1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renting out your church facilites

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Salty, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you allow your church faciliteis to be rented out?
    Would you let a non attender use your church for a wedding?
    Would you allow a group such as the girl scouts to use the rec room?
    Would you allow support groups (with no religious overtones) such as AA or divorce recovery.
    Would you rent your building to a for-profit business who needs a classroom?
    Would you...

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't have anything to do with my church being used, we have a written policy.
    We rent for weddings. Yes non members are allowed to rent it for weddings. We have the biggest church around town, so a lot of people from other churches use it to get married.

Girls scouts have used the fellowship hall several times, the leaders are members.

We have no non religeous support groups who meet here. One rule is that there has to be a member in the group, and the group has to be approved by the pastor, then we all can vote to allow them.

No we would no rent to a for profit group of anything.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't know about "renting", but we have taken donations as long as the activity doesn't conflict with something the church has planned.

Non attender? There is a lot of money involved, plus, our church ain't that pretty for weddings. It is kind of gaggy.

The rec room? Where is that? If it was free, sure, bring anyone on. We would have people in there sharing the gospel.

Support roups? We started our own, with Christian overtiones.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem for us. We allow some to use it free (rescue mission graduation, training for area AWANA workers, groups coming in for concerts).

Other times we have written policies on rent, no liquor or smoking, clean up, etc. Better to have it all on paper and a deposit, even if used by church members for a family reunion.

Better safe than sorry.

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

We have allowed the local H.S. to have band concerts at the church, free of charge. The community senior adults have a luncheon there the 3 thursday of every month. To my knowlegde, no one has asked to use our facilities.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Our church has never, to my knowledge, been rented out. It is for member's only and it is free.

However, we have allowed free of charge, other Baptist churches to use our Baptismal when they did not have one.

7. LarryN

LarryN New Member

A few suburbs of Minneapolis over from me is Wooddale Church (Baptist General Conference), which has one of the finest pipe-organs I've ever heard. I've heard it at a Christmas concert a few years ago. Take a look at it:

http://www.wooddale.org/guest_center/organ.asp

Because of this organ, and because their 2,000 seat auditorium has outstanding accoustics, the Minnesota Orchestra and the Saint Paul (MN) Chamber Orchestra both use the church as an auxillary site for concerts & recitals in the SouthWestern Twin Cities area. The church thinks it's a great opportunity to introduce itself to people who would otherwise never enter the building.

Has anyone else ever heard of such an arrangement?

8. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I pastored in a larger city at a larger church we established a policy for allowing other organizations to use our facility.

As long as the organization's purpose was not in conflict with our purpose we allowed the use of our facility with the only stipulation being that they cleaned up after themselves.

The justification was that we by allowing the use of our building, made the Church more visible to the population of the city.

For example, a local nursing home used our building for training. Some of the folks being trained had never been to church before. When a crisis occurred in their lives guess what church came to their minds? The one they did their training in.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have been there for concerts, Larry. It is fabulous! Here in Casper we have our local college use a Lutheran church for much the same reason. Accoustics to die for. Place for antiphonal choirs. The winter concert will include Hódie Chrístus nátus est by Gabrieli, one of the intricate songs our madrigal sang back in 68.

Problem with ours is those Lutheran pews are stiff, unpadded and narrow for us long-legged type! But every time I go in, I pick up a bulletin and free info on their tables.

Wouldn't it be great to have everyone coming into a BAPTIST church and being exposed to our literature, bulletins, etc? Amen [​IMG]

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Pick up free lit at my church, too, Doc! Get you a bulletin and "doodle" while I preach----