1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for KJVOs"like me" can we translate from.....

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by azguitarist, Mar 2, 2005.

1. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Hum....it seems i have failed to read into C4ks question. Should we, Yes if We believe it it word perfect, no if we dont. it is that simple.because of the fact that C4K doesn't believe that we do have Gods perfect words in English we have no business translating out of english therfore as I said before it makes this argument futile.However since this thead was for "KJVO"s like me,I have only seen one or two that have agreed with me.

[ March 03, 2005, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: azguitarist ]

2. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

and since i didnt define ...Like me..... we have ended up here...LOL

3. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

I have not allowed feeling to get into my argument,nor will i ever..as to the best of my ability.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    az - I failed to read carefully your initial post title "for KJVO's like me".

I will step aside from this discussion. You have the absolute right on this forum to restrict a thread to a particular group.

I apologize.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Won't you please, please tell us which specific edition of the KJV is perfectly, word for word, letter for letter perfect so that we can KNOW which edition is worth using for translation work. Only ONE can be perfectly perfect.Please be honest and share with us where we can find it. If you have it and know it you are doing us a disservice by not telling us which KJV to use.

6. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

It may be that I am attempting to incite study upon yalls part to make a determination as to which "revision" is perfect."much study is weariness to the flesh" SO PRACTICE!

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Would it be wrong for me to just draw straws for it?

Pro 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.

8. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

I believe that God will and can convince an open and willing heart.as far as drawing straws for it.I dont believe so. however there was a man here once who said that was a possibilty" Drawing straws to make a determination.........

9. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

"here" as in my town....he said it was in the bible..however i have not studied that one out... so i cannot say it is wrong or right...however i lean heavily toward the belief that it is wrong...

10. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    English paragraph:
    Above paragraph translated into Spanish:
    Above Spanish translation re-translated back into English:
    My point is this, if I want Christians in other nations to know the Word of God as I know it, then our translations must come from a common source so they all say the same thing.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

12. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Pastor Bob,Where did you get this translation???
    It is in no way a correct translation.Whoever did this does not have a command of either of the two languages. examples forthcoming....

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This ought to be fun - watching Pastor Bob be corrected by this young man. Grab the popcorn folks ;) .

14. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

at this point let us only address this,English paragraph:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello, my name is Pastor Bob. This is a very important question to consider. Is it permissible to translate the Bible from another translation or is it necessary to refer back to the original languages? I believe that problems would arise unless the translations all originate from the same source. Otherwise, it would not take long for translations to imerge that are very much different.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Above paragraph translated into Spanish:

quote:
    Hola, mi nombre es Pastor Bob. Esto es una pregunta muy importante a considerar. ¿Es permitido traducir la biblia de otra traducción o es necesario referirse de nuevo a las idiomas originales? Creo que se presentarían los problemas a menos que sean las traducciones originen de la misma fuente. Si no, no duraría para la traducción al imerge que es mucho diferente.

Above Spanish translation re-translated back into English:

quote:
    Hello, my name is Bob Shepherd. This is a question very important to consider. It is allowed to translate the bible of another translation or is necessary to talk about again to the original languages? I believe that the problems would appear unless they are the translations originate of the same source. If no, it would not last for the translation to imerge that it is much different.

15. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Good,because a computer never will translate everthing corectly due in part to the fact that a computer can not reason or decide context,i wish it were that easy, how ever do i explain why this is true using the above example?

17. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe I have a pretty good command of the English language. The fact remains that substance will be lost in the translation process unless each work is translated from the same source texts.

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I have my popcorn! I have a very rudimentary knowledge of Spanish, and when I saw what Pastor Bob tried to illustrate, it just didn't seem entirely correct. This WILL be fun to see a man who knows both languages explain the problems as illustrated by our friend Pastor Bob.

Go for it AZguitarist!

In HIS service;
    Jim

19. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

If you are basing your belief on the altavista {mis}translation you have no grounds to stand on.

20. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

However pastor bob, when i said whoever translated this i was not aware that it was a computer job. therefore before i explain why it is not correct do you wish to remove this post?