1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Red Lake, MN shooting a result of evolutionary thinking?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Gup20, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And if your view is that the earth is billions of years old, and that man evolved from 'lower' forms of life, and thus "day" could be many millions of years-- might the "Day of the Lord" be many millions of years? And Judgment Day be many millions of years?

Anyway, the earth has gone through glaciations, as well as destructive volcanoes and meteorites, which are much more powerful than the nuclear bombs we could detonate, and yet the planet and its life still survived. This recent DNA tracing effort by the NGS included in an article that there may have been 'only a few thousand' humans left after the last "supervolcano" eruption about 70,000 years ago. If there should be survivors after any "nuclear holocaust," while the rest are raptured or destroyed, would they be really humans in the biblical sense of God-breathed and in His image? Or would they be something less than that, like these supposed ancestors living 70,000 years ago and much longer ago?

That brings another question to mind... were humans before "civilization" began around Mesopotamia humans in the God-breathed sense? How about Neanderthals? Java man? the ape men (as David Attenborough called them)?...

2. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I believe the first being created in the image of God and called man was the first whom God imbued with a soul. Hence, our soul or spirit constitues the image we share with God. It's what makes us unique from everything else.

3. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know if the shooting was a result teaching evolution, but I do know that it was a result of sin. Seems to me that murder happened long before the theory of evolution was formulated in the latter half of the 1800's.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That shifts the question to: Who has/had souls? Java man? Neanderthals? "ape men"? the parents of the "first whom God imbued with a soul"? Paleoindians? European cavepainters?

5. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

We are moral beings. What greater difference can you find between men and the rest of creation? If the soul is the moral agent I don't believe it's too difficult to determine who has/had one.

6. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

A most excellent question and I sure wish I knew how to answer it.

How would you judge the "humanity" of a candidate for humanity? Would any of these be reason to consider them human?

- The ability to control fire for cooking and heating

- The ability to draw pictures on the wall of one's cave

- The ability to sow crops and harvest them year by year

- The ability to fashion tools for hunting prey and otherwise altering the environment

- The ability to domestic another species for one's own food or other benefit

7. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed murder did happen. But we want to see the cause of THIS murder, not all murder. The young man in question was into nazism, which is founded on the principles described by darwinism - that races are superior to other races... and only the strong races survive. It removes the creator and therefore purpose... and therefore hope. Humanism is hopelessness.

8. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Gup

You keep repeating that.

Can you at least respond to my criticism of your claims in this post if you are going to keep posting the same thing?

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/66/52.html#000007

9. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

And if your view is that the earth is billions of years old, and that man evolved from 'lower' forms of life, and thus "day" could be many millions of years-- might the "Day of the Lord" be many millions of years? And Judgment Day be many millions of years?

</font>[/QUOTE]If there was a nuclear war and God did not intervene, I would expect a few tattered remnants of mankind to survive in the odd place here and there and barely eke out a living for a while . . . maybe even survive indefinately, but who knows?

But in my fanciful conjecture I see the Lord intervening and ending history at the time of the nuclear holocast and having judgement day at that time.

So how long before that happens do you suppose?

10. Mercury

Mercury New Member

[Ack, posted to the wrong thread!]