1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Respect

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 8, 2011.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

OK. But we don't know who among them will be saved.

Do we suddenly respect them after they are saved?

Then what is the definition of respect?

Does the following passage reflect on that definition?

James 3
    8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
    9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
    10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.​

As "bad" as any human being is, they are made after the "similitude" of God.​

So much so, that to murder another requires blood for blood.​

I "respect" all God's creatures including rattlesnakes.
    However my respect for them means I know to stay out of striking range.​

In one way I agree with you but I would put it this way in terms of my repect for the billions of images of God in the family of mankind:​

I respect any sinner and my respect to unrepentant sinners made in His image is best shown by a witness to God's light shining into whatever darkness they are hiding.​

They are already condemned, our is not to reafirm that condemnation but be used of God to call them out of darkness. If they won't/can't come then the wrath of God abides on them.​

John 3
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
    19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
    21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.​

HankD​

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I repeat;
    The topic is not about God's mercy and telling someone about the Lord unto salvation. The topic is about respecting someone who is a sinner and in this case a particular type of sinner. Based on the definition I posted the answer is no I do not respect them. I would still tell them the truth out of love, but not respect them. I might add that just because I do not respect them based on the definition I would not disrespect them. I would and have shown them the love of the Lord by offering them freedom from their sin if they will repent and believe.

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

POINT ONE: Homosexuals are not any more given up by God than the rest of us.

All of the Above is True...

It is also True that the God who "gave them up to their desires" can also bring their hearts back to him and to trust in Jesus.

While Romans 1 does refer to God giving up people to "unnatural" desires, it speaks a few verses later of God giving some people up to "unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.

If God cannot redeem a homosexual, then he cannot redeem a coveting, envious gossip. Good thing he can.

POINT TWO: There are people we should respect and honor even if they are a homosexual...Like our parents. If a son finds out his father has been a closet homosexual for the last 30 years, he should still seek to honor that man.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I respect them as fellow human beings. I respect them, in their struggles, as being worth forgiveness and being able receive it. I respect them and will be friends with them. I respect them and will listen to them.

The minute we stop seeing people as people, and see them as less than that we assume the mantle of Pharisee and operate in a manner contrary to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

No. I've been invited and always respectfully decline. We don't send presents either.

That said, I have seen the "highlights" of this interview and I gotta say Piers Morgan way too obsessed with this question. He asks about it all the time. And why are people surprised with Pastor Osteen's obvious lack of ability to handle basic theological question? He's not capable of having those conversations. He's shown time and time again that he isn't able. (this isn't an excuse either, he should be prepared)

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting because hubby and I watched that video last night. :)

But I will be kind to homosexuals and I will continue to show them Christ. I would not attend a homosexual wedding because it's not a wedding - it's a pagan ritual that mocks God.