1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question to ponder and answer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedBaptist, Sep 29, 2008.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

The Bible teaches Jesus came to seek and save that which is lost.

How can one lose something that was not theirs to begin with?

RB

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm neither ponder nor answer, so the question doesn't apply to me....I don't understand the question as it relates to Jesus.

peace to you:praying:

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think this is another question used as bait for a C/A discussion. I'm not biting this time. Learned my lesson on another thread.:saint:

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't understand the question.

Are you saying Jesus lost something that wasn't His to begin with?

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I don't get the gist to the question either. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Why make it into some deep theological debate?

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assume you imply that the sheep Jesus sought were always "sheep" (elect from eternity past) but had lost their relationship with God through Adam's disobedience.

Jesus came for the purpose of redeeming those sheep. Not to make possible (up to man) salvation for anyone. No one would then be saved. No one.

No, He came to seek and to save the lost sheep. And succeeded 100%. Not one of those elect, John reminds us, will remain lost.

What a wonderful Savior to His beloved.

7. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hi ReformedBaptist

You asked.......
    --------------------------------------------------
    Here are the two answers that I have come to, over the years:

When Jesus said.........
    (1) My interpretation as to why Jesus came to the backslidden Jews 2000 years ago,
    was to bring them back to the LORD!)
    Therefore, since Zacchaeus was a Jew, what he had lost was his fellowship with the LORD:

(2) And for those who interpret this, as talking to the unsaved: The thing that they lost was there innocence:
    (The day that they reached the age of accountability!)

Here Paul’s account, about when he lost his innocence.....

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think stilllearning came nearest to the correct interpretation of "lost". I will expand it though to mean the elect children of God, Jew and Gentile. In another part of the Scripture, in the Old Testament, God spoke to Moses about the coming of a Prophet who will speak His words to His people.
    In the New Testament, Jesus said that the words He speaks were not His, but His Father's, and He speaks only what He has heard. God's people were not lost in the eternal sense of salvation, as Dr. Bob has already stated. His people have always been, and always will be, His sheep, they were never and could never be goats who become sheep of their free will.
    God's people were lost in the timely sense, ensconced in the wrong doctrine, wrong practice, wrong religion, then and now, and it is these people in those state of lostness that He came to seek and to save.
    Consider the very Scripture that stilllearning quoted.
    Zacchaeus was not accidentally found by Jesus.
    Jesus knew exactly where Zacchaeus was, at what time, and in what manner, and consider what Jesus said to Zacchaeus as He looked up at that sheep:

(Luke 19:1-5)

And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.

And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich.
    And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature.
    And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way. And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.

9. ReformedBaptist

I think Dr. Bob's answer is correct. Not only did Jesus refer to the "lost" in relation to Israel, but He also said that He had other sheep who were not of that fold, and He must bring them also, that there would be one fold and one shepherd.

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

....because that is what you do....apparrantly.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first question is: in what manner is He going to bring them also, that there would be one fold and one shepherd.

Second question: Is there already one fold and one shepherd ?

12. JDale

JDale Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hmmm... This sounds vaguely Mormonesque to me. I didn't realize Joseph Smith was influenced by Calvinism...But it makes sense.

JDale

13. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

And to you, I say AMEN and AMEN.

14. ReformedBaptist

Aside from me falling on the floor and laughing...why don't you try to explain your assertion.

15. ReformedBaptist

My understanding to the first question is they are brought into the fold exactly the same way all are, by grace through faith in Jesus.

The second question is that there is already one fold and one shepherd. The Lord has broken down the middle wall of separation between Jew and Gentile and of the two made one new man, over which is one shepherd.

RB