1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question on Hardening

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by BBNewton, Feb 25, 2004.

1. BBNewton

BBNewton New Member

In Exodus God stated that he would harden Pharaoh's heart. The Scripture also records Pharaoh as hardening his own heart.

15 But when Pharaoh saw that there was relief, he hardened his heart and would not listen to Moses and Aaron, just as the LORD had said. (ch. 8)

3 But I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and though I multiply my miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt, 4 he will not listen to you. Then I will lay my hand on Egypt and with mighty acts of judgment I will bring out my divisions, my people the Israelites. 5 And the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD when I stretch out my hand against Egypt and bring the Israelites out of it." (ch.7)

In Genesis 8:21, God stated that every inclination of the human heart is only evil all the time. Jeremiah 17:9 stated that the human heart is deceitful above all things.

3 This is the evil in everything that happens under the sun: The same destiny overtakes all. The hearts of men, moreover, are full of evil and there is madness in their hearts while they live, and afterward they join the dead. (Ecclesiastes)

One belief is that Pharaoh must have had some goodness in his heart or God would not need to harden it. Could it be that by hardening, God simply allowed Pharaoh to do what his heart full of madness desperately wanted to do?

2. Yelsew2

Yelsew2 New Member

Pharoah intuitively believed that the Israelites were his property to do with as he pleased. Then along comes God's little meek and humble servant Moses who Demands that Pharoah "let God's people Go". Pharoah says, Wait a minute wiseguy, those are "MY PEOPLE", and they ain't goin' nowhere.

Giving up what you can't keep is the hardest thing in the world to do, and separating the Children of Israel from Egypt illustrates that principle in a Grand way.

There was intense pain in parting, but God said to Pharoah, I am just a bit bigger than you bub! And lo and behold, someone made a movie out of it!

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Newton,

I've been studying this issue in great depth for a couple of years now and this is what I firmly believe:

Pharoah, by his own choice, didn't want the Israelites to go anywhere. God didn't have to "make" him think that. He was self-hardened in that respect. Or "stubborn," if you will. That was his choice.

God needed him to stay that way until He had accomplished His ultimate purpose through him. What purpose? For His name to be glorified and revered in all the earth. 2 or 3 plagues may have been enough to convince Pharoah's stubborn will. Don't you think you would have been convinced after the rivers turned to blood??? That would change anyone's mind. Not Pharaoh's! Why? God had judicially hardened him. He had sealed him in his disobedience, if you will. Even the most convincing signs and wonders wouldn't shake this man's resolve. Why? God had a purpose to accomplish through this man's hardened heart. (The Passover had to happen)

This is what Paul is addressing in Romans 9. He is comparing what God did to Pharoah with what He was doing with the Jews of his day. How could these men see him put a guys ear back on and still kill him? How could they see him heal hundreds of people, feed thousands more and cast out demons and not believe? Same reason that Pharoah couldn't believe Moses. They were being hardened.

Pharoah was hardened so God could accomplish His will in the Passover, the Jews were hardened so God could accomplish His will with the atonement of the Passover Lamb.

The Jews hardening was just for a time and it wasn't to keep them from salvation forever. Paul explains this in Romans 10 and 11 very clearly. He fully expects to see some provoked to jealousy and be saved.

Hardened Jews are not the non-elect reprobates that Calvinistic doctrine tries to make them into. This is the greatest error of Calvinistic doctrine yet very few Calvinists are even willing to deal with it.

Just my thoughts. [​IMG]