1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RAM Question

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by preacher, May 13, 2007.

1. preacher

preacher New Member

Got a good one here...for me anyways!

I have an old Dell, the one I'm using now...& our old CTX which I'm tinkering with since retiring it.
    OK, here's the snag...I had bought a 128mb chip & put it in the CTX. When I found the Dell it only had the motherboard & processor so I scrounged up my extra ram & only had three 16mb chips, & the two original 32mb ones that were in the CTX. I tried the 32's in the Dell & it was a no go, wouldnt boot. I put the 16's in & it booted up but really slow. End of Chpt.1
    Now, I decided to try the 128 in the CTX in the Dell, figuring it wouldn't work either but tried anyway. Booted right up. So I left it & two of the 16's in to give me 160.
    Now the fun part...I got an old IBM which didn't work at all so I stripped it for parts. It had two 128 & a 64mb chips in it. They won't work in the Dell, but will in the CTX. All the chips mentioned are non-ECC chips.
    The big question is....Why does the first 128 work in either computer & all the others only in a particular one??

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Memory is rather like some old people, very cranky :laugh: There are different speeds for chips and motherboards. I've even see two of the same type in the same computer, one work and one not, but both work elsewhere.

Can be quite frustrating at times :thumbs:

3. preacher

preacher New Member

Yeah...whats gonna be sad is if the CTX runs faster than the Dell now...300Mghz compared to 450. Thats gonna make me want to put everything back in the CTX...just like my young days with cars...SPEED...MORE SPEED!!!!!