1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about Sovereignty and Free Will

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, Dec 29, 2008.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I view them mostly speaking about Gods chosen people Israel. Then there was Jesus saying "I chose you" to His disciples. He did choose them you know?

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see the issue much as a farmer would have control of his cattle. It is the farmer's choice of what pasture to put his cattle in, but it is the choice of the cattle where to eat in the pasture.

In a sense God is the farmer and we are the cattle.

3. puros_bran

puros_bran Member

Faith:
    Baptist

If you read the scripture and see that it points to predestination/election why would you not hold to that position regardless of whether it goes for/against what you have been taught? And regardless of whether its something held to by reformed theologians or not?

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I apologize for the delay but I needed time to paste your post in word so I could read it. That orange was tough for me to see. I also didn't have much time when I first glanced at it.

Glad you made it through cancer infestation but be encouraged that you didn't make it alone. I'm glad you were kept here by God or we wouldn't have had this chance to support each other as a virtual family in Christ.

If I understand, times got tough and your son has lost his zeal. Does he have influence in the house that is helping him loose his zeal? I think kids often pick up from the adults and others around them. If you'd show hope and begin to pray with him I am sure his faith and zeal will return.

David said God is a very present help IN time of trouble. Notice he said IN as opposed to before we get in trouble. If we never had problems, we'd never know God could solve them. If we never had trials we'd never witness his ability to see us through. One thing about God's people, we're designed to live in the fire and rest in the storms.

If I may be presumptuous and say, it sounds like you had a faith, love and comfort built primarily on a two income situation. Sure, you had what you thought was happiness and security but often these things keep us from having a true relationship with God. This is why the Bible declares, "Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire (Mt 18:8)."

There are times when the earthly object of our hope must be purged or removed that we can establish a real Hope built on the foundation of Faith in our Lord and Savior. God is an awesome provider but he responds best to faith. You have experienced first hand how earthly treasures can rust, corrupt or be taken by the thief of this economic crises. Excuse me for putting it this way, but I think God has you exactly where he wants you. Dependant on Him.

When those earthly things left, so went your happiness and security. They were founded on earthly things. I challenge you to put all your hope and trust in God as your provider, sustainer and joy. Stop worrying about what's for supper and trust that if your God has sense enough to put green in the grass and the sun in the sky he sure knows your needs... O Ye of little faith... There is always joy in sorrow and if you only see the hell it's because you're not counting your blessings.

Don't be angry, be encouraged. You have a God who truly cares about His children and you should feel blessed just to know you're His child. I have joined StefanM in lifting you and your family before the throne...

1Pe 5:6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
    7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.