1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questionable Doctrines of Watchman Nee

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Witness Lee, a cultic leader, claims to have learned doctrine from Watchman Nee. Others on the BB say that Nee is sound and should not be linked with a "so-called disciple".

Looking for solid issues/doctrines of NEE with which you have questions.

Thanks!

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

No, that is not what we said. We said that it was not fair to link Nee with Lee just because Nee may have taught Lee at some point in time regarding some matters of theology. Watchman Nee stands or falls on his own merit, or lack there of. Did he himself teach any false doctrines? If you have solid evidence that he did, please post it.

3. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Dr.Bob,

You ever eat watermelon?

Lacy

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I posted links on Nee on the other thread. I include links about the Local Church because that is concept Lee got from Nee.

More links on Nee
    http://www.apologeticsindex.org/n01.html
    http://www.xenos.org/essays/nee1.htm

Detailed info on The Local Church with links
    http://www.apologeticsindex.org/l40.html </font>[/QUOTE]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some "questionable doctrines" condensed from a couple of apolgetics sites warning of error:

Nee teaches the "second blessing." He later said he felt he had "recovered" truth for the church and taught four subsequent experiences after conversion.

Nee adopted "perfectionistic theology".

Nee taught a "partial rapture" theory assigning carnal believers to a kind of Protestant purgatory.

Nee adopted the teaching of gnostic and Catholic mystic leaders, seeing many parts to man's inner nature.

Nee identified with the teachings of the Plymouth Brethren, rejecting clergy as unscriptural.

Nee professed to be led by inner leadings. He justified this subjective means of revelation by saying that the ways of God are not known by external means but by "internal registrations." Again, he was rejecting external authority.

Nee did not regard tongues as unbiblical but never spoke in tongues himself.

G Richard Fisher, Apolgetics Research Center

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I just want to point out that I personally know Richard Fisher. He is a long-time pastor in NJ and has very good Bible knowledge. He evaluates things thoroughly and fairly and does not overreact. My comments on him may not mean much since you all do not really know me, but there they are, for what they're worth.

The mystical beliefs of Nee show up in the practice of "pray-reading," a method whereby one reads the Bible in a sing-songy way without thinking. In fact, they teach it is best not to think about God's word but to mystically absorb it this way.

7. Craigbythesea

More gibberish!!! Let's have quotes in context from Nee's writings or leave the man alone.

8. Craigbythesea

Am I to understand that the man who wrote this trash is a Christian? If I wanted to read a gossip column, there are plenty of tabloids out there!

appears to deny . . . . By all appearances . . . . a guru. One gets the impression from Nee that . . . .”

The man who wrote these words “appears” to me to have no awareness of the spirit of the Gospel message. Do you want a quote in context from this man’s writings? Here is one:

9. DeaconLew

DeaconLew New Member

I noticed that all the negativity about Nee/Lee has been centered around what someone else wrote about him and not from him, himself. Will someone actually quote where Nee believed in a "protastant purgatory," where he did not believe in the authority of the scriptures? I mean from Nee himself, not from someone quoting him, not from any "updated" or "abridged" rendering of his work; please site the source (title of book and page number).

Craig, should I see your writing as a key to spirituality? If not then shhh. Of course when we hear preaching or read a book from a man of God we should seek some sort of "key" to spirituality. The danger is in following the information we ascertain blindly by not seeing how it measures up to the word of God.

-DeaconLew

10. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I don't know of any writer I agree with fully. (The only church I ever went to where I agreed with everything the pastor said was the one where I pastored, and sometimes I argued with myself.) :D :D

Let Watchman Nee's "questionable doctrines" be examined individually for what they are. As for the person of Mr Nee (Or Mr Lee for that matter) let he who has no "questionable doctrine" throw the first stone.

I can tell you this much from personal experience: If you leave Nee out of your library, you are only cheating yourself. Many of his works are very edifying. He was not afraid to stretch the envelope and challenge the status quo. So he possibly missed it on a few points. Spit out the seeds.

Lacy

11. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

I have heard pro and con about Watchman Lee. I am no expert on Lee though I know he was martyred in China. It seems he had a Wesleyan background which would explain some perfectionist teachings and some of his beliefs like a baptism of the Holy Spirit has held by other Christians (D.L. Moody, Martin Lyod Jones) other than Pentecostals. I think that is a error but not heretical.

The Belief in the continuation of the Sign Gifts is something that the majority of Christians worldwide believe (Catholic, Orthodox, Charismatic, Anglican and many non dispensational Protestants). Cessationist theology is prominent only in Dispensational and Reformed circles of theology. I would also add that Lee probably did not have the advantages of Biblical training that we in the States have and thus could account for much of his erroneous theology.

I am not endorsing nor condemning Lee but let us also remember he died for his faith in Christ even though he was weak in much of his theology.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Craig, I really resent what you say about Pastor Fisher. Yes, he is a Christian. I happen to know him. He would never say what he does in that article if he were not sure of what Nee was teaching.

Another big fan of Nee is Rebecca Brown -- she who claimed that her friend Elaine married Satan in a church and then they flew on a jet plane together (Elaine and Satan, that is), and had champagne. Yeah, right. There's more! Brown quotes Nee extensively for her bizarre spiritual warfare teachings so maybe you can read those in context.

And we are supposed to be okay with the idea that there can only be one true church in each city? Then all of you not in Lee's Local Church are not really Christians. Too bad.

But if that's okay with you guys, I give up. :(

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

14. Craigbythesea

Amen!

15. Craigbythesea

When I read Lacy's posts, I usually have to spit out a lot of seeds :eek: , and some times there is no watermelon at all :eek: :eek: . But in this post I find nothing but sweet, delicious watermelon without any seeds [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] . Good work, Lacy! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Craigbythesea

Absolute trash! Some of the worst that I have ever seen on this message board! The data is 100% irrelevant but is posted with the intent to smear a brother in Christ.

There are some persons in this world who have nothing better to do than gather filthy gossip about others and spread it everywhere they can. They don’t have a job but leach off of the Christian community while dragging it into the sewers. What could possibly be more disgusting and despicable in the sight of God?

I most sincerely hope so, but I will not hold my breath.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Craig - personal question? Why the abnormally strong defence of Nee/Lee et al? I personally have no use for the "deeper life" mysticism movement in Christianity and hence brought up the topic.

But you have jumped to defend him every time. Just curious (answer if you care to).

18. Craigbythesea

I am defending a brother in Christ who gave his life for the Gospel. A very close friend of mine did the same thing. Both of them held to some beliefs that are contrary to Scripture, but so do you and a whole lot of other people. As some on the board are aware, some years ago I served as the senior pastor of an inner-city church and learned very quickly that one’s relationship with Christ is a whole lot more important than the details on one’s theology.

19. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Amen Brother Craig!!! Well said.

I would hate to have to stand next to Bro. Nee at the Judgment seat. Put me a little further down the line please.

Lacy

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

"One's relationship with Christ is a whole lot more important than the details on one's theology."

But when that person is teaching others and starting churches, Craig, then we are to judge the teachings according to the Bible. I am curious as to why you are so defensive about Nee.

This is not gossip that I posted; it's the facts of their theology. You are ignoring facts for some reason and acting like rejecting false theology is a bad thing.