1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Red letter or Black letter

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by hawg_427, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

tinytim - I apologize for stepping on your comments, earlier, here. I had not read your post, and merely thought of a humerous response. So rest assured, I was not making fun of you. (Why does not the 'Delete Post' allow the actual deletion, is beyond me, but I can't get it to work properly. And I don't like the idea of 'posting' "Double Post", unless I have to, and refuse to 'post' a 'blank page'.)

There is such a thing as the 'Rainbow' Bible, where many different background colors are used for various subjects, that I've seen, although I haven't seen one recently.

[​IMG]

Ed

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, don't give them any idea's. They have already started rumors about John laying on his bosom.

3. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

4. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Here is a problem with red lettering: do we always know which words should be attributed to Jesus? No, not always.

For example, the ESV translators have at John 3:16 placed the end quotation mark at the close of verse 15, which seems to suggest that John 3:16-21 are John’s comments, not Jesus’ own words (although a footnote does offer the alternate interpretation that Jesus’ words extend all the way through verse 21).

Meanwhile, the red letter edition of the ESV continues with red print through verse 21, making its interpretation of this passage unclear.

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use a red-letter NKJV as my main Bible. I think it is easier for some for the words of Jesus to be indentified.

Really, I don't care what color the letters are as long as someone will read it!

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My Dad was color blind, he couldn't see red letters. Now that would be one interesting Bible... :laugh:

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From amazon.com:
    Scott Jeffreys comments on Cambridge's red-letter convention:

"I found it interesting (and really quite reasonable) to see that Christ's words in Revelation - red in other bibles - are not in this one. Someone else commented to this being a pity. But, IF you read the cover to the NT, you will see this: WITH THE WORDS OF OUR LORD WHILE UPON EARTH PRINTED IN RED. The while upon earth really is a much better approach to this issue. Yes, they are ALL His words - He is the Word! But I really like how the Cameo approaches red lettering."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.