1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reasons for saying the Pope is the Antichrist

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by BobRyan, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

SOME ARE MISUNDERSTANDING WHAT THE TERM "Come in the flesh" means. Here is an article by Mike Scheifler that explains:

Antichrist:
    Denying Jesus Christ is Come in the Flesh
    By Mike Scheifler
    http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/antichrist_and_jesus.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are only 4 verses in scripture that actually use the word Antichrist:

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
    1 John 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father:

1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2 John 1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

I would like to focus initially on the last two passages, that give a special identifiable characteristic of Antichrist. Clearly, the spirit of Antichrist denies the incarnation of Jesus Christ in the flesh. This seems initially to be fairly straightforward, but actually involves a subtlety that requires study and understanding to perceive the deception spoken of in 2 John 1:7. So, just what does "flesh" mean in those verses?

Defining The "Flesh"

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
    Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
    Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
    Rom 8:8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
    Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
    Rom 8:10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
    Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
    Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
    Rom 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
    Rom 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

1 Cor 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
    1 Cor 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
    1 Cor 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Clearly, "flesh" can be interpreted as synonymous with being a sinner, or "carnal", which is defined as lacking the Holy Spirit. Adam and Eve when they were created were in perfect harmony with God, and had a spiritual nature. When they sinned, they lost this spiritual nature, and became carnal sinners. Ever since the fall, the children of Adam and Eve and their descendents are born carnal, lacking the spiritual nature forfeited in the garden. So when John says that Christ is "come in the flesh", he is actually saying that Christ was born by a sinner that had a carnal nature.

Note what the following says about being carnal:

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
    Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
    Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
    Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
    Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

To be carnal is to be sold under sin. So Jesus Christ had to born of a sinner to "come in the flesh":

Acts 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
    Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

Rom 1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
    Rom 1:4 And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. ...
    Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
    Heb 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
    Heb 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
    Heb 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
    Heb 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.
    Heb 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

All Have Sinned - Except Jesus Christ The Son Of God

So Christ was born of a sinner, Mary, a descendant of Adam and Eve, and Abraham, and David, who herself needed redemption from sin, and this is something that she herself clearly recognized:

Luke 1:46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,
    Luke 1:47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Mary is no exception. As a sinner, she like the rest of us also needed a Saviour.

1 Ki 8:46 If they sin against thee, (for there is no man that sinneth not,) ...

2 Chr 6:36 If they sin against thee, (for there is no man which sinneth not,) ...

Psa 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Eccl 7:20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

Rom 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
    Rom 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
    Rom 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Rom 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Christ could only inherit the fallen nature of the children of Adam and Eve from his mother, because she was a sinner, yet scripture tells us that Christ was NOT a sinner, and never sinned:

Heb 4:14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
    Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
    Heb 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

2 Cor 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
    2 Cor 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

The Last Adam (Jesus Christ) Was Made Spiritual

Born of a sinner with a carnal nature, Jesus Christ knew no sin. How is that possible? How was His birth different from the rest of us?

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    John 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

While Christ was indeed born of a sinner that lacked a spiritual nature, He was also born of the Holy Spirit:

Mat 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

Luke 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Though born of the flesh of a sinner, Jesus Christ had before the incarnation, and from His conception, the spiritual nature that Adam and Eve had lost! So in total, at His conception, Christ had the nature of Adam and Eve before they sinned in the garden of Eden, which is to say both spiritual and physical.

1 Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

1 Cor 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
    1 Cor 15:46 Howbeit that was not first [Adam] which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that [last Adam] which is spiritual.
    1 Cor 15:47 The first man [Adam] is of the earth, earthy: the second man [Jesus Christ] is the Lord from heaven.

So a prominent characteristic of Antichrist is a denial that Jesus Christ "came in the flesh", which is to say a denial that He was born of a sinner (Mary), who herself could only pass on a carnal human nature.

Roman Catholicism Dogmatically Decrees That Mary Was Sinless

Note the following papal decree:

We declare, pronounce, and define that the doctrine which holds that the most Blessed Virgin Mary, in the first instance of her conception, by a singular grace and privilege granted by Almighty God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the human race, was preserved free from all stain of original sin, is a doctrine revealed by God and therefore to be believed firmly and constantly by all the faithful.

Hence, if anyone shall dare -- which God forbid! -- to think otherwise than as has been defined by us, let him know and understand that he is condemned by his own judgment; that he has suffered shipwreck in the faith; that he has separated from the unity of the Church; and that, furthermore, by his own action he incurs the penalties established by law if he should dare to express in words or writing or by any other outward means the errors he think in his heart. ...

Let all the children of the Catholic Church, who are so very dear to us, hear these words of ours. With a still more ardent zeal for piety, religion and love, let them continue to venerate, invoke and pray to the most Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, conceived without original sin. Let them fly with utter confidence to this most sweet Mother of mercy and grace in all dangers, difficulties, needs, doubts and fears. Under her guidance, under her patronage, under her kindness and protection, nothing is to be feared; nothing is hopeless. ...

Source: Ineffabilis Deus, Apostolic Constitution of Pope Pius IX on the Immaculate Conception (December 8, 1854)

The decree of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, that Mary was sinless from her conception in her mother's womb, is considered to be an ex cathedra teaching, from Peter's Chair, an infallible article of faith binding on all Roman Catholics. Catholics are also taught that Mary never sinned her entire life:

411 ... Mary benefited first of all and uniquely from Christ's victory over sin: she was preserved from all stain of original sin and by a special grace of God committed no sin of any kind during her whole earthly life.306

306 Cf. Pius IXs Ineffabilis Deus: DS 2803; Council of Trent: DS 1573 [ Sixth Session, Canon XXIII on Justification].

Source: Catechism of the Catholic Church, published by Ligouri Publications, English translation copyright 1994 by the United States Catholic Conference, Inc.--Libreria Editrice Vaticana, bearing the Imprimi Potest of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, page 104.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church, online at the Vatican.

Catholics also teach that Jesus Christ inherited his sinless immaculate nature from his mother Mary:

... we affirm that the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, the Word of God, who in His divine nature is from all eternity begotten of the Father, consubstantial with Him, was in the fullness of time again begotten, by be born of the Virgin, thus taking to Himself, from her maternal womb, a human nature of the same substance with hers.

Source: The Faith Of Our Fathers by James Cardinal Gibbons, copyright 1876 by The John Murphy Company, and 1980 by TAN Books and Publishers, Inc., ISBN 0-89555-158-6, 111th printing, page 137.

The same quote of Cardinal Gibbons appears in The Faith of Millions, by the Reverend John A. O'Brien, PH.D, copyright by John A. O'Brien 1938, published by Our Sunday Visitor, Huntington, Indiana, page 458.

Mary Declared The Mediatrix Of Salvation

Where does this alleged sinless immaculate nature of Mary ultimately lead in Roman Catholic Church teaching?

969 ... "Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation .... Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix."510

510 Dogmatic Constitution On The Church, Lumen Gentium, promulgated by Pope Paul VI, Nov. 21, 1964, section #62.

Source: Catechism of the Catholic Church, published by Ligouri Publications, English translation copyright 1994 by the United States Catholic Conference, Inc.--Libreria Editrice Vaticana, bearing the Imprimi Potest of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, page 252.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church, online at the Vatican.

See also: Salvation is obtained from... Mary?
    Movement to declare Mary Co-redemptrix underway!
    Worship of the Virgin Mary
    Mary the Divine Mother and Omnipotent Intercessor?

Mary has been elevated in Roman Catholic teaching to a Mediatrix of Salvation, interposing her between Christ and mankind, when scripture tells us there is but one mediator:

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Heb 8:6 But now hath he [Jesus] obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
    Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Taking The Place Of Christ On Earth

In addition, the Roman Catholic Church teaches that the Pope, titled Vicarius Christi (which is synonymous with the word Antichrist), takes the place of Jesus Christ on Earth:

... We [the pope] hold upon this earth the place of God Almighty, ...

Source: Pope Leo XIII, Encyclical Letter Praeclara Gratulationis Publicae (The Reunion of Christendom), dated June 20, 1894, trans. in The Great Encyclical Letters of Pope Leo XIII (New York: Benziger, 1903), paragraph 5, page 304.

Ask a Catholic a question about the Holy Father, and they will likely think you are talking about the Pope, yet this title is used only one time in all of scripture (John 17:11), and it refers not to any man, but to God the Father. The application of this title to anyone but God is a blasphemous antichrist usurpation.

It is also a papal teaching that not just the Pope, but every Catholic priest is, in fact, another Christ:

12. ... Thus the priest, as is said with good reason, is indeed "another Christ"; for, in some way, he is himself a continuation of Christ. ...

Source: Pope Pius XI, Encyclical Letter AD CATHOLICI SACERDOTII (On the Catholic Priesthood), promulgated on 20 December 1935.

Conclusion

By denying Mary was a sinner in need of a redeemer, Roman Catholicism denies Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, and this is the deceptive teaching and spirit of antichrist that John spoke of:

1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2 John 1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

And by teaching that the Catholic priest is "another Christ" and that Mary is a Mediatrix, Advocate, and Co-redemptrix, placing her between God and mankind and dispenser of all grace, the Roman Catholic Church fits this characteristic identified by John:

1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
    1 John 2:23 Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Claudia Thompson
    http://www.religiouscounterfeits.org

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Just a side note... Jms:2:19: Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

It isnt any big deal if someone acknowledges that Jesus came here.

This is the key:

Romans 8:
    3: For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    5: For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

To understand what this means read article by Mike S. in the post above that I just made.

The KEY is "God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh" Romans 8:3

1John:4:
    1: Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
    2: Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
    3: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
    4: Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
    5: They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
    6: We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
    7: Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
    8: He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

Do you notice something? What will those who have the antichrist spirit TEACH???

They will NOT teach that we must be born again and KNOW GOD and have LOVE.

1Jn:2:3: And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

1Jn:2:4: He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

1Jn:3:24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1Jn:5:2: By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.

Love means keeping God's commandments. Its the same thing (see Romans 13:8-10).

------------

Claudia Thompson
    http://www.religiouscounterfeits.org

[ April 17, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Claudia_T ]

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

My time to edit that above post expired so I have to continue on here instead...

Anyway, you see, Jesus came to earth AS A MAN IN SINFUL HUMAN FLESH... yet He overcame ALL SIN... He was tempted yet did not sin. Why? He showed us we could do the same, namely, overcome sin. He gave us the power to do that. Overcoming sin and having love, keeping the commandments, is the same thing.

The spirit of antichrist teaches that Jesus came with some special power and by that power was sinless... and so those who teach this false thing will end up having all sorts of unbiblical theories and practices... such as "just sprinkle a little holy water on you and you're ok" or... "just go to the confessional every couple of weeks and say a few Hail Mary's and then go out next week and sin some more".

Just some kind of outward thing performed upon you will make you "ok".. some kind of a "SACRAMENT", in this false religious system.

Thus, John in IJohn chapter 4 tells us that the antichrist will deceive people into believing they dont have to worry about having love for the brethren. In other words, keeping the commandments doesnt matter. Disrespect for God's Law... "that man of SIN... SIN... LAWLESSNESS" get it?

[​IMG]

Revelation 14:
    6: And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
    7: Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.
    8: And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication.
    9: And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
    10: The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
    11: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
    12: Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Notice those who dont get the Mark of the BEAST are God's people who "keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus"... what is the "faith of Jesus"? It is the faith by which He overcame all sin... just as we have to overcome by faith... and He offers this faith to us, that we too may overcome and keep the commandments.

The Bible talks about "The Beast" and antichrist... and the antichrist spirit.

There is THE BEAST and there are those also who teach the same message and have that same spirit.

[ April 17, 2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: Claudia_T ]

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

These two articles might help... (actually its one article split into two parts)

Lessons On Faith
    By A.T. Jones

A Dead Formalism-1
    --------------------------------------------------
    Unbelieving Israel, not having the righteousness which is of faith, and so not appreciating the great sacrifice that the Heavenly Father has made, sought righteousness by virtue of the offering itself and because of the merit of presenting the offering.
    Thus was perverted every form of service and everything which God had appointed to be the means of expression to a living faith and which could not have any real meaning except by the living presence and power of Christ Himself in the life. And even this was not enough. For, not finding the peace and satisfaction of an accomplished righteousness in any of this nor in all of it together, they heaped upon these things which the Lord had appointed for another purpose, but which they had perverted to purposes of their own invention--they heaped upon these things ten thousand traditions, exactions, and hair-splitting distinctions of their own invention, and all, all, in a vain hope of attaining to righteousness. For the rabbis taught what was practically a confession of despair, that "If but one person could only for one day keep the whole law and not offend in one point--nay, if but one person could but keep that one point of the law which affected the due observance of the Sabbath--then the troubles of Israel would be ended and the Messiah at last would come." --Farrar, "Life and Work of St. Paul," p. 37. See also pp. 36, 83. What could possibly more fittingly describe a dead formalism than does this? And yet for all this conscious dearth in their own lives there was still enough supposed merit to cause them to count themselves so much better than other people that all others were but as dogs in comparison.

It is not so with those who are accounted righteous by the Lord upon a living faith freely exercised. For when the Lord counts a man righteous, he is actually righteous before God, and by this very fact is separated from all the people of the world. But this is not because of any excellence of his own nor of the "merit" of anything that he has done. It is altogether because of the excellence of the Lord and of what He has done. And the man for whom this has been done knows that in himself he is no better than anybody else but rather in the light of the righteousness of God that is freely imparted to him, he, in the humility of true faith, willingly counts others better than himself. Phil. 2:3.

The giving themselves great credit for what they themselves had done and counting themselves better than all other people upon the merit of what they had done--this were at once to land men fully in the complete self-righteousness of Pharisaism. They counted themselves so much better than all other people that there could not possibly be any basis of comparison. It seemed to them a perfectly ruinous revolution to preach as the truth of God that "there is no respect of persons with God."

And what of the actual life of such people, all this time? O, it was only a life of injustice and oppression, malice and envy, variance and emulation, backbiting and talebearing, hypocrisy and meanness, boasting of their great honor of the law, and through breaking the law dishonoring God, their hearts filled with murder and their tongues crying loudly for the blood of One of their brethren, yet they could not cross the threshold of a Roman tribunal "lest they should be defiled!" Intense sticklers for the Sabbath, yet spending the holy day in spying treachery and conspiracy to murder.

What God thought and still thinks of all such ways as this is shown plainly enough for our present purpose, in just two short passages of scripture. Here is His word to Israel--the ten tribes--while yet their day lingered:

"I hate, I despise your feast days and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Though ye offer Me burnt-offerings and your meat offerings, I will not accept them, neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take thou away from me the noise of thy songs, for I will not hear the melody of thy viols. But let judgment run down as waters and righteousness as a mighty stream" Amos 5:21-24.

And to Judah near the same time He said the same thing in these words:

"Hear the word of the Lord, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah. to what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the Lord: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks or of lambs or of he-goats. When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts? Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth; they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you; yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear; your hands are full of blood.

"Wash ye, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isa. 1:10-18. The Lord Himself had appointed these feast days and solemn assemblies, these burnt offerings, meat offerings, and peace offerings, but now He says He hates them and will not accept them. Their fine songs sung by their trained choirs and accompanied with instruments of music, making a grand display--all this that they got off for wonderfully fine music He called "noise," and wanted it taken away.

He had never appointed any feast days nor solemn assemblies nor sacrifices nor offerings nor songs for any such purpose as that for which these were used. He had appointed all these as the means of worshipful expression of a living faith by which the Lord Himself should abide in the heart and work righteousness in the life, so that in righteousness they could judge the fatherless and plead for the widow and so that judgment could run down as waters and righteousness as a mighty stream.

Songs sung in the pomp and stylish intonation of a vain show are but "noise," while the simple expression, "Our Father," flowing from a heart touched by the power of a true and living faith and "spoken in sincerity by human lips is music" which enters into the inclining ear (Ps. 116:2) of the Heavenly Father and brings divine blessing in power to the soul.

This and this alone is what He had appointed these things for and never, never to be used in the hollow pretense of a dead formalism to answer in righteousness for the iniquity of a carnal heart. Nothing but the washing away of the sins by the blood of the Lamb of God and the purifying of the heart by living faith--nothing but this could ever make these things acceptable to Him who appointed them.

Bible Echo, January 28, 1895

5. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Lessons On Faith
    By A.T. Jones

A Dead Formalism-II
    --------------------------------------------------

Even this side of the cross of Christ, which itself should be the everlasting destruction of it, the same dead formalism, an empty profession, has exalted itself, and has been the bane of the profession of Christianity everywhere. Very soon, unconverted men crept into the church and exalted themselves in the place of Christ. Not finding the living presence of Christ in the heart by living faith, they have ever since sought to have the forms of Christianity supply the lack of His presence, which alone can give meaning and life to these forms.

In this system of perverseness, regeneration is through the form of baptism and even this by a mere sprinkling of a few drops of water. The real presence of Christ is in the form of the Lord's supper. The hope of salvation is in being connected with a form of the church. And so on throughout the whole list of the forms of Christianity, they have heaped upon this, ten thousand inventions of their own in penances, pilgrimages, traditions and hair- splitting distinctions.

And as of old and always with mere formalists, the life is simply and continually the manifestation of the works of the flesh--strife and contention, hypocrisy and iniquity, persecution, spying, treachery, and every evil work. This is the Papacy.

This evil spirit of a dead formalism, however, has spread itself far beyond the bounds of the organized Papacy. It is the bane of the profession of Christianity everywhere today, and even the profession of the Christianity of the third angel's message has not entirely escaped it. It is to be the worldwide prevailing evil of the last days up to the very coming of the Lord in glory in the clouds of heaven.

For "this know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, truce-breakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, high-minded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God, having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away." 2 Tim. 3:1-5.

This all-prevailing form of godliness without the power, and which even denies the power, is the dead formalism against which we are to fight the good fight of living faith. The living faith which is brought to the world in the third angel's message is to save us from being swallowed up in this worldwide sea of dead formalism.

How is it with you individually today? Is yours a dead formalism or a living faith? Have you the form of godliness without the power? Or have you by living faith the living presence and power of the living Saviour in the heart, giving divine meaning, life and joy to all the forms of worship and of service which Christ has appointed and working the works of God and manifesting the fruits of the Spirit in all the life?

Except as the means of finding Christ the living Saviour in the word and the living faith of Him, even this word itself can be turned to a dead formalism now as it was of old when He was on the earth. He said to them then (Revised Version), "Ye search the Scriptures, because ye think that in them ye have eternal life; and these are they which bear witness of me. And ye will not come to me that ye may have life." John 5:39, 40.

They thought to find eternal life in the Scriptures without Christ; that is, by doing them themselves. But "this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son"--as we find Him in the Scriptures and not in the words of the Scriptures without Him. For they are they that testify of Him. This is their object. Therefore, "he that hath the Son hath life, and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life." 1 John 5:11, 12.

"True godliness elevates the thoughts and actions; then the external forms of religion accord with the Christian's internal purity; then those ceremonies required in the service of God are not meaningless rites, like those of the hypocritical Pharisees." --Spirit of Prophecy, vol. ii., p. 219.

Bible Echo, February 4, 1895

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

The Dilemma of the Human Nature of Christ
    By Colin and Russell Standish

God's Word defines plainly that Christ took upon Himself our fallen, sinful nature.

Concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh (Romans 1:3).

For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit (Romans 8:3-4).

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, He also Himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For verily He took not on Him the nature of angels; but He took on Him the seed of Abraham. Wherefore in all things it behoved Him to be made like unto His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself hath suffered being tempted, He is able to succour them that are tempted (Hebrews 2:14-18).

But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons (Galatians 4:4-5).

While taking upon Himself our fallen nature, He in no way participated in our sin.

For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15).

Augustine and the Human Nature of Christ

Jesus by His life gained victory over sin, and by His resurrection gained victory over the result of sin-death. We might well ask how Evangelicals were led to the false view that Christ came in the pre-fall nature of Adam, when the Bible plainly teaches that He accepted sinful human nature. Once again, this error can be traced to Augustinian theology.

Augustine and his followers had a gigantic problem. Having assumed that we sin because we are sinners as a result of original sin, they were confronted with the fact that there is no way that Christ can be referred to as a sinner. Therefore, in order to support his false hypothesis, Augustine was prepared to postulate that Christ had an altogether different nature from that of the rest of the human race; otherwise He, too, would have been a sinner. Thus they rejected the clear testimony of the Word of God that we are sinners because "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). They also appear to have ignored the clearest definition possible for sin:

Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4).

Having ignored this definition, the adherents of Augustinian doctrine found it necessary to incorporate in their theology a Christ who had taken upon Himself the nature of unfallen man. As a result, they placed "Christ" wholly outside the deeper experience of humanity. Paul clarifies the humanity with which Christ came to this earth.

Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: and being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross (Philippians 2:6-8).

Some have incorrectly argued that this text, together with Romans 8:3, refers to Christ "like man" or in the "likeness" of sinful flesh. But the word translated "like" is the Greek word homoioma from which today we get the word homogeneity meaning "of the same order." Christ was made of the same order "as man" or "He was made of the same order as sinful flesh." True understanding of the human nature of Christ leads us to a much fuller understanding of the wonderful sacrifice that Jesus made in behalf of humanity. It would indeed have been an unbelievable humiliation for the Son of God to take upon Himself the nature of created angels. It certainly would also have been an even greater condescension to take upon Himself the nature of Adam before his transgression. But to take upon Himself the nature of fallen humanity was the ultimate evidence of His identification with the human race. The only divine strength He had was not resident within Himself, as it would have been if He had taken upon Himself unfallen nature, but His strength was from His Father alone.

I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and My judgment is just; because I seek not Mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent Me (John 5:30).

Representative of the beliefs of some Evangelicals is the following:

For centuries Christians have argued about the human nature of Christ. Some have believed that He could have sinned; but he did not. Others, including this writer, that He could not have sinned (Martin, W., The Kingdom of the Cults, Minneapolis: Bethany House, 1985, p. 433).

The Incarnation of Christ: A Mystery

It has been argued that though Jesus took the physical form of a degenerate human being, He did not take the spiritual form of such. But this reasoning would demand an allegiance to the Greek pagan concept of the dichotomy of body and soul-that the body is evil and the soul is pure. This Greek philosophy easily found a nesting place within apostate Christianity through the acceptance of Augustinian concepts. But there is not one shred of evidence in the Word of God that Jesus took other than our own nature, and it was through the power of His heavenly Father that He was able to resist every temptation of Satan. Indeed, not for one incipient moment during His life did Christ ever lose His relationship with God. In this one sense alone was He different from the rest of humanity. Matthew states,

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost (Matthew 1:18).

And Luke records,

And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God (Luke 1:35).

There is no human way to explain the conception of Jesus as a result of the overshadowing of the Holy Spirit, yet in faith we accept that Mary indeed was a virgin, having never had sexual relationships with any man. This fact allowed the babe to be totally overshadowed by the Holy Spirit, thus beginning His life and ending His life in complete conformity to the will of God. However, the same experience of Jesus from His conception is ours when, in the new-birth experience, we are born of the Spirit. Some have rationally argued that Luke 1:35 placed Jesus in an altogether different experience from that of normal humanity, because it was declared that Jesus was "that holy thing." This view, of course, is a reference to His unbroken life of sanctification. However, a simple comparison of scripture with scripture from the same author, Luke, demonstrates that this term was not unique even to the perfect Son of God.

(As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord) (Luke 2:23).

While undoubtedly this statement had a unique application to Christ, who indeed never once failed to repulse the persistent temptations of Satan, nevertheless as it is noted by Luke, every male that was born was considered holy unto the Lord. Contemplating this fact, we can well understand another text sometimes used to support the concept that Christ had altogether a different nature from ours.

For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens (Hebrews 7:26).

This text, however, is referring to Jesus in his High Priestly ministry after His ascension, and after He had been received by the Father. However, it would not be incorrect to apply this text in part to Jesus before His crucifixion, for indeed, unlike the rest of the human race, He remained "undefiled and separate from sinners" in that He was without sin, although upon earth He was not made higher than the heavens.

The Human and the Divine Nature

Let us look at this issue in greater depth. Christ possessed a dual nature, human and divine. Many, following part of the Augustinian package of falsehood, teach that Christ's human nature was unfallen, having misunderstood the true human nature of our Savior. Yet Augustine's position was established upon the false premise of man's original sin, which naturally led him to wrongly postulate that Christ could not have inherited man's fallen nature. Many times, inconclusive statements have been used to deny the certainty of conclusive statements of Inspiration which establish the human nature of Christ. There is little doubt that this topic has been greatly weakened by serious errors of judgment by many who claim to be dividers of the truth.

We developed a carnal nature because we each have sinned. But when we are transformed by the new birth, our carnal mind is replaced by the spiritual mind.

For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh: but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of Him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you. Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live (Romans 8:5-13).

Because Christ was plagued by the weaknesses of His fallen nature, it was far harder for Him to obey than it was for our first parents in the Garden of Eden. But by the constant infilling of the Holy Spirit, indeed He did obey, and obey perfectly. When these facts are appreciated, any concept that Christ had an advantage over us entirely loses its force.

Why is the Nature of Christ so Important?

We might well ask why Christ's nature is so important to our understanding of the gospel. What we believe colors our understanding of truth. In order to support the false concept that man cannot obey the commandments of the Word, it was necessary to postulate that Christ, who we all agree did obey perfectly, had a nature which cannot be ours. For if Christ obeyed in a nature that could be ours, there would be no excuse for sinning, and a central theme of most evangelical Protestants is that we will continue in sin until the return of Jesus. If Christ had the same fallen nature as ours, the theory that a Spirit-filled man cannot obey God's law would collapse. But the Bible speaks unequivocally of Christ's nature and declares it to be identical with ours.

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth (John 1:14).

Here, as in other passages to which we will be referring, the common Greek word sarx is used for flesh. In some translations sarx is translated as nature. The flesh or nature of Christ was no different from that of ordinary human beings. Paul clearly states:

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, He also Himself took part of the same; that through death He might destroy Him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For verily He took not on Him the nature of angels; but He took on Him the seed of Abraham. Wherefore in all things it behoved Him to be make like unto His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. For in that He Himself hath suffered being tempted, He is able to succour them that are tempted (Hebrews 2:14-18).

It will be noted here that He was born of the seed of Abraham. Abraham has been acknowledged as the father of the faithful. Nevertheless he was also a man who seriously flawed his life's experience by faithlessness in respect of the promise of God in the birth of his son, and in lying to the king of Egypt. There is no doubt that Paul understood that Christ took upon Himself our human nature. Indeed, one of the most powerful statements of the saving grace of Jesus again confirms this truth.

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit (Romans 8:1-4, emphasis added).

Here we see that Christ came in the likeness of sinful flesh and condemned sin in the flesh [sarx] so that the righteousness of the Law might be fulfilled in us who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. This text in a most remarkable way places the nature of Christ in the context of the victory we too can have, if day-by-day and moment-by-moment our whole strength is secured in the power of the Divine. When we understand this promise, there is no excuse for sinning. But even more powerfully, Paul gives us an understanding of the human nature of Christ in his letter to the Galatians.

Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world: but when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth His Son, made of a woman, made under the law, to redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons (Galatians 4:3-5).

Here it will be seen that Christ is made under the law that He might redeem those who are under the law. There is no disputing the fact that Christ was made under the law so that He could redeem us who were under the bondage of the law. Consequently, Paul could write so confidently of the High Priestly ministry of Christ for each of us.

For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15).

The Greatest Gift

To understand what Christ was willing to do for each one of us that we might be saved, reveals the love that draws us to Him. It draws us to Him, and with a deeper and greater understanding of what it meant for God to give His only begotten Son to the human race that we might have eternal life. In the illumination of this truth, we can understand the following texts with a depth of meaning not otherwise comprehended.

But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. . . . For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His life (Romans 5:8, 10).

Now linking this truth from Romans 8:1-4 with the final call to the human race in Revelation chapter 3, no question remains as to the reason that Christ overcame in man's sinful nature. Jesus overcame in our sinful nature to provide strength for us to overcome Satan's temptations.

To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with Me in My throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with My Father in His throne (Revelation 3:21).

7. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Those Christians today who teach that the ten commandment law was abolished at the cross do not realize they are putting forth the same message as the antichrist. While they teach that the law was done away with and also accuse those who say that we need to keep the law of being "Pharisees" and "Legalists" they do not realize it is they themselves who are following in the same footsteps as did the Pharisees of old... and that they are also helping along with Catholic teaching that says we can just "sprinkle a little holy water" and make ourselves holy, instead of having a thorough regeneration of the heart and the life through the work of the Holy Spirit.

It was the Pharisees who CLAIMED to keep the law of God and all the while were breaking it. Jesus NEVER told them not to keep it, He said they REALLY needed to keep it, genuinely. He said our righteousness needs to EXCEED that of the Pharisees, in that our inner life needs to be holy and not just an outward appearance of holiness.

Matthew 5:
    16: Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
    17: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18: For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
    20: For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.
    21: Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
    22: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus put forth the very same message as was given by Moses to God's people in the Old Testament, namely, that they were to be a light to the surrounding nations:

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew Chapter 5:13-16

New Testament Christians are called to be a light to the world just as were God's people in Old Testament times. This is because it is and always was all about God, and not only about us! And Glorifying our Father in Heaven by our good works and by keeping His commandments is the way that we become a light to the whole world, giving a true and living testimony about the God that we serve. Again in Ephesians we are told that our very existence is for the purpose of doing good works: Eph:2:10: For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Doing good works has a broader meaning in the Scriptures than giving money to the poor, helping the sick, and doing things to help the unfortunate. While things indeed are good works, Jesus clarified exactly what He meant in His remarks directly following the admonition to be a light to the world by saying:

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:17-19

"Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men: Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart." 2 Corinthians 3:2,3

EXCEEDING THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF THE PHARISEES

The Pharisees were continually accusing Jesus of breaking the ten commandment law of God. But He was careful to explain to the people that He in no way came to destroy the Law of God or to teach men to break it! And to even further clarify what He meant, Jesus said:

"For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment" Matthew 5:21,22

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matthew 5:27,28

In the precepts of His holy law, God has given a perfect rule of life; and He has declared that until the close of time this law, unchanged in a single jot or tittle, is to maintain its claim upon human beings. Christ came to magnify the law and make it honorable. He showed that it is based upon the broad foundation of love to God and love to man, and that obedience to its precepts comprises the whole duty of man. In His own life He gave an example of obedience to the law of God. In the Sermon on the Mount He showed how its requirements extend beyond the outward acts and take cognizance of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

In addition, the Pharisees twisted and CHANGED the law to fit their practices, which is exactly what the Catholic church has done with the Sabbath and other commandments.

Mt:15:3: But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

Mt:15:6: And honour not his father or his mother, he shall be free. Thus have ye made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition.

Mk:7:9: And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Mk:7:13: Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

So many "Protestant" Christians today do not realize they are following in the footsteps of the Pharisees and the Catholics in accepting this false religious system "lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof" 2 Timothy 3:4,5

They dont even realize why it is that Jesus came or what He did for us.

1Jn:3:8: He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

8. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

One last thing:

Pay attention to who it is that are going to be wide open for this delusion:

2 Thessalonians 2:
    2: That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
    3: Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
    4: Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
    5: Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
    6: And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.
    7: For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.
    8: And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:
    9: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,
    10: And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
    11: And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
    12: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

...those who did not receive a love of the truth and who had pleasure in UNRIGHTEOUSNESS. These are wide open and vulnerable to accept the deceptions of "the man of sin" (lawlessness).

9. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Claudia;
    Thank you SOOO much for that waste of space. You could have done us all a favor and posted links to your "cut and paste" job.

Had I wanted to read a book outlining the standard SDA position, I would have gone and found it myself.

To say that my Saviour took on sinful flesh borders on blasphemy.

No. I take it back. It IS blasphemy.

In HIS service;
    Jim

10. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Are you referring to Romans 8 as "blasphemy"??

Or do you simply mean that while CHRIST DID do this - He did NOT have a sinful nature?

If the latter - then try to do it without directly contradicting scripture.

In Christ,

Bob

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the real point and so lets not get too far from it.

What errors did John see IN HIS DAY that he was calling ANTICHRIST?? The details in the texts above SHOW that he considered this error to already be active.

Diocetism - claimed that Christ was God not human. (it did not cover the issue of sinful nature). It argued that Christ walked on water, passed through walls, went without food ... etc and so "must" not have been human.

So "in the flesh" meant - in human flesh literally.

The other obvious error was that people in John's day also said that Jesus was NOT the Messiah - NOT the Christ.

That is what is "actually mentioned" in the texts above.

No mention of the Catholic Church or the Pope there.

In Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A modern form of that error is to presume that Christ "could not be tempted" even though scripture says "He WAS tempted in all points as we are YET WITHOUT sin" Heb 4.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Bob;
    I stand by my statement.
    Scripture says He took on the likeness of sinful flesh, meaning He was a man. It does not say He took on sinful flesh. There is an infinite difference between the two.

The error is related to your discussion. Though Christ was fully man yet fully God, He did NOT have sinful flesh.

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So he "took on the likeness of sinful flesh" how?

As in -- in all respects but without sin? (without a sinful nature)??

OR He took on the likeness of sinful flesh as in "DID NOT take on sinful flesh AT ALL"?