1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Raise the Federal Gasoline Tax?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Jan 27, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Krauthammer had a column(http://tinyurl.com/37wfad) saying that a large increase in the federal gasoline tax could achieve President Bush's goal of reducing gasoline usage by 20% a whole lot quicker than his alternative energy proposals to achieve that goal over years and years.

So, what if the federal gasoline tax was increased by $2.00/bbl., phased in over 4 years, to attempt to achieve this 20% reduction goal? Would you support this idea? This could reduce our imports of foreign oil by 20% - including oil from "bad" countries associated with funding terrorism. This would make a whole more sense than the idea of terror free oil by trying to figure out which countries are "good" and which countries are "bad" to buy oil from - especially since oil is a fungible commodity.

As a libertarian I am opposed to such a tax increase but I am also pro-defense/national security. So does anyone care to try to make a case for this idea on a national security basis?

2. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

That is just what we need. More taxes. :mad:

How about the obvious solution to drill for oil in our own country. And or buy more oil from countries like Mexico, Canada.

3. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

I do see the logic in adding more taxes to fuel, if you add enough taxes to the point that gasoline becomes to expensive for us ordinary folks, then naturally consumption will go down by 20% and most likely more.

I would not support this plan though.
    I say we invade Mexico and take their gasoline.

#3 Petra-O IX, Jan 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  4. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Bush lables himself as a Compassionate Conservative. That is code for Liberal Republican. That is why he spends so much.

But even so, I did not see where in the artical that Bush was for the plan of raising gas taxes.

If fuel taxes go up. That means that food prices (and everything else) goes up.

5. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

And that means less gas to buy cause we can't afford it. I would like to see alternatives like commuter trains being used on a larger scale.

DeeJay, you got me on the original post after a quick read I had to do a couple of edits.
    So in conclusion Bush is really for tax cuts but also for spending money like drunken sailor.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's fine if one has the option to drive less.

What about the millions of people who don't work if they don't drive and are hurt more than just a little by this stupid proposal?

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

It also means less FOOD to buy, because we can not afford it. Gas prices directly affect the price of EVERYTHING else.

Yes, but I like to think of his spending like a drunken Kennedy. :smilewinkgrin:

In the west, you have to drive. We do not have good public transportation and everything is far away. I would not be able to get to work on public transportation. My parents (kids grandparents) live 150 miles away, no public transport over the mountain pass. And I live in a large city, what about the country folks. They have absolutly NO public transportation, what would they do.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our parents and grandparents made enormous sacrifices in order to win World War II. Question: Are we saying that we are not willing to do without to win the conflict with al Qaeda and those allied with them?

9. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The effect of higher taxes would throw us into a recession for sure. We have barely recovered from Nine Eleven here in the MidWest. Indiana lost jobs in December and our economy is very slow. The public is insincere about cutting down on oil consumption or increasing domestic production. Ethanol is an alternative that farmers like but it is only viable with a federal tax subsidy, as are most of the alternatives that Carter suggested years ago. In this case the environmentalists have forced this crisis upon the working man to a large extent by their refusal to exploit domestic resources. Nuclear electricity is an idea whose time has come. Afterall, France, the capital of liberalism, uses mostly nuclear power for electricity so it can't be all bad. Driving smaller cars, as Bush suggests, will probably result in more highway deaths as small cars are not as safe as large cars.

We have two more years of Bush, who is clearly a lame duck now. He spent a great deal of money but he was not able to buy friends and none of his ideas even get a polite hearing. The issues will have to wait on 2008 as we cannot afford to lose the war in Iraq and we cannot afford to throw the domestic economy into long-term recession over environmentalism just to please the left. Look for nothing to happen.

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

WHEN the goverment spends the taxes we already pay wisely and no longer throw them away on every entitlement program they can dream up, then they can ask for more. If needed.

If I am asked to sacrifice even more then 1/3 of my paycheck then the goverment should have already sacrificed there un-needed spending habit.

Look at it this way. If you were in the habit of going to the movies 3 times a week, eating out 3 times a week, buying every toy you wanted. Would you ask your friends and family to help you out with money. Would they be wrong to say no until you curbed you spending?

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like that unless the federal government gets itself in order that we the people are quite unwilling to be discomforted and are also quite willing to lose the conflict to al Qaeda.

I am not in favor of hiking the federal gasoline tax but I have found this thread to be very interesting and revealing - as I thought it would be.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

The purpose of the Iraq war is to secure oil for Bush and friends. It should be paid for with a gas tax.

13. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm, a revelation of your agenda.

Not that GWB want to secure our safety? But only to line his, and his friends pockets? wow friend.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying the burden will be born disproportionately by Americans and politicians cannot be trusted to use the extra money for anything at all to do with the "conflict with al Qaeda".

They're far more likely to use it for pork and earmarks and some form of redistribution of wealth to insure their future election.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, anyhow, that's your spin. I don't believe anyone said anything remotely close to that.

16. billwald

billwald New Member

Iraq was planning to demand payments for oil in Euros. This would have hurt Bush and friends.

Just as the Talaban's refusal to permit a gas pipeline across Afganistan and the eradication of opium hurt Bush friends. Three months after the Afgan war and the pipeline deal was done and now opium production has doubled.