1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RA vs. non RA...undergrad vs. grad

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by webdog, Apr 28, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've been reading through the archives of this forum for quite a while. The majority of those advocationg attending RA schools is usually done in the context of grad work discussion. I don't see much mention of someone pursuing an undergrad degree that is not RA as being inferior to RA. Is this still your opinion...that undergrad work at non RA schools is a waste?

Are these non RA distance learning schools...you know, the "Baptist Board advertisers" (Andersonville, Bethany, LBU, Covington, Columbia, etc.) any good for undergrad work, or is the perception that all non RA schools are unworthy regardless of undergrad / grad work?

2. sister christian

My personal opinion, for what it's worth, is that I would not recommend anyone going to a school that is not regionally accredited. I started out at a school that was non RA (PCC) and I had trouble transferring credits. Therefore, all that work was essentially wasted.

Your intentions may initially be, as mine were, to go to that non RA school all the way through, and not advance further, in which case accreditation theoretically would not matter so much, but the thing about life is...things seldom go as planned.

I think it is best to stick to an accredited school.

3. Siberian

Siberian New Member

My opinion is that it is especially important to study with a RA institution at the undergrad level, and that there is less justification at that level for unaccredited studies. I say that because many pursue graduate studies for personal enrichment, while most pursue undergraduate studies for employment training - as a credential. Many (most?) employers won't even look at an UA degree (unless they know nothing about the process - but they can always learn later on and fire everyone with UA degrees). Also, if grad studies is on the horizon - even as a possibility - then one is wise to save himself from problems later on and just study at an RA institution.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

If you have an Undergrad from an Accredited School, don't you ALREADY have the equivalent of an Andersonville doctorate anyway?:laugh:

Seriously> you put RA not just accredited> you mean regionally accredited, right? So you would also include TRACS and ACTS accredited schools along with Andersonville?

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why are you reading into the OP that which is not there? Where have I EVER stated Andersonville is even remotely associated with TRACS and ACTS? It would help to actually read the OP. The point (again) is the discussions about RA schools here on the BB are mainly in regards to grad work. I was asking if these same convictions applied to undergrad work with these commonly discussed schools here.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Calm Thyself. I was asking for the purpose of clarification, not argument. What I mean to say, is that if it is important to get your undergrad work done at a RA school, that would disqualify not only unaccredited schools such as Andersonville, but it wold also disqualify schools who were only accredited through TRACS or ACTS.