1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Requesting Opinions HCSB

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Stormbringer, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Stormbringer

Stormbringer New Member

Does anyone have an opinion of the Holman Christian Standard Bible? I understand that it was published through the Southern Baptists and is a respected translation, but when I found a Christian bookstore, they did not have any. I'm using it on my Weblog via RefTagger (great service, that!) and I like what I've seen, but I'm partial to the NASB and ESV.:thumbs:

Care to comment?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'll get some replies on this one. :smilewinkgrin:

But I use the NASB for study and preaching, but I have looked at Holman and like it too.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Never heard of it. I only use the old King James.

4. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

I use the HCSB translation quite often and find it very good. Easy to read (english is a second language to med), but at the same time accurate. When studying I often also use KJV and NASB to get a more literal translation.

5. Stormbringer

Stormbringer New Member

I like the HCSB when I've read it online, and I use it in my Weblog. Like you, I use the NASB when I want something more precise. I am not fond of the KJV because the source documents from which the NAS are translated are better. Also, there recently seems to have been a change in wording of the NAS to make it more readable. When I say "recent", it is because I did not know about the efforts to make it more readable, and my first NAS was back in 1976 or so.