He IS!

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, God is Person(s), not an it. But God is more than Father.

God is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit... three Persons in one complete loving union.

12. standingfirminChrist

And all three are referred to in the masculine, are they not?

Deuteronomy 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him.

John 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Father and Son are certainly masculine descriptors, but the word for spirit (pneumena) is gender neutral. While English Bible translations usually assign the masculine gender to the Holy Spirit (for valid reasons, IMO), God is demonstrated as having both masculine and feminine attributes.

I think it is a mistake to place too much emphasis on God being either male or female since both men and women are created in the image of God. Therefore, both male and female attributes are found within the Triune God.

14. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ruach (Spirit) is also a feminine noun in Hebrew.

Since the Bible refers to God as "Father," it is appropriate to use the term and also to refer to him with the masculine pronoun.

However, this does not imply that God is a man or male. He is not female, either. He is Spirit. The term "Father" is not used in a sense to indicate gender but to indicate God's loving authority.

15. AAA

AAA New Member

GOD is GOD all of HIS Qualities are good and pure..