1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformation Day - how will you celebrate?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Matt Black, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

31st October in case you didn't know ;)

I'll be selling indulgences. :D

"Roll up! Get yer indulgences 'here! Fresh this morning, straight orf 'is 'oliness's desk! I'm not asking an 'undred quid, I'm not asking fifty, I'm givin' them away for twenty. There you go madam - plenary for you is it? Roll up..."

What Reformation? [​IMG] :D

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ahhh Anti-Catholic time is here again.....

3. Matt Black

Site Supporter

quote:
    (That's just to wind you up, B-G
    :D

4. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

My Church celebrates Reformation Sunday on October 30 and the entire month of October is Reformation Heritage month. We also had a Oxford Martyrs Day remembrance on October 16 (Remembering the burning of the English Reformers, Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley).

5. Alexander

Alexander New Member

We don't celebrate Reformation Sunday.

We do, however, celebrate All Saints' Day on November 1.

Alexander

6. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

We will celebrate by the preaching of the Gospel in its purity and the distribution of both kinds in Holy Communion. Afterwards we will follow up with grilled beer-brats, saurkraut, german potatoe salad, and a showing of the movie "Luther"

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Perhaps I'll do a Hallowe'en costume as Johann Tetzel
    There's a funny story about him: "After Tetzel had received a substantial amount of money at Leipzig, a nobleman asked him if it were possible to receive a letter of indulgence for a future sin. Tetzel quickly answered in the affirmative, insisting, however, that the payment had to made at once. This the nobleman did, receiving thereupon letter and seal from Tetzel. When Tetzel left Leipzig the nobleman attacked him along the way, gave him a thorough beating, and sent him back empty-handed to Leipzig with the comment that this was the future sin which he had in mind. Duke George at first was quite furious about this incident, but when he heard the whole story he let it go without punishing the nobleman."

Source: Luther's Schriften, herausg. von Walch. XV, 446.

8. Bookborn

Bookborn New Member

In my lowly opinion (less than the spit on the bottom of Judas Iscariot's shoes), Reformation wouldn't be something to celebrate (at least from a strict denotation standpoint). Think about it. Do you really REFORM a cult, or 'come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers in her sins.'? It's like trying to salvage a sinking ship. Just GET OUT, and do me a favor and don't do me any more favors. Like we used to preach to delinquent kids at a particular boy's home in Natural Bridge, VA: "You guys don't need REFORM, you need REBORN." Rather than reformation, we need REGENERATION. Now, there's something to celebrate....

9. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Oct. 31st....... I'll be working at the fire dept. helping with a "Halloween Fun Fest/Carnival", trying to keep kids safe from getting bad candy, bad people, ect? Not my idea because I don't celebrate halloween.

10. west

west New Member

Start the day reading my Reformation Study Bible like I do everyday .Lord willing if I am still on earth by then !