1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quotes from Early Baptists :-)

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by A4GivenGirl, Nov 16, 2002.

1. A4GivenGirl

A4GivenGirl New Member

Luther Rice [1783-1836] founded the General Missionary Convention of the Baptist Denomination of the United States of America for Foreign Missions and was well known for his adherence to the doctrines of grace...he said: "How absured it is therefore to contend agains the doctrine of election of the decrees of divine sovereignty. Let us not, however, become bitter against those who view this matter in a different light nor treat them in a supercilious manner. Rather let us be gentle towards all men. For who has made us to differ from what we once were? Who has removed the scales from our eyes? Or who has disposed us to embrace the truth."

Richard Fuller was the SBC's third president from 1859-1864..He was asked, "Do you receive the doctrine of predestination?" He said: "Certainly. To reject it, I would have to stultify my intellect, to discard prophecy, which is based upon this truth, to abjure the unequivocal teachings of the Bible, to believe that God has abandoned the earth to chance and disorder, and to plunge into I know not what absurdities."

F.H. Kerfoot was a professor of theology at Southern Seminary and was the corresponding secretary of the Home Mission Board, he was so confident that baptists were calvinists, that he said, "And, in common with a large body of evangelical Christians, nearly all Baptists believe what are usually termed 'the doctrines of grace.'"
    These are just three quotes of many! Its so cool that the founders of this denomination were calvinists!

[ November 16, 2002, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: A4GivenGirl ]

2. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Just a point of clarification: two of these were founders / early leaders within the Southern Baptist Convention (Fuller & Kerfoot), Rice was an active Baptist in the south (and north) during his lifetime (the SBC was formed in 1845). [​IMG]

Rev. G

Nice! [​IMG]

[ November 16, 2002, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Rev. G ]

3. A4GivenGirl

A4GivenGirl New Member

:) thanks for your clarification on that! History is something that I find very interesting, so I'm always open to learning more and of course being corrected!! :) Thanks!

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Daniel Dunivan

Daniel Dunivan New Member

I can't help but point out that the first baptists were not Calvinist but Arminian: General Baptists under the direction of John Smyth and Thomas Helwys in England. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ November 18, 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Daniel Dunivan ]

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But these were just some of the early ENGLISH Baptists :eek: , so confused that they dunked themselves :rolleyes: , and soon got straightened out on the doctrines of grace!! [​IMG]

7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    No disagreement about the English General Baptists, although many of the churches, sadly, later slid into Unitarianism.

This thread -- I think -- is about Southern Baptist Churches in the United States. More later on the General Baptist influence on that group.

[ November 18, 2002, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: rsr ]