1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Results of Easter Sunday

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church has 45,000 on Easter Sunday and 4000 profess salvation (after service, sign a card saying today was first-time acceptance of the Gospel message). Then they walk out.

1. Everyone will receive by mail a Bible, Bible study book, basic Christian growth book, info on church, etc - week 1.

2. Everyone will receive a personal follow-up - week 2.

3. Everyone willing (from above contacts) will be enrolled in a 2-3 hour "Christianity 101" type class to go over basic truth, understanding the Gospel, etc. Many of these Easter Sunday "professions" are perhaps NOT really saved, but will get saved at that time. These are held each Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

4. Everyone taking the class and giving personally-written statement of faith (showing they really understand salvation, etc) will be immersed in believer's baptism, right after class on Sunday.

5. Everyone who responds to the above will be plugged into a "local church ministry" - nursery, parking, usher, youth, maintenance, office, etc. They will be encouraged to come and WORSHIP at one service, and come and SERVE at another.

6. Everyone who responds to the above will be plugged into a "local small group" who meet weekly for added Bible study and a world-wide scope in ministry outside the congregation. The church has 2300 small groups meeting.

The church is getting ready to assimilate 3000+ of those 4000 first-time professions of faith.

Wonder what YOU would do differently. Thoughts?

2. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

Nothing. This sounds outstanding.

MR

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I would sit back and rant about how PDC are "of the devil." :D [​IMG]

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

[​IMG]

5. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Dr. Bob, you are doing a great job and ... wait a minute.. oh..this is NOT your church?? Had me fooled.
    Seriously... someone has sat down and thought about all those folks who make a profession of faith and why they dont come back. I dont care WHO this came from and WHO the pastor is.. this is probably unprecedented "follow up". My problem with this discussion about PDL and PDC is that there are some who disagree (like me) with some of Rick Warren's beliefs and methods and refuse to believe that ANY of it is good. I think the above post started by Bob is an excellent idea and no it's not rushing people, it's about letting people know that becoming a Christ makes you a disciple, a servant, etc.. and this casual Christianity that we have all become accustomed to is NO GOOD. Great post and thanks for sharing that information from the book. Regardless of whether or not you like the man (Warren) and the movement, you must acknowledge good points.

Tim

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

What do you have to do to get that many unsaved people in the door?

7. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

It was Easter,,, those visitors were the "two-time Christians".. meaning they go to church twice a year. Christmas and Easter.

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Yes, yes, I understand that, but two-time Christians have plenty of choices of where to go to church. What do you do to lure them into yours? 4000 of them?

9. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Well I guess that depends on where you live. I am in Louisiana so we have a crawfish boil. In Texas, where you are, you can BBQ armadilla. Might work.

The size of the church alone is a draw, and I am sure they are aggressive in advertising. The type of church, being contemporary, is a breath of fresh air for people who are tired of traditional churches both formal and informal.

There is a big SBC church down the road from me, probably about 3,000 members, beautiful building, very bright inside and they have a band, contemporary services, etc etc. I went to meet someone over there after church on a holiday last year and the place was packed.

I guess the red brick churches of square design with a steeple on top is not going to draw people. That kind of thing never mattered to me but I guess the church has made itself attractive with the design, the brightness, etc. What y'all think???????? And.. let's remember.. we are talking about first-timers going in there. What draws them??? Think the members are aggressive in visiting?

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reality. Real messages, not fluff. Real people who really care. Real Gospel, not a sham 1-2-3-pray-after-me "soul winning" to get big numbers.

What is noticeable is what is NOT there. No TV ministry, no swallowing goldfish, no seeker sensitive crappolla of drama and watered down "preaching", no "personality cult" of a big-name preacher.

Also, having the killer in Atlanta being read from PDL by his hostage and his turning in repentance to Christ and surrendering to the cops WILL impress folks.

And being in an area of 13 million within an hour drive means a church with 40,000 is only reaching 1 in 825 people. That would equal in our county a church of 90 people!!

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I can only assume your speaking of Saddleback. But does not Warren begin to approach big-name status yet?

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is gaining notoriety fast, James. When I visited in October, Rick was speaking at West Point and then at Harvard. So we got an assistant pastor (Lee Strobel, the TV show anchor) to speak.

And I am sure some come now because of the book and the publicity - how many million copies?

But 25 years ago next week they started in a home, then rented a room at a local school. The present acres and nice building are less than 5 years old and can't even be seen from the public until you drive up into the property.

None of the Jerry Falwell TV type or Bob Schuler Crystal Cathedral.

And when I was there last week, he didn't even give an Easter message. He gave the same "5 purpose" message that he gave 25 years ago.

13. bjonson

bjonson New Member

Dr. Bob,

I'm sorry, but Warren's sermons and writings are in print for all to see. I'm not surprised you focused on numbers in your OP because Warren focuses on them too (although he says in several places he doesn't - contradictory).

I would be interested in seeing the "small group" Bible study material that his church offers. His sermons have very little depth; perhaps the small group material is different? Have you seen it?

Brian

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think this is very inaccurate. Warren is a big-name preacher, even though he started off just like Falwell. Falwell started his church 50 years ago with nothing. Warren makes it very clear in PDC that his service are seeker senstive. He says the music in Sunday mornign church should sound like the music on Monday-Friday morning radio. This is typical of his approach that comes loud and clear in PDC. His gospel is watered down and I used not to think that. I was willign to give him the benefit of the doubt. But recently on a TV interview he said that Terry Schiavo was in heaven because Proverbs says the Lord will preserve the simple. In one fell swoop you have a good example of his abominable exegesis and his weak gospel.

The PD philosophy of five purposes is excellent. Warren's appplication is certainly less than that. Let's not be fooled by numbers.

15. bjonson

bjonson New Member