1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reading level of Bible Versions

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

He was busy coloring eggs and eating the ears off of chocolate bunnies, I suppose.

2. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    uhm. whats the issue with the easter translation? i fail to see the reason you are mocking.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A couple of thoughts here:
    - If you believe the KJV is the most accurate translation that is fine. Respectfully, I disagree. However, the bigger issue for me isn't getting somebody to read my preferred version but it is to get people to read a good version. The KJV is a fine version.
    - Again, language is really a preference. There are times when I will definitely refer to the KJV translation of a text in my preaching and teaching because I think they got the translation correct. I do this for other translations too. :)

4. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I take issues with other versions for many reasons. my sister finally decided she wants to start coming to church, and I ordered her a nice big KJV Study Bible. I must be cruel. :)

at least she will have the following verses: Matthew 17:21;18:11;23:14, mark 7:16;9:44

Also your little Easter comment:

E'ASTER, n.
    A festival of the christian church observed in commemoration of our Savior's resurrection. It answers to the pascha or passover of the Hebrews, and most nations still give it this name, pascha, pask, paque.
    Source: http://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/easter.html

So really.. its a fine translation, we just need to keep changing it up... almost as bad as the "contemporary church"

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Congrats on your sister going to church.

As for "Easter", just do a thread search, I'm sure there's a dozen or so threads on the subject already.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More examples of places in which the KJV was not literal;actually paraphrasing the Word of God. Some snips will follow.

1 Sam. 10:24
    KJV : God save the king!
    Literally : May the king live

Matt. 27:44
    KJV : the thieves cast the same in his teeth
    Correct meaning: insulting him with the same words

Luke 19:23
    KJV : the bank
    Lit. on the table

Eph. 3:21
    KJV : world without end
    Lit. of the age of the ages