1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Reformed Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Mike McK, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Reformed Theological Seminary is making some of it's classes and lectures available online through itunes and I'd like to download some of them but I really don't know much about RTS.

About the only thing I know is that Steve Brown is on their faculty, so they must be pretty liberal.

Does anybody have any thoughts on that school? Is this worth my time?

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mike Response

Mike,

I am not sure I have "talked" with you before, if not it is good to see you on this part of the BB.

RTS is thoroughgoingly Calvinistic. Having said that, that implies does it not that it is conservative and evangelical with a very high view of the Scripture.

I reside in Memphis. I know it by repute for many years now. The original RTS was in Jackson, TN. The FL campus came later. I can attest to their conservative stance to the Gospel, the Doctrines of Grace, and their high view of the Scripture. It may be TOO Calvinistic for you, after all it is Presbyterian.

Unless, and it is a BIG UNLESS, something has happened lately; say in the last year of so.

I would welcome others who have been there or who are going there to say "amen" to my testimony.

We will see, will we not!?

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I spend much of my time here nowadays in the music ministry forum, and havent really used these boards for theology discussions in a long time, but I want to get back to doing that. I look forward to seeing you here more often.

Thanks. That's kind of what I thought, but like I said, I know that Steve Brown is on their faculty and he's a flaming liberal (not quite as bad as his partner, Tony Campolo, but still a theological lefty) so I wanted to be cautious.

In any event, I do think it's pretty cool that they're offering classes and lectures for free on line. Maybe more Christians schools and seminaries will do that.

rd[/quote]

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I've downloaded some of their lectures; there're good. As Rhet. said, They are Presbyterian.

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mike Response

[/quote]

Mike,

I want to know if this is the same Steve Brown? from Key Life? a ministry of Campus Crusade I think (?) He comes on from between 12 Noon and 12'30 daily here in Memphis. He is on one of the BOTT radio stations--WCRV. Please check to see if it is the same person. This Steve Brown is not a "flaming anything,"--at all!! he is a radical disciple of Jesus Christ.

He is however, and I have heard him say so, a very good friend of Tony Campolo. I have also heard him say that he disagrees w/Tony on many-an-issue. Please do not call him a "flaming liberal" by his association with Tony Campolo. If you are a "Fightin' Fundamentalist" then you may view him as a liberal. But if you stand securely and openly in the Evangelical, Calvinistic, Reformed, Apostle's/Nicene Creed camp then he would "be a friend indeed!"

Could you please check out your assertion? The Steve Brown I am talking about also teaches at RTS in Orlando, has spoken God's grace to my heart in dire times, and is one of the best communicators of the Gospel that I know.

Please don't paint him "guilty by association." Please come back and tell me the rationale for the assertion. Please!!:praying:

sdg!

rd

#5 Rhetorician, Sep 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That's him. I was a supporter of his ministry for many years, and even sent them a lot of money over the years, but had to stop.

In all of the years I listened to him, I never heard him preach the Biblical Gospel. Telling sinners that God isn't angry at them or offering them "three free sins" isn't Biblical.

The truth is, if they're unrepentent sinners, God is angry with them and they're going to face His wrath come Judgement Day. Why would he encourage someone to sin, when he should know that that sin makes them enemies of God.

If you've ever heard his radio program (the talk show, not the KeyLife broadcast), then you know that he regularly has such liberals as Jim Wallace and Brian McClaren on his show and supports them and generally agrees with them.

He loves to tell people not to write him letters saying that he's anti-nomian, but the truth is, he is anti-nomian.

I understand that you like him and I'm not saying this to offend you in any way, but now that I know how you feel, I'd really like to hear some more opinions before I choose to invest my time in these lectures.

#6 Mike McK, Sep 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2007
  7. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

{If you are a "Fightin' Fundamentalist" then you may view him as a liberal. But if you stand securely and openly in the Evangelical, Calvinistic, Reformed, Apostle's/Nicene Creed camp then he would "be a friend indeed!"

The Steve Brown I am talking about also teaches at RTS in Orlando, has spoken God's grace to my heart in dire times, and is one of the best communicators of the Gospel that I know.}

I like Dr. Steve Brown, as well. Over the years I have learned to accept that I can get a lot from those I don't completely agree with. IMO I can develop some blind spots when I limit my teachers to people who agree with me (I'm not saying that anyone here is doing that). I take what I can and leave the rest. The professors at RTS are all Evangelicals and have a great deal to offer through those free courses.

Tom

8. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

9. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PF Response

PF,

Are you talking about my prior response?

Please clarify.

sdg!

rd:thumbs:

10. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Actually I liked your response. I too really like Dr. Steve Brown. I was trying to give my opinion on learning from other Evangelical teachers who we don't agree with 100%.