1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rate the Translations...

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by New In Christ, Sep 1, 2004.

1. New In Christ

New In Christ New Member

I'm curious as to how the following TR-based translations are viewed for accuracy amongst those here. BTW, I'd love to see this posted in the Baptist Only, Bible Versions forum, but I'm not Baptist by denomination (though I ascribe to nearly all Baptist distinctives) so I can't post there. If anyone is friendly with folks in that forum, see if they'd like to drop by here and give their input.

Anyway, rate the following, in descending order beginning with the most accurate and ending with the least accurate. I put them here in no particular order. If I have omitted some that really should be here, add it into your replies.

King James Version, and edition date (if known)

Geneva Bible, and edition date (if known)

Bishop's Bible

Great Bible

Tyndale's (I know he never finished the whole Bible, so just make an assessment of his New Testament translation)

2. natters

natters New Member

3. New In Christ

New In Christ New Member

Thank you for the link. I can't believe I overlooked the MKJV and the LITV, both of which I have on my Palm PDA, along with the KJV and the Geneva. I guess I was really thinking about the range of Bibles from KJV and earlier, but I don't mind others giving their assessments of newer MT/TR Bibles.

BTW, you may be right about the how many responses I get. I'm hoping to see more responses, though.

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pretty interesting. I was particularly impressed with the American KJV and the KJV Clarified. (still have to open up the zip for the Updated KJV 2000). on Public Domain, too! These versions simply changing the old words in the KJV, where the NKJV and MKJV I had been planning to make my own version by(now can be done so easily and quickly with the "search and replace" feature of wp and text editor programs. But now I see these people have done it already.

5. natters

natters New Member

New in Christ said "I'm hoping to see more responses, though."

I think in general, the order you have them in your first post is likely their order of accuracy, even if you didn't do that on purpose. But I would add the comment that "accuracy" would only be in terms of what they were translated from, and not necessarily what was originally written. In other words, there are occasional words and phrases that I believe that found their way into the traditional texts over the centuries, and although the KJV accurately translates them, those places would not be accurate in the sense of faithfulness to the originals (which of course do not exist any longer, so we couldn't even compare to be certain).

6. mioque

mioque New Member

From most to accurate least.
    Statenbijbel (1657 edition)
    KJV 1769 edition is tied with the Geneva bible
    Don't know enough about them to rate the others.

The first editions of both the KJV (1611) and the Statenbijbel (1637) are decidedly worse because of all the printers errors. The same applies to the first edition of any other Bible of the era.

Worth mentioning. the Douay-Rheims Bible (a translation of the Vulgate not a TR translation) is so close to the 1611 king James version that was translated later, that the KJV translators have been accused of plagiarism at times.