1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Requesting elder authority/support regarding street evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I am going to request their authority and or support for my street evangelism ministry. I am sending this email.

Dear elders;

Myself and my friend xxxxxxx every month go down to the 16th street Mall to engage in street evangelism with the lost there. We pass out tracts and speak to whomever will listen about the gospel of Jesus Christ. We understand that the church has a different philosophy of evangelism in friendship/personal evangelism, but we still seek to preach the gospel to every creature (Mk 16:15, to be ambassadors for Christ (2 Cor 5:20), and his witnesses to all the world (Acts 1:8). Although we have not seen anyone saved as of yet we understand that the main reason to engage in evangelism is not to see souls saved from Hell, but to glorify God. In the book Chosen by God RC Sproul says that the main and primary reason to engage in evangelism is because Christ has commanded it (p.208-209, 1986 edition). So we continue to do evangelism in this way despite the lack of visible results. Also to note that the church carries books by Paul Washer and he is a big advocate of street evangelism.

So the main reason I am writing is to inform the elders that we are doing this and to request their prayer support.

Thanks,

John

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As is your practice on BB you are seeking validation for your actions. What will you do if your church does not endorse your street preaching?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that you are right to seek the support of your church in evangelism. Christians do not work alone, and a “lone” evangelist can be a dangerous thing (we are meant to work as a member of the church body).

I am not sure how your church works, but mine requires new members to be a member for a year before teaching or leading a ministry (although there may be exceptions). For me this means that although I’ve preached at this church in the past (recently, in fact), being a new member I will have to wait to teach or lead a ministry. It is important not only that your ministry work be a part of the ministry of your local church but also that your fellow members know you, know your doctrine, and send you out. They, in this way, get to share in your ministry because it does not belong to you but to Christ.

If you don’t know you church members well, then perhaps it would also be a good idea to spend time getting to know them and learning to function with this new church body (this part is hard for me….I’m not a “people person”).

Good luck.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read my other post?

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's probable that I read it. Now please answer my question.

What are you going to do if your church does not endorse your street preaching?

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already answered this question.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have the right idea; but the wrong implementation. I haven't read your message to your elders; but here's what you should do: Print it, ask for some time with the elders/deacons and/or pastor, and hand it to them in person.

Do NOT, do NOT do NOT send them an email.
    Do NOT, do NOT, do NOT put it in an envelope and mail it.

If it is YOUR church, then you MUST establish a personal relationship with them; and that won't happen through email.

Print it; schedule a meeting, telling them what the meeting is about, and hand deliver it.

If you don't do that, you might as well not belong to that church.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks JonC. I actually get along well with everyone at the church. I have had to go beyond my comfort zone and greet people as I am also shy at first.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You raise a valid point. I guess the same principle applies to the dating world. How can one establish a relationship with someone over the internet? Not easy.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

God is glorified when people are saved because He saved them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true and not once have I denied it. However the primary reason to do evangelism is not to see souls saved, but to evangelize because Christ commanded it.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture please

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 16:15

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither Mark 16:15-16 promise conversions when you go out to witness. Verse 16 says that "whoever believes, and whoever does not believe" indicating that conversions MAY not happen.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry that does not support your claim anything else?

16. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ commands us to "make disciples". That is the primary reason for evangelism.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. Mark 16:15-16 says to preach the gospel to every creature, or do you deny the scripture?

18. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I do not deny scripture. The purpose of preaching the gospel is to make disciples. It's not to be able to say you're being obedient.

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
    Mt 28:19 NKJV

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So let me get this straight, do you deny that scripture commands us to make disciples?

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John - consider this carefully.

Mark 16 and Matthew 28 are two different accounts of the SAME conversation -- as well as Luke 24:47.

Which account is correct? Answer: all three of them.

All three of them basically say the same thing: go out to all nations and preach the gospel.

You CAN'T focus on *only* Mark, just as none of us can *only* focus on Matthew. ALL scripture must be used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.