1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quilters?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by mndloo, Feb 22, 2007.

1. mndloo

mndloo New Member

Are there any quilters here?

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm not a quilter but I live in Paducah, Kentucky, also known as Quilt City, USA. Each year, the American Quilters Society holds its annual convention here. (You probably already know that). Our population increases by about 25,000 to 30,000 people during that last week in April. Many of them come from Australia, Japan and many other foreign countries. We're the home of the Museum of the American Quilters Society, and gobs of quilting places within walking distance of the hotel.

Mindy, if you've never come here, you're missing a great experience. Paducah rolls out the red carpet for you quilters, and every hotel in a 50-mile radius is already booked a year in advance. We're right on the Ohio River at the mouth of the Tennessee River.

Oh, and you'll see more quilts than you can shake a stick at, as we say down in these parts.

C'mon down! Shoot, you can drive it in a day.

#2 Tom Butler, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2007
  3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I try not to be one. Quilters never win, you know.

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Im a quilter, Mindy! I haven't been able to make one in awhile since my 2 year old boy is so very active and I don't him to get into my quilting stuff. But it's about time for me to break out my sewing machine again.

I was just able to get some horse fabric and Ive got a pattern started in my head for a full-size bed quilt. Maybe soon!

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

My mom used to quilt a lot. I have many of her quilts, though she had probably made around 100 of them. She is in a nursing home now and is working on one... I hope most certainly that she can complete it.

I love the seashell quilt as well as the flower garden.

6. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Just like Saggy Woman, my late mother was quite a quilter. She won several blue ribbons at various county fairs in PA.

The greatest tribute to her quilting (at least IMO) was when the award-winning artist Wayne Waldron ( www.waldrongallery.com ) selected one of her quilts to be the focal point of his painting entitled "Grandma's Quilt."

(NOTE: Unfortunately, that painting was a limited edition and to the best of my knowledge is no longer available. However, his website will give you some idea of how skilled of an artist Mr. Waldron is.)

7. RadiantFaith

RadiantFaith New Member

Husband wants one

My Husband is wanting me to make a quilt out of his old tshirts but I'm really not sure where to even start. I've never made a quilt before but I do crochet and sew. Does anyone have any tips, websites, or books about tshirt quilts that might be helpful?

Vicky