1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about speaking in tongue!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rev. Lowery, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Rev. Lowery

Rev. Lowery New Member

1 Corinthians 14:27-28 (King James Version)

27If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
    28But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

I whole hearted believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are active in this day and age I do not wish to debate this because its so debatable and everyone has an opinion and a verse to support there side so no point in going down that road.

My question is this, Out of the many times I have been to a church that has a person or persons that speaks in tongues why do the never have an interpreter and when I bring this passage up they seem to have some off the wall defense?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

In answer to your last question, I'd suggest that they (whomever they may be) don't want to have to give an answer, lest they be exposed. I have a somewhat humerous suggestion. If you speak either Greek or Hebrew, merely quote a couple of verses in that or another language, should you speak it, ask for it to be interpreted, and see what is the response. If it is as much "off the wall" or as much "out of the pit" as I suspect it might be, you can then merely give the English translation, and announce that that is what you spoke, just as Paul might have in I Cor. 12-14. It is not "unspiritual" or "evil-doing" to expose "hypocrisy" in any venue, especially the church, IMO. Paul did it with Peter and Barnabas in Galatians.

Ed

3. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

On the contrary, every time I've been to a church where someone spoke in a tongue, there was always an interpreter.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

sorry double post

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I've never heard an interpreter either. And I'll tell you why, because what your hearing isn't biblical tongues.

6. His Blood Spoke My Name

I won't go as far as saying the tongue is not biblical, but I will venture to say the interpretation most definitely is probably at least 99% of the time.

If, when one speaks in this unknown tongue, one is speaking to God, shouldn't the interpretation be heard as 'from man to God' rather than 'from God to man'?

We always hear the interpretation as a message from God to man, yet the unknown tongue is spoken to God and should be interpreted as to God.