1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RC Sproul and Eschatology........

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Grasshopper, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

#61 Grasshopper, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
  2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Grasshopper, is it the Preterist view that Jesus has already returned? I'm a little confused. (What else is new? :laugh:)

3. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Preterist are divided into two groups, partial and full. The majority view is the partial preterist who believe most of the prophecies have been fulfilled in the events of AD70 and that AD70 was a coming of Christ but not the coming. They still hold to a future coming and physical resurrection of the dead. They would see the Olivet Discourse and much of Revelation being fulfilled in the events of AD70. Read most of the commentaries on Matthew 24 by scholars pre-1900 and you will see they treat the discourse in a preterist manner. Sproul, Spurgeon, Gill etc.. would hold to some or most of these views.

Full-preterist believe that the events of AD70 was the "second coming" and the focus of all eschatology.

Check out Sproul's "end of the age" study on the series I posted.

#63 Grasshopper, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
  4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks Grasshopper. What does the Full Preterist believe is yet to happen?

5. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

The continuing growth of the Kingdom and a non-ending Church Age:

Eph 3:21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Beyond this, I don't know.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Strange. I've never heard of anything like this.

7. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Till about 6 years ago, me either.

If you like to listen to sermons here is a guy I found several years ago while studying this topic:

http://www.sovereigngracebible.org/

When I first found him he was a partial preterist, if you go to the bottom of his sermon page you will find some great sermons on eschatology. I would check back ever so often to listen to any new sermons he had becuse I enjoyed his teaching. About 2 years later he had posted a new series on eschatology where he seemed to had moved to the full-preterist view. That series is called 'What are the Last Days". It is very interesting how and why he came to that view. I found similarities to my own study.

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It is actually probably the predominant interpretation among evangelicals, though I haven't counted heads. John Calvin, who was no friend of dispensationalists, said that the idea that this was referring to AD70 was "too far-fetched."

I think you are trying to force Paul into saying something he wasn't saying. Paul's intent there was not to draw a timeline, but to talk about the justice of God. He was promising the church that those who persecute them would not get off. God would take vengeance on them.

Because Paul was telling them about things to come.

I obviously have, moreso than you apparently.

No. There will be memorial sacrifices as Ezekiel describes. But they won't atone for sins. The blood of bulls and goats never did. Only Jesus did.

You would have to explain where we differ.

Yes of course. But when you read Ezekiel, you can probably quite easily see that he was not talking about the church. I don't think Ezekiel was wrong. As a result, I think there will be another temple, like Ezekiel said and like Haggai said.

Peter had in mind the culmination of the age and the end of the world.

Yes, quoting Scripture without dealing with the context is proof-texting.

I hope you will excuse me for laughing at this. Quite frankly, it is absurd. If you think what I have said isn't legitimate, it shows how much you don't know. the problem is that you don't know it. Feel free to disagree. But realize that what I have said about the end being near is the predominant position of all church history.

I never said any such thing.

Non eschatological verses are in a different context. You are missing the rule of interpreting Scripture in context.

That's silly and could not be more wrong.

If you can show any Scripture I have twisted I will be glad to change. So far as I can tell, you have not shown that. I don't put a lot of stock in your opinions, particularly when you give little evidence of having a background in studying the issue. You are asking me questions about stuff you should already know if you are this dogmatic about it. The fact that you have to ask me these things shows me that you haven't studied.

Then I invite you to stop this nonsense you have being bringing here and show this.

You haven't spent thousands of hours on this. If you had, you would not be as uninformed as you are. It may sound good, particularly since no one can verify it. But I am not fooled. I know good and well that people who talk like you do, and ask the questions you ask, don't know because they haven't spent enough time.

Quite frankly, for you to call me arrogant is beyond the pale. It is completely unacceptable. Being informed and studied on a topic is not arrogant. Knowing what you are talking about, and being able to explain it is not arrogant.

Your personal attacks against me are wrong. Feel free to disagree with me. I have no problem with that. But don't make personal attacks, particularly when you are attacking someoen who holds to the predominant historic position of the Christian church. You may be right, but I don't think there are many in church history who agree with you.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

It's not that common and been pretty soundly refuted. There is a reason not many people believe it. It has way too many exegetical problems. It can't stand the test of the text. And this discussion (in spite of Grasshopper's comments about it) really isn't a dispensational/covenant issue. Historically, no matter which camp you fall in, most have agreed with my position about the words in question.

10. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

11. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Amy you decide who is being truthful and who is not. "Pastor" is either intentionally decieving you or ignorant of what he says.

One can easily find the writings of scholars throught Church History. Here are some:

From the 1600's:

John Owen
    "So upon or in the destruction of Jerusalem, Luke 21:27, the Son of man is said to 'come in a cloud, with power and great glory' - and they that escape in that desolation are said to 'stand before the Son of man, ver. 36

To all the way back to the earliest church Fathers:

Eusebius​
    "--all these things, as well as the many great sieges which were carried on against the cities of Judea, and the excessive. sufferings endured by those that fled to Jerusalem itself, as to a city of perfect safety, and finally the general course of the whole war, as well as its particular occurrences in detail, and how at last the abomination of desolation, proclaimed by the prophets, stood in the very temple of God, so celebrated of old, the temple which was now awaiting its total and final destruction by fire,-- all these things any one that wishes may find accurately described in the history written by Josephus." (Book III, Ch. 5)

Clement of Alexandria
    "But our Master did not prophesy after this fashion; but, as I have already said, being a prophet by an inborn and every-flowing Spirit, and knowing all things at all times, He confidently set forth, plainly as I said before, sufferings, places, appointed times, manners, limits. Accordingly, therefore, prophesying concerning the temple, He said: "See ye these buildings? Verily I say to you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another which shall not be taken away [Matt. 24:3]; and this generation shall not pass until the destruction begin [Matt. 24:34]. . . ." And in like manner He spoke in plain words the things that were straightway to happen, which we can now see with our eyes, in order that the accomplishment might be among those to whom the word was spoken.

Athanasius
    "And when He Who spake unto Moses, the Word of the Father, appeared in the end of the world, He also gave this commandment, saying, "But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another" [Matt. 10:231; and shortly after He says, "When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place (whoso readeth, let him understand); then let them which be in Judea flee into the mountains: let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes" [Matt. 24:15]. Knowing these things, the Saints regulated their conduct accordingly." (Defence of His Flight [11])

Justin Martyr
    CHAP. XLVII.--DESOLATION OF JUDAEA FORETOLD.
    That the land of the Jews, then, was to be laid waste, hear what was said by the Spirit of prophecy. And the words were spoken as if from the person of the people wondering at what had happened. They are these: "Sion is a wilderness, Jerusalem a desolation. The house of our sanctuary has become a curse, and the glory which our fathers blessed is burned up with fire, and all its glorious things are laid waste: and Thou refrainest Thyself at these things, and hast held Thy peace, and hast humbled us very sore."(6) And ye are convinced that Jerusalem has been laid waste, as was predicted. And concerning its desolation, and that no one should be permitted to inhabit it, there was the following prophecy by Isaiah: "Their land is desolate, their enemies consume it before them, and none of them shall dwell therein."(7) And that it is guarded by you lest any one dwell in it, and that death is decreed against a Jew apprehended entering it, you know very well."

Amy here is a great site where you can read what scholars of everyview throughout Church History have believed. See if "Pastor" Larry is telling you the truth.

http://www.preteristarchive.com/StudyArchive/index.html

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I remember that site. A Baptist Board member relied on it for what turned out to be a bogus Phillip Schaff quote:
    Despite being notified of the error nearly a year ago, the site still contains the "Schaff’s History pg. 299" "quote".

13. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I am going to make a few last comments and then wind down m participation which was probably ill-advised from the beginning. I will make some general comments first, and then respond to a few specific comments.

There are several distinct issues here as I see it. First, the issue of the meaning of words; second, the issue of historical theology; third, the issue of study.

With respect to words, the words used in these second coming/parousia passages have long been acknowledged not to be precise time frames, but rather dealing with imminency. Thus “soon” “near” and the like can have the meaning that I have ascribed to them here. This position has been argued for centuries in eschatological discussions. It is not new.

With respect to historical theology, as I stated, the position espoused by Grasshopper is a minority position. Sproul himself, one minute and forty-two seconds into his first presentation agrees with me on that. That doesn’t mean it’s wrong. It simply means that the position I hold is the predominant position of church history, which is what I said in response to Amy. The fact that Grasshopper can quote people who agree with him was never at issue. Sproul wisely said that he does not come with a “fierce dogmatism” on this subject. Grasshopper would do well to follow suit.

With respect to study, my contention is that someone who has studied thousands of hours on this would not be asking me what a verse means. He would already know what the other position believes. Asking to “expose weak argumentation” is as silly as it is disingenuous. The type of arguments given here in support of preterism/partial preterism are not the type of arguments that typically come from someone who is well versed in the subject.

I am disappointed that Grasshopper decided to take the low road here and turn what could have been a good exchange of ideas into a personal vendetta. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Now for some specific issues:

This is yet another unconscionable personal attack. I am neither deceiving you nor am I ignorant. I said exactly what Sproul said … that the position Grasshopper espouses is a minority position. To quote myself, “… not many people believe it … most have agreed with my position about the words in question.” I don’t think there is any serious doubt about that. So I am neither ignorant nor deceitful. What I said was true, and Sproul agrees.

It is well established that some of Jesus commands were given to the disciples in view of their status as the coming church. To see that here is not unthinkable. I wouldn’t say Schaff, or Sproul, or Grasshopper is an idiot. I would simply say what I have said … That their position is a minority position and it can’t really deal with the textual issues, IMO. BTW, Don Carson agrees with you so you can quote him if you want recognizable and respected support.

Um, no. After AD 70, the persecution of Gentile Christians by Gentile unbelievers continued, as it has til this day. 1 Thess 2:14 talks of Thessalonian (Gentile) believers who suffered at the hands of their countrymen, (fellow Gentiles), even as they have of the Jews. Paul was writing to a specific group of Christians, but the things he said certainly are transferrable to other situations.

First, we don’t know that he didn’t tell them. All we know is that it wasn’t inscripturated. And that is because it wasn’t his topic. There are a great many things Paul could have written about but he didn’t.

What else would they be? They don’t atone for sin because 1) they can’t and 2) Jesus did. Just as the OT sacrifices looked forward to and prefigured the death of Christ, so the Millennial sacrifices will look backwards in memorial to the death of Christ.

Why do you think that is my belief? I think some have seen that as pertaining to the end of the Jewish age. I think they are wrong.
    Don’t you agree that context means something? If I talk of “coming,” you don’t know what I am talking about until you have a context to place it in. The same word in one context can mean something different in another. It is well known that there are certain “technical uses” of words in particular topics.
    In sum, I think it is exegetically unsustainable to try to shoehorn “a” coming of Christ into the destruction of Jerusalem in AD70. It is also unnecessary. We can allow the biblical text to stand as it does and maintain the integrity of the text and the truthfulness of the promises.

15. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

#75 Grasshopper, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2009
  16. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Now as to why I asked questions:

I asked if you believed the reason James said the coming was near was because all the signs Jesus gave had been fulfilled. You said:

I wouldn't argue.

Jesus said:

Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

The "all" encompasses everthing previous to verse 34.

Included in that was the parousia.

Mat 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

And the coming on the clouds:

Mat 24:30
    And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Most dispies get around this by saying what the text really means is "the generation that sees these signs will see His coming". But you admit that the signs were already fulfilled by the time James wrote his words. In fact, your insistence that all the "at hand", "near" and "shortly" words mean immenency.

1. The words in question do not always refer to time spans. They often refer to imminency.

Well an event can't be immenent if there are still things to occur before the immenent event. Therefore if all the signs had been fulfilled and the generation that sees those signs would see the parousia then by your own words you defeat your own argument.

Now do you understand why I asked questions?.

I am prepared to show more of your inconsistancies from the questions I posed to you. From whether the NT writers knew what the time statments meant to the warnings of Jesus about false prophets and the statements of James and Peter. But I will not, I'm too tired. If you wish to continue just give the word, otherwise :wavey:

I will leave you with one of your statements I do agree with you on:

I am no expert on this topic. There is much that I need to learn.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Because it shows that Sproul, who is vastly more intelligent and well argued than you and I put together are, is vastly more humble. He acknowledges that there is debate and the view he holds is not the one that most Christians hold.
    Start reading.
    I think there is a chance, sure. I don’t know enough to be that dogmatic on it. Surely you admit there is a chance you are wrong, don’t you?
    That’s silly and disingenuous. If you know what my position is, state and refute it. You haven’t done either.
    The issues have been. The type of arguments you are making are not the typical type of arguments used to debate. Usually the debate is carried on which much more grace and civility, tighter logic, and less “gotcha.”
    The point was that those who place time constraints on the return of Jesus are called mockers. That’s what God said. I didn’t say that. Remember one of the main contentions is that "the language of nearness means that Jesus had to come soon." Sproul makes the point that this is about the credibility of Scripture and Jesus. The mockers in 2 Peter said, "Where is the promise of his coming because all things continue just as they have ...?" They too thought the "language of nearness" required a soon coming, and God said they were mockers. Now, obviously they were skeptics and unbelievers. I do not accuse you or Sproul of being that. But I think there are some things worthy of thought there.

That was neither arrogant nor condescending. It is common, in biblical/theological discussions, for people not to know the meaning of Greek or Hebrew words. They simply work in English and don’t recognize the nuances of other languages. I suggested that perhaps you don’t know what the words mean. I am not convinced I was wrong.

What’s “many”? I was using “many” in a comparative sense, not an absolute sense. I don’t think most Christians believe what you have stated here. Prove me wrong if you want, but you will have to disagree with Sproul.

Yes, context.
    I have never made that argument. My argument about study was about having to ask questions (inane questions). I guarantee you that Carson and Sproul don’t need to ask me what I believe about verses. If you read them, and debated like they debate, you would win some people to your spirit. Quite frankly, I am disgusted with the way you have acted in this debate. Carson is a gentleman, as is Sproul. They do not talk like you do.

In 1 Thess 2:14, there are two persecutions: Thessalonians persecuted by their compatriots, and Jews persecuted by Jews. Paul makes a comparison that the Thessalonians were being persecuted by their compatriots, just as the Jews were persecuted by the Jews. In Acts 17, the persecution of the Thessalonians was probably not from Jews, but from fellow Thessalonians.
    If you look historically, many of the Thessalonians did not receive earthly relief. They died, were killed for their faith. The promise of 2 Thessalonians I think is an eschatological promise that will come when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with flaming fire to bring judgment on unbelievers. Whatever one believes about AD70 and prophecy, it was in Jerusalem, not in Thessalonica, and I think you would have a tremendously hard time saying how the Thessalonians who are being persecuted by fellow Thessalonians are relieved by a military campaign hundreds of miles away against a people that weren’t bothering them.
    The temple is the millennial temple. The man of sin is gone before the millennium begins. (Again, I have to wonder if you have studied for thousands of hours, why you would say something like that. It makes no sense that you wouldn’t have understood that distinction.)
    That is certainly a part of the exegetical process. You have to ask the question, “What are the various ways in which this passage could be understood?”

Why would you need offerings to take away sin in the millennium when the sin offerings never took away sin and Jesus did? They are certainly related to sin, but they don’t take away sin. They memorialize the death of Jesus.
    So do I. Our difference is not that you think it means something and I think it means nothing. Again, that is a disingenuous argument.

So to prove what first century Hebrews think something meant, you cited a 7th century Hebrew interpreted by a 19th century American?

This is typically called a theophany. They are all through the OT, primarily in the psalms and prophets, I think. But you would have to show some relevance to the topic at hand. If your point is that AD 70 was the judgment of God, I agree. But Acts 1 says that Jesus will return just like they saw him go. That is in the clouds, which didn’t happen in AD 70.

Which generation? You can’t just blow over that. If Matt 24 describes the events of the future, “this generation” is not the generation of Jesus’ disciples (of whom many passed prior to AD 70, which is a rather big whole for you, IMO). “This generation” is the generation who sees “all these things.”

Actually, v. 33 does not include the parousia in “all these things.” When “all these things” happen, the parousia ias “right at the door.”

I was referring to something different—the resurrection and the beginning of the church. Perhaps I poorly communicated. I don’t recall the exact post and you didn’t link to it here. James was saying that the end could begin at any time. I think that is the consistent position of the NT.

The word is “imminent.” You are trying to separate out things. For the NT author, “the end” spanned a lot of events. They were not always separated out as you are trying to do.

No. I think you are very confused about the issues. I think you have revealed some significant misunderstanding.

Feel free. I don’t think you have shown any yet. I think the only inconsistency is between what I believe and what you have claimed I believe. I think you have shown some inconsistency in exegesis in some places.

I think we all fit into this category, don’t you?

#77 Pastor Larry, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
  18. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Before I respond I need to clear up an assumption I have about your position that was based on something you wrote. So just to be clear, do you believe the rapture occurs then a 7 year tribulation followed by the Second Coming or do you believe the rapture and the Second Coming are simultaneous events?

19. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

PART 1

I agree, there is a debate and have never said otherwise. I also agree the view he holds is not the one most Christians hold. How could it be otherwise with the last two generations being brought up on The Late Great Planet Earth and Left Behind. See, I to am humble.

You read Hal Lindsey, I read Church historians.

Eusebius (You are aware of who Eusebius is?)
    "If any one compares the words of our Saviour with the other accounts of the historian (Josephus) concerning the whole war, how can one fail to wonder, and to admit that the foreknowledge and the prophecy of our Saviour were truly divine and marvelously strange." - Book III, Chapter VII.
    "And when those that believed in Christ had come thither from Jerusalem, then, as if the royal city of the Jews and the whole land of Judea were entirely destitute of holy men, the judgment of God at length overtook those who had committed such outrages against Christ and his apostles, and totally destroyed that generation of impious men."

Clement of Alexandria 150-215
    "But our Master did not prophesy after this fashion; but, as I have already said, being a prophet by an inborn and every-flowing Spirit, and knowing all things at all times, He confidently set forth, plainly as I said before, sufferings, places, appointed times, manners, limits. Accordingly, therefore, prophesying concerning the temple, He said: "See ye these buildings? Verily I say to you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another which shall not be taken away [Matt. 24:3]; and this generation shall not pass until the destruction begin [Matt. 24:34]. . . ." And in like manner He spoke in plain words the things that were straightway to happen, which we can now see with our eyes, in order that the accomplishment might be among those to whom the word was spoken

Tertullian
    "Accordingly the times must be inquired into of the predicted and future nativity of the Christ, and of His passion, and of the extermination of the city of Jerusalem, that is, its devastation. For Daniel says, that "both the holy city and the holy place are exterminated together with the coming Leader, and that the pinnacle is destroyed unto ruin." And so the times of the coming Christ, the Leader, must be inquired into, which we shall trace in Daniel; and, after computing them, shall prove Him to be come, even on the ground of the times prescribed, and of competent signs and operations of His. Which matters we prove, again, on the ground of the consequences which were ever announced as to follow His advent; in order that we may believe all to have been as well fulfilled as foreseen

Ignatius
    Seeing then that in the aforementioned persons I beheld your whole people in faith and embraced them, I advise you, be ye zealous to do all things in godly concord, the bishop presiding after the likeness of God and the presbyters after the likeness of the council of the Apostles, with the deacons also who are most dear to me, having been entrusted with the diaconate of Jesus Christ, who was with the Father before the worlds and appeared at the end of time."

Philip Schaff
    "The destruction of Jerusalem would be a worthy theme for the genius of a Christian Homer. It has been called "the most soul-stirring of all ancient history." But there was no Jeremiah to sing the funeral dirge of the city of David and Solomon. The Apocalypse was already written, and had predicted that the heathen "shall tread the holy city under foot forty and two months."

Alfred Edersheim
    "From the fig tree, under which on that spring afternoon they may have rested, they were to learn a parable. We can picture Christ taking one of its twigs, just as its softening tips were bursting into young leaf. Surely this meant that summer was nigh--not that it had actually come. The distinction is important; for it seems to prove that 'all these things' which were to indicate to them that 'it' was 'near, even at the doors,' and which were to be fulfilled ere 'this generation' had passed away, could not have referred to the last signs connected with the advent of Christ, but must apply to the previous prediction of the destruction of Jerusalem and of the Jewish commonwealth. This too is a very simple and satisfactory explanation of the words, This generation shall not pass till all these things be fulfilled. If those words be taken as His answer to the question, When shall these things be? (v. 3), they are easy of interpretation; but if their application be postponed to the far off future they present much difficulty.

those who are not preterist see it as well:

John Wesley
    "Josephus' History of the Jewsh War is the best commentary on this chapter (Matt. 24). It is a wonderful instance of God's providence, that he, an eyewitness, and one who lived and died a Jew, should, especially in so extraordinary a manner, be preserved, to transmit to us a collection of important facts, which so exactly illustrate this glorious prophecy, in almost every circumstance." (Explanatory Notes Upon the New Testament)

"This generation of men now living shall not pass till all these things be done - The expression implies that great part of that generation would be passed away, but not the whole. Just so it was; for the city and temple were destroyed thirty-nine or forty years after."

I agree, but one doesn't usully start a civil and graceful debate by insinutating the other is a Christ mocker and later a liar. Secondly the "gotcha" is pointing out the inconsistencies in the others position.

So in an absolute sense many did believe as Sproul.I would say fewer still believed what "most" believe today. Perhaps you can point out the numerous church Fathers who believed in a pre-trib rapture.

Evidently you know nothing of the kind of formal debates Sproul and others participate in. Weeks and months before debates, dozens of questions are exchanged between the participants so that each knows exactly what the other believes about every point the debate will cover. It's called preparation, so that when the debate begins time is not wasted by asking these "inane questions".

I wouldn't expect them to. Of course if you called them a liar and Christ-mockers their demeanor might change a little. Still pretending you took the high road, "Pastor"?

#79 Grasshopper, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  20. Grasshopper

Site Supporter

Part 2

Albert Barnes
    The particular reference here seems not to be to the pagan who were the agents or actors in the scenes of tumult and persecutions, but to the Jews by whom they were led on, or who were the prime movers in the persecutions which they had endured. It is necessary to suppose that they were principally Jews who were the cause of the persecution which had been excited against them, in order to make the parallelism between the church there and the churches in Palestine exact.
    In Palestine. the Jews persecuted the churches directly; out of Palestine, they did it by means of others. They were the real authors of it, as they were in Judea, but they usually accomplished it by producing an excitement among the pagan, and by the plea that the apostles were making war on civil institutions. This was the case in Thessalonica. "The Jews which believed not, moved with envy, set all the city on an uproar." "They drew Jason and certain brethren unto the rulers of the city, crying, ‘Those that have turned the world up side down have come hither also;’"
    Act_17:5-6. The same thing occurred a short time after at Berea. "When the Jews of Thessalonica had knowledge that the word of God was preached of Paul at Berea, they came thither also and stirred up the people;" Act_17:13; compare Act_14:2. "The unbelieving Jews stirred up the Gentiles, and made their minds evil-affected against the brethren." "The Epistle, therefore, represents the case accurately as the history states it. It was the Jews always who set on foot the persecutions against the apostles and their followers;"

Relief from what? Relief from their persecution at the hands of the Jews, whether directly or indirectly. That was accomplished in the Jewish War.

Yet when I asked about 2 Thessaolonians 1 you said:

Dispies don't say the church is gone here.

So the Church will see this:

2Th 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
    2Th 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

This happens before the rapture?

Believe it or not Jews lived in other places other than Jerusalem. Have you ever read Acts? Are you also aware the Jewish War was not limited to Jerusalem?

We are told that when Jesus gave this prophecy, the Roman Empire was experiencing a general peace within its borders. Jesus explained to his disciples that they would be hearing of wars, rumors of wars, and commotions. And did they? Yes! Within a short time the Empire was filled with strife, insurrection, and wars.
    Before the fall of Jerusalem, four Emperors came to violent deaths within the space of 18 months. According to the historian Suetonius (who lived during the latter part of the first century and the beginning of the second), Nero "drove a dagger into his throat.'' Galba was run down by horsemen. A soldier cut off his head and "thrusting his thumb into the mouth," carried the horrid trophy about. Otho "stabbed himself" in the breast. Vitellius was killed by slow torture and then "dragged by a hook into the Tiber." We can understand that such fate falling on the Emperors would naturally spread distress and insecurity through the Empire.
    In the Annals of Tacitus, a Roman who wrote a history which covers the period prior to 70 A. D., we find such expressions as these: "Disturbances in Germany," "commotions in Africa," "commotions in Thrace," "insurrections in Gaul," "intrigues among the Parthians," "the war in Britain," "war in Armenia."
    Among the Jews, the times became turbulent. In Seleucia, 50,000 Jews were killed. There was an uprising against them in Alexandria. In a battle between the Jews and Syrians in Caesarea, 20,000 were killed. During these times, Caligula ordered his statue placed in the temple at Jerusalem. The Jews refused to do this and lived in constant fear that the Emperor's armies would be sent into Palestine. This fear became so real that some of them did not even bother to till their fields.
    http://www.preteristarchive.com/PartialPreterism/The_Anti-Rapture_Page/matt24.htm

Let me restate as I erred in my question with the wrong Temple. I was thinking of this Temple that dispies attribute to the anti-christ:
    2Th 2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

I asked why Jesus or Paul never mentioned this Millennial Temple, you said:

It is the Ezekiel temple. But why would it be mentioned to the church? It is during the kingdom that the temple will exist again,

In giving your answer you indicate the reason for not mentioning the Temple is because it has no bearing on the Church.

I asked you again:

Quote:
    So the answer is NO. The NT writers don't mention this Temple.

You answered again, (you seem to hedge your bets on whether Jesus or Paul ever teaches of this Temple, a simple yes or no would work)

I didn't say that, but why would they? The temple would have no relevance for the church.

The point is, the reason for not mentioning the Temple is because it as no relevance to the Church. Then I asked you this:

Quote:
    Why is the Man of sin and the "Anti-Christ" mentioned to the Church???

You answered this:
    Because Paul was telling them about things to come.

So I am left to wonder,since I can't get a straight answer:
    Does this mean, by your logic, that the man of sin and anti-christ is relevant to the church since Paul taught of this? Secondly, if he taught of them because as you say "he was telling of things to come", why didn't he teach of this coming Temple as well?

Great question!!! Why are there sin offerings on this MK Temple? How do you say the sin offerings are different from the sin offerings found under the Old Covenenat:
    Lev 4:3 If the priest that is anointed do sin according to the sin of the people; then let him bring for his sin, which he hath sinned, a young bullock without blemish unto the LORD for a sin offering.
    Can you provide ANY reference in Eze. where the sin offerings are for a memorial? Let me answer, YOU CANNOT! Yet it is a pillar of your entire eschatological framework.

You get that from dispie books, not scripture. How are they related to sin?

#80 Grasshopper, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009